Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need tool for removing a f**d up screw
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
so, someone other than myself, broke the tip off a allen wrench in one of the screws on my steering wheel (momo) ...

now, i'm tool challenged (no garage), but i have used a tool to remove screws like that before,
just can't remember what it is called. it's kinda like a reverse thread drill thing ...

anyone know what i'm talking about? where would i get one and what's it called ???
idea.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
EASYOUT

sears has em.....so does the home depot ot lowes

beerchug.gif
SLITS
screw extractor................drill hole, insert and twist...it's threaded left hand so it "bites" on turning.

Vise grips on the head might work too!

A "stud extractor" might be useable also!
Joe Bob
The tip of allen wrench snapped off and is in the hole? Or the top of the allen headed screw snapped off?

The allen wrenches are hardened steel.....that gonna be a bitch to get out. The screws aren't so bad....
SirAndy
QUOTE (SEEMORE BUTZ @ Aug 12 2005, 09:09 PM)
The tip of allen wrench snapped off and is in the hole?

ayupp, tip of the wrench is in the hole ...

smash.gif Andy
Demick
What I usually do is take a dremel with a cut-off wheel and cut a slot in the head of the screw. Then I use a flat bladed screwdriver to get it out.

Demick
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Aug 12 2005, 09:26 PM)
QUOTE (SEEMORE BUTZ @ Aug 12 2005, 09:09 PM)
The tip of allen wrench snapped off and is in the hole?

ayupp, tip of the wrench is in the hole ...

smash.gif Andy

enuff to get vice grips on it?
SirAndy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Aug 12 2005, 09:37 PM)

nope, nice and flat .... sad.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Aug 12 2005, 09:39 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Aug 12 2005, 09:37 PM)

nope, nice and flat .... sad.gif

dremel 1st... then try the drill and EZ out..... if all else fails, snap on has a left handed drillbit similar to an easyout....

or...tack on a new alan key and turn it out?
SpecialK
Try tapping on the screw a bit to loosen the tip in the fastener bore, then use a strong magnet to extract it. Hopefully it'll come out, but it not, only thing you could drill it out with is a carbide tipped bit.

Is the head of the allen bolt exposed? Or in a counterbore?
Brian Mifsud
If all else fails, heat it (if you can).

My flywheel bolts had been ground down 2 engines ago by a previous owner to clear the clutch. (I guess they were being ultra frugal and had the flywheel machined down to a (thousandth-inch wink.gif ) of its life..

There wasn't enough hex head for a socket to grab. I used a body grinder to grind the heads off, thinking I'd just pull the flywheel off and then use visegrips on the shafts. In the act of grinding, I unintentionally heated them up enough that they started to spin out...

My dad made a career out of removing broken bolts and screws (rebuilt steel power plant pumps which were immersed in sea water). While he was a machinist, the first tool they all grabbed for whenever it was time to take anything apart was a torch.

good luck, and don't work on it while you are tired.. a goodnights sleep, and sometimes these things become child's play.

brian

Mueller
swing on by on Sunday if you still need help...I think it'll be cooler smile.gif
MarkV
Why don't you take all of the other screws out first and then rotate the steering wheel downward to unscrew the culprit. If it is like my wheel there is no flange to center the wheel to the hub. Once you break it loose you can unscrew it with your fingers. laugh.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE (MarkV @ Aug 12 2005, 11:18 PM)
Why don't you take all of the other screws out first and then rotate the steering wheel downward to unscrew the culprit. If it is like my wheel there is no flange to center the wheel to the hub. Once you break it loose you can unscrew it with your fingers. laugh.gif

The MOMO's adapters have lip that fit into the wheel so you can't rotate them outside the center of the wheel.

I would work it with a small chisel and lubrication as it's twisted in. You can find another allen screw so tap away at the head.

If that doesn't work, you can remove the wheel and adapter and drill the tool head out on a drill press and then use an easyout tool for the screw.
scotty914
get a real hard center punch and try to shatter whats left of the allen wrench

another option would be to remove the other screws and just grab the wheel on the other side of the one that left and snap off the head, then try vice grips or drilling whats left
redshift
or epoxy on a small flat rod end, pull the broken part out, and use the bolt again...

m
PatW
There is this acid at work called "tap out" that will, get a tap out of whatever its stuck in. Might be a little extreme though.
redshift
Tap-out... sounds like a wrestling thing?

smile.gif

M
rhodyguy
don't look at it. or, try some super glue on a slightly smaller allen wrench and see if it will stick so you can pull it out.

k
qa1142
QUOTE (Demick @ Aug 12 2005, 08:32 PM)
What I usually do is take a dremel with a cut-off wheel and cut a slot in the head of the screw. Then I use a flat bladed screwdriver to get it out.

Demick

I agree, this is first try. works very well
Jeroen
Allen bolts suck!
Allen should be hung by the balls for inventing them alfred.gif
rhodyguy
seemore clarified it guys. THE ALLEN WRENCH END IS STUCK IN THE HOLE!

k
Katmanken
Spring punch and a magnet.

If the broken part is wedged, spin it loose CCW with the punch and remove with a magnet. Might take a coupla tries.

Radio Shack used to have the adjustable spring punches. That's a tool everyone needs.

Ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.