Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Searched couldn’t find
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
d914
I know the 901 was capable of flat towing..but what about the boxster s tranny a lot of us are using?

G
DRPHIL914
if it’s manual and not tip, i don’t see why you couldn’t.
d914
thanks... Just a question that hit my mind and search on the boxsters all said NO but for a lot of reasons.. Possible reason on how the tranny is lubricated?
VegasRacer
A Boxster will not work as a toad. assimilate.gif
d914
thanks.. its actually a 14 w a boxster tranny. Was looking at dolly or flat tow and got to thinking I should check. Dont really have room for a trailer so it looks like uhaul trailer or drive it!! smile.gif
r_towle
Anything can be towed, but you may need an external transmission cooler, something simple that can be quick disconnect, small pump and cooler.
Van B
Do Not flat tow! Warning is right in the owners manual for 996/986 cars. Syncromesh won’t survive.
r_towle
Curious, why won’t it last?
My father added an external pump and cooler to a dodge van to enable flat towing without trashing the transmission.
It seems like a thing in the RV world.

Remco industries makes driveshaft disconnects and transmission pumps for many models of automobiles. Search for their name and give them a call. It may be possible to tow your car with their products.
d914
Flat tow or car dolly with a Boxster s manual 6 speed.
I have asked a re-builder of our beloved 901's to look at this question.
While he does not work on the Boxster tranny he has a working knowledge of manual transmissions, He went into the PET to look at diagrams and look for part numbers. There is no oil pump in the diagram for a manual transmission and there is no replacement oil pump.
Despite the normal issues of towing a low car like ours there is no obvious reason why we can not flat tow of car dolly a 914 with a boxster 6 speed.
"Based on my findings, no pump and the oil would be slung around just as if you were driving it. The gears are all enmeshed, always. In neutral, the complementary gears spin freely in their shaft and oil is still slung about by this. Same as a 901."
Literati914
Dang, now this has me second guessing flat towing the 914 w/ suby 5 speed manual … anyone done it?

d914
a quick google search seems to say yes. Corp suby seems to put some big restrictions on it but populaces seems to say yes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.