Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: drive shaft torx bolts - What size?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
David Mueller
I need to replace my transmission drive shaft oil seal and I have to remove the drive shaft (CV joint) bolts first. What size driver do I need for them. It looks like a TORX head bolt is it metric like a 8MM or what...I wanted to go my local tool store and buy the right driver but I didn't really want to buy a set of metric and SAE just to see if something would fit.

Can anyone help ?
Porsche Rescue
8mm, 12 point is what you want
David Mueller
Thanks ! On my way to find one right now.
ArtechnikA
just for anyone following this thread or who landed here by way of a search some day...

THEY ARE NOT TORX!!!

they're "triple square."
those happen to be 8mm. some 911's use 10mm triplesquare CV bolts. early 911's (i.e. 914.6 - for context...) use 12mm trible square flywheel bolts.
dmenche914
i believe the bolt head is the same as on the VW Rabbit, that might help you in the search as some parts stores these days are so dumbed down that they can't find a part or tool by discritpiton, they only can find it by giving a make and model of the car, go figure.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (dmenche914 @ Aug 13 2005, 10:09 AM)
i believe the bolt head is the same as on the VW Rabbit, that might help you in the search as some parts stores these days are so dumbed down that they can't find a part or tool by discritpiton, they only can find it by giving a make and model of the car, go figure.

The bolt itself is the same as a VW bus, bug, rabbit, golf, jetta, 924, audi 4000, and a few others. Early 911 is different. 8mm "triple square" wrench size/configuration. NOT TORX, as Rich said. The Cap'n
JFJ914
Lisle tools blister packs the triple square (XZN) bits. Set is available at most FLAPS.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.