Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel fitment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
L-Jet914
I recently installed these wheels along with the stud kit to use the wheels. Drove it around to settle the suspension back down. I've read in older forum posts regarding clearance between driver and passenger side rear and vice versa. My passenger side rear had more clearance between the fender and tire, the driver side rear maybe has 1.5-2.0mm of clearance. I know I need to do an alignment on the car, but I think my factory coil springs have given up the ghost. So I ordered a set from 914Rubber. Do you think the springs may fix my issue or alignment? Tires on the Minilites are 205/55R15 currently.
ndfrigi
Just wondering what width is your minilite? If 6”, there should be no problem with 205x55 tires.
L-Jet914
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Apr 16 2023, 12:15 AM) *

Just wondering what width is your minilite? If 6”, there should be no problem with 205x55 tires.

Had to look at the FS post. 6.5x15 ET33.
71six
Can't say about 205 width tires but I'm running 195/65-15 tires on my lowered 914 with 6.5x15 Minilite wheels with not fitment issue.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914Sixer
The offset is part of the problem. Can not remember off the top of my head but thinking factory is 40mm your wheels are 33mm.
L-Jet914
QUOTE(71six @ Apr 16 2023, 03:43 AM) *

Can't say about 205 width tires but I'm running 195/65-15 tires on my lowered 914 with 6.5x15 Minilite wheels with not fitment issue.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Is the offset on your minilites the same as mine? +33? I will most likely end up going back to 195/65R15 tires that I have on the set of 2.0L Fuchs wheels which I had on before purchasing the Minilites recently. The tires on the Fuchs need to be replaced anyways as they are 11 years old at this point haha.
L-Jet914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 16 2023, 05:12 AM) *

The offset is part of the problem. Can not remember off the top of my head but thinking factory is 40mm your wheels are 33mm.

Looked up the specs on the PET. You're correct factory wheels are ET40.
71six
QUOTE(L-Jet914 @ Apr 16 2023, 12:01 PM) *

Is the offset on your minilites the same as mine? +33? I will most likely end up going back to 195/65R15 tires that I have on the set of 2.0L Fuchs wheels which I had on before purchasing the Minilites recently. The tires on the Fuchs need to be replaced anyways as they are 11 years old at this point haha.

I cannot tell you the actual offset of my Minilite wheels but I have assumed that all 6.5x15 four lug Minilite wheels for the 914 specific 4x130 bolt pattern were the same.

Mark
wonkipop
@L-Jet914 - 205 tyres might be pushing the limit. given drunken assymetry of karmann jigs. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

i used to have 195s on mine. no problem. except i hated the tyres. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
that was with standard star steelies. as i recall one side was a lot closer than the other at the rear. and the front tyres used to rub the inner wheel arches on full lock which really pissed me off. these days i'm back on the skinnies. which appear to be made of some soft stuff that looks like rubber but is probably chewing gum.

nice wheels. minilites are fab. beerchug.gif
L-Jet914
QUOTE(71six @ Apr 16 2023, 04:12 PM) *

QUOTE(L-Jet914 @ Apr 16 2023, 12:01 PM) *

I cannot tell you the actual offset of my Minilite wheels but I have assumed that all 6.5x15 four lug Minilite wheels for the 914 specific 4x130 bolt pattern were the same.

Mark

Like mine there should be numbers stamped on the outer lip 33x or similar and the date code as well. Was just curious.
L-Jet914
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Apr 16 2023, 04:16 PM) *

@L-Jet914 - 205 tyres might be pushing the limit. given drunken assymetry of karmann jigs. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

i used to have 195s on mine. no problem. except i hated the tyres. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
that was with standard star steelies. as i recall one side was a lot closer than the other at the rear. and the front tyres used to rub the inner wheel arches on full lock which really pissed me off. these days i'm back on the skinnies. which appear to be made of some soft stuff that looks like rubber but is probably chewing gum.

nice wheels. minilites are fab. beerchug.gif

Thank you for your input @wonkipop . I will more than likely switch back over to the 195's again. Like you I did notice tire rub on the inner fenderwells like you. So I try not to do full lock turns haha. Good ol' hand built vehicles where good enough was good enough haha.
Craigers17
@L-Jet914 Just to confirm....I sold Mark those wheels a few years back.....I think he had them refinished...(BTW Mark.....your car and those wheels look great!). They are the same as yours....here's a pic I took of them when I had them....

Click to view attachment
L-Jet914
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Apr 16 2023, 04:47 PM) *

@L-Jet914 Just to confirm....I sold Mark those wheels a few years back.....I think he had them refinished...(BTW Mark.....your car and those wheels look great!). They are the same as yours....here's a pic I took of them when I had them....

Click to view attachment

Thank you for your confirmation photo. I will have a photo with the wheels on my car after I do some more suspension work.
Dave_Darling
2mm is not much clearance; you may get a rub while driving around.

If the tight spot is on the top of the tire (which is common), then some more negative camber can help. Going too far with that can accelerate your tire wear, but that can be evened out by flipping the tires on the rim periodically.

--DD
L-Jet914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 16 2023, 10:36 PM) *

2mm is not much clearance; you may get a rub while driving around.

If the tight spot is on the top of the tire (which is common), then some more negative camber can help. Going too far with that can accelerate your tire wear, but that can be evened out by flipping the tires on the rim periodically.

--DD

Yes the top of the tire is the tight spot on the driver side rear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.