Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New high torq starter - not extending and engaging
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
I had a new high torq starter installed recently.
It seemed to be working fine until today.

It spins fine, it just doesn’t seem like it extends a engages with the flywheel.

It was installed by a team who knows these cars well and had worked
until today. I don’t think the install was an issue.

Is there a way to fix this?

nditiz1
Might just need to replace it. 2 bolts and it's out.
RFoulds
Was it from WOSP? I had same issue. I asked WOSP for advice and they had none. Mine worked great for a couple of months. Then just failed to reach the flywheel and would just spin.
echocanyons
Thanks for the responses.

What would be the preferred replacement if the high torq starters are boat anchors?
nditiz1
I have 3 hi-torque starters in my cars. All starting 6s. 2 of them are from ebay and the last is unknown (already on the engine). I would think for as much as the WOSP ones are they would have at least a year warranty.
sportlicherFahrer
No experience with WOSP, but I have been running an IMI Hi-Torque for years without it skipping a beat. At the time I was planning a 3.2 conversion and picked up the 1.9hp unit. Bought it from the friendly folks at Good Vibration Motorsports.

IMI Hi-Torque @ Good Vibes Racing
914Sixer
911 late starter 1.8 hp SR68X
friethmiller
I've been running a WOSP starter on my 2.3L big bore for about 15 months without issue. Hope it stays that way. Sorry about your issues. It sounds like this might be a common problem. Good to know.
Superhawk996
For what it’s worth WOSP and other in this line of business buy a standard DENSO starter motor and then they machine the end plate for the specific application which is seemingly endless. Based on the size of the application list, I’d be willing to bet there is no serious validation testing on each application to ensure robust performance and fitness for use.

If the motor is spinning, you can almost bet the end plate isn’t properly machined or properly aligned on the DENSO motor such that the pinion gear is not able to throw forward and engage the ring properly.

You may want to remove the starter and then fiddle with it on the bench to see what is binding up the forward throw of the pinion gear.
brant
also for those that may not know...
the ebay knock offs a few years ago... were machined wrong.
they required a spacer be installed when the starter was mounted... because the Pinion was "throwing too far" and only engaging the last half of the tooth on the starter gear...

I have replaced a buddy's flywheel on a -6
we found half of the starter gear teeth worn off... causing the pinion to just spin and not engage... destroyed the flywheel and required new.

the spacer lined the pinion throw up correctly with the ring teeth.

the IMI-high torque never had this problem
I have one in my -6 that is 20 years old now.
it was only a batch of the ebay knock offs that had this problem
I'm not saying this is your problem... just one that I have seen in the past.

you should be able to pull the starter and use a flashlight to inspect the starter gear on the flywheel. harder to see the back side of those teeth... but you will feel it with your finger if there is a problem. Multiple threads on this site about 10 years ago outlining the problem

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.