Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Longer wheel bolts for Pedrini wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Green626
All,
I just purchased a set of Pedrini wheels for my 1972 1.7 - it sounds like I might need longer wheel bolts - I wanted to find out if that was required or if I can clean up and use my stock bolts.

thanks for the info
brant
depends what bolts and wheels you had prior to the pedrini's

the stock steel wheels came with shorter bolts
all of the mag wheels came with longer bolts from the factory
so if your replacing steel... yes you will need to find used or new bolts that have the correct length... but also the correct seat-face for the wheels.

brant
Green626
I currently have a set of riviera wheels - looks like they use the stock 19 mm head short bolt
but it sounds like I need the longer bolts.
brant
sounds like it.

used ones come up from time to time here.
but pretty sure I recall, someone is selling the correct ones aftermarket also...
maybe 914 rubber?

not certain... just remember seeing them somewhere available aftermarket-new

there are threads somewhere on this site with the discussion/measurement about it.

brant
mepstein
Pretty easy to tell. Do you have about an inch of bolt showing when they are seated in the wheel. You need enough threats to secure completely through the hub flange.
914Sixer
You need 40mm long bolts. Measure that length from under the head. Bolts HAVE to be BALL SEAT. Here is some options. 20 pack so you get some extras.
rick 918-S
Also Ball Seat not tapered seat.
Green626
Thanks for all the great information. now on to refinishing these wheels

Nick
dr914@autoatlanta.com
have to use 40mm shank

We sell GOOD aftermarket ones that work and they are inexpensive

QUOTE(Green626 @ Apr 17 2023, 10:56 AM) *

All,
I just purchased a set of Pedrini wheels for my 1972 1.7 - it sounds like I might need longer wheel bolts - I wanted to find out if that was required or if I can clean up and use my stock bolts.

thanks for the info

bdstone914
The correct length needed for alloys is 38mm. There are several suppliers of aftermarket lug bolts but most have a 17mm hex. Original bolts usually sell for $100-150 a set. Aftermarket ones are about $4 each. Make sure you get them for the ball seat not taper seat.
davep
Strictly speaking you only need the long bolts for the rear if I remember correctly. This is because the rear brake rotor thickness. I believe the standard bolts are long enough to fully thread in the front rotors. So a good set of used bolts for the rear would do it I think.
The other option is to fit studs in the rear rotors and use nuts; this makes it so much easier to mount the wheels.
914werke
Its also worth noting that unless you have a matching Alloy spare, you need to carry x4 of the short non-alloy lug bolts.
The reason being if you ever find yourself changing a rear tire & install a Steelie (common to be carried as a spare) with the long bolts vs the short ones in the rear .... bad things will happen.
bzettner
QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 18 2023, 06:24 PM) *

Its also worth noting that unless you have a matching Alloy spare, you need to carry x4 of the short non-alloy lug bolts.
The reason being if you ever find yourself changing a rear tire & install a Steelie (common to be carried as a spare) with the long bolts vs the short one in the rear .... bad things will happen.

agree.gif

AND, make sure you have a 17mm socket for the Pedrinis long lug bolts and a 19mm socket for the steel spare along with the (4) short lug bolts
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.