Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2,0 starting problems.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lars OLesen
Hello you all

Thanks for a great and informative forum smile.gif

Sorry for my poor american, I´m danish.

I have a 74 2,0 which can not start. Prior to this it only startet on 2 cylinders and after a 5 min. warm up it ran on all 4 , but often with a lot of hick ups.
I pulled the distributor, cleaned the trigger points which look fine, fixed the ignition advancing which was stuck. cleaned everything and lubed the moving parts. I found out that one of the connections in the 3 legged connection for the trigger points was not pushed all the way in, hope this will cure the starting on 2 cyl. and hick up problem.

But now it will not start. I´ve checked everything multible times and found out it is lack of fuel to the injectors. Only the start up injector works.

Any ideas about what I fucked up?

Any help will be appreciated smile.gif

Regards Lars
emerygt350
Hello Lars and welcome to 914world!
It sounds like the trigger points if you have lost injectors after playing with them.

Are you intent on keeping it stock? The points are hard to come by and a 123ignition distributor is one of the best performance upgrades you can make. (And easiest).

My great grandfather was from danmark... Copenhagen is a wonderful city.
r_towle
An easy test is to pull all four injectors out of the head but keep them connected to the fuel lines.
Rest each injector into a glass jar.
Turn over the motor for maybe 30 seconds
Check to see that each injector is spraying fuel.
Compare how much fuel is in each jar.

Rich
r_towle
And,
New fuel lines, fuel filter, verify no leaks in the engine bay and underneath the tank. Replace all of them.
Lars OLesen
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 22 2023, 10:01 PM) *

And,
New fuel lines, fuel filter, verify no leaks in the engine bay and underneath the tank. Replace all of them.

Thanks for replying

I hope to find a set of trigger points to keep it original, but 123 ignition is def a possibility
I have fuel pressure, but no fuel out of the injectors.

930cabman
welcome.png I am more of a carb guy so I won't be of much help, but will assist with other concerns. Welcome aboard
emerygt350
Sounds like that maybe be it. Control of the injector banks is from the trigger points, of course, and duration is controlled by the ECU with input from the mps and cht. No chance you disconnected the mps? I doubt that would do it but you never know.

You sure the plug is back on the trigger points correctly?

Also make sure the distributor is fully seated.

I hate pulling the injectors but it is the quickest way to verify.

I mucked with my original distributor for a few months, got it working pretty good, pulled it, put it safely on a shelf and installed the 123. Well worth it and no more wear and tear on the original.
Lars OLesen
Thanks for all your input..

Problem solved for now, found an old distributor in a box in the back of the workshop with trigger points mounted. I put the old greasy trigger set in distributor, and the motor starts piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Now I can go hunting the 14-1500rpm idle and very rich idle,

Have a great sunday..
emerygt350
Check your mps to see if it holds vacuum.

1400 sounds like cold idle. If it is warm and you have 1400... Do you have a dual can setup on your dizzy? Do you have the retard hooked up correctly?

And of course,look for vacuum leaks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.