Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Audi Engines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
If anyone here knows about Audi's, I am considering a used Audi and I want to know what one would recommend between the 2.6 V6 engine and the 1.8T 4 cyl. My main objective is reliability, being that this will be the wifes car. Are both engines the interference type, because I hear that the timing belt is a critical issue on these cars.
JohnB
I've owned Audis of various flavors since 1981 and I'd go with the 2.8 V6. Turbos are pretty reliable and my current car has two of them (Allroad) but the A4 I had with the 2.8 V6 was rock solid from day one until I sold it at 158k miles. I've seen many turbos being replaced at the Audi shops around here at less than 100k miles for various reasons.
Midtowner
I recently owned a 2000 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport with a manual transmission (QTMS in Audi-speak) and can tell you that this engine is very good. Very good power, torque and mileage. However, dealers have seen the timing belts break as early as 45,000 miles despite the fact that the owners manual recommends timing belt changes at 90K. Replacement engines are about $6500. I was always concerned about the heat generated from the turbo accelerating wear on plastic electrical connectors and rubber hoses within the engine compartment too. That said, I recommend the V6.

Also, watch for front suspension problems. There was a recall up to the 1999.5 models but the 2000's had the same problems but not covered by the recall as is the case with mine.

Hope this helps. smile.gif
914werke
2.6 (?). The 2.8 is a workhorse if kind of a slug from a performance standpoint. Dead reliable. 1.8T I wouldnt think twice about as a commutier but if You were driving it biggrin.gif Im sure it'd seem a little soft unless on boost. The cure....Chip it. From there its a slippery slope. My I5 turbo in the S6 Avant is pushing 180K and still has the nuts to spank the unsuspecting poser. lol2.gif no reliability problems at all.
ejm
Are both engines the interference type,

Yes! pro's and con's are stated pretty well above...you'd want a 1.8 thats had on time oil changes with synthetic since day one to avoid the oil sludge problem and excessive turbo wear...the V6 belts failures are often preceded by water pump failure...bearing collapses and the belt tension goes bye-bye
jgiroux67
Get the 1.8t quattro. Theres not much of a difference in performance but you can tune the 1.8t easier and for more power. Also the main reason I think is gas mileage. My '98 2.8 6 averages less than 20 mpg where as the 1.8t 4's get close to and average of 30 mpg.
grantsfo
My 1.8t has over 45,000 miles with a chip. Puts out 246 ft/lbs of torque and makes 215 horsepower. Great motor in my opinion. That motor pulls our 3400 lb A4 Quattro like a bat out of hell - I have a hard time believing all that power is coming from a 1.8 liter 4 sometimes. Great flat torque curve too.
URY914
My buddy had a A-4. Nice car. He said the waiting room at the dealer had really nice chairs. It got to the point that my buddy and the service manager where exchanging Chistmas cards.

He now drives a Honda. Drives it everyday, everywhere.

P
SGB
My buddy's 1.8t Quattro is a blast to drive, but
on time oil changes with synthetic since day one to avoid the oil sludge problem

last week his oil pump failed on the interstate ON THE WAY TO THE 50K SERVICE
Dealer sez- "Audi has extended warrenty on 1.8t and you get a new motor!" 'Course he did do oil changes there, all service there, etc., but it has paid off this time! So check & see what the coverage really is on a used one. I wanna buy his, but now he won't sell it ( but his wifr does want a TT...).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.