Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone tried a Subaru CVT?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DahlbergDiver
This might be a kinda dumb question, but can a Subaru CVT work in a conversion? Not talking about fitment or mounting it or anything like that, but could it possibly work outside of the donor car? I would think that they're electronically controlled, but I can't find any info on this anywhere online. Apparently Im the only guy thay wants to switch from manual to auto.
I'm happy I switched to subaru in my 914 and I'm now swapping a Subaru into my sand rail. I really like the idea of having a cvt in it. Thought I'd ask this here since there's a lot of subaru guys on this forum. Surely someone besides me has considered this.
technicalninja
I'd take the entire engine/trans package with wiring harness and ecu to make that work.

I have yet to see a CVT that I would consider "robust" and advise my appliance car customers to AVOID them if at all possible.

Toyota was the last OEM to change to a CVT and the Toyota version has a normal auto trans first gear and then they switch to the CVT pack.

Juries still out on reliability but 1st gear is the hardest on the CVT pack and after watching others for 2 decades Toyota decided to make a hybrid auto/cvt where everyone else does not...

The very worst ones are all made by Jatco. Nissans and Dodges had them and they are complete trash.

I'm not familiar with the Subi version but I don't trust CVTs at all.

I'd take an old school auto over a CVT every time...
brant
I have seen so many CVT's with failure or problems
I just try to never go near one.
but getting harder to find any car these days without one.
brant
DahlbergDiver
I'm not concerned with reliability or longevity. I just wanna figure out if this is gonna work without it being a wiring nightmare. CVT's are very plentiful in the junkyards near me whereas manual transaxles are not. Also, a CVT is just plain nicer to drive off road. ((In my opinion))
flipb
My wife's DD was a Nissan with CVT for nearly ten years. We traded it in before any reliability problems arose.

Honestly, modern CVTs make for a great driving experience. We replaced it with a crossover with 8-spd auto and it definitely feels like a step backwards. Particularly when you want to accelerate... CVT smoothly got you into the power band, whereas the AT has delayed, jerky downshifts.

Unfortunately I've got no technical advice here but it's an interesting application. Assuming you aren't going to put a hundred thousand miles on the 914 (and it weighs far less than any modern Subaru), the light-duty application might be well suited.
VaccaRabite
With Subaru being AWD, I'd imagine you would need to modify the CVT. Also, IIRC, they are REALLY long. I'm guessing its more trouble then its worth. I know megesquirt makes a transmission controller as well, but you would probably want the wire harness and ECU from the donor car. I don't know if there is a piggyback ecu for the CVT, or if its all managed though the engine ECU.

I do know that almost all the performance guys that like Subaru dislike the CVT. Passionately.

Zach

76-914
If you're not stuck on CV and just want an automatic use the Subaru AT with the Subaru Gears modification. You could pair the AT & engine (if you wanted to) if you installed the OEM TCU. beerchug.gif
DahlbergDiver
Well I think it sounds like it's going to be more work than it's worth. Maybe it's possible, and I do think it would be nice, but I guess I am not gonna be the guy to pioneer it. I checked the Megasquirt forums to see if anyone has been programming the CVT with it since that's what I'm using in my build. Looks like it hasn't been attempted yet. For now I think I'm gonna get a Legacy 3.6 and see if it bolts up to my Forester 6MT. Can't find any Legacy manual transmissions anywhere close to me, just CVT.
Thank you guys for your replies. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.