Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New GARAGE II
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gatornapper
Having inadvertently and unexpectedly become a small collector/investor in old P-cars (the 928 purchase not planned), my wonderful 3-car attached garage/shop cannot hold and protect my old Porsches.

I don't have the funds to build a new garage on our 15 acres in the woods - BUT I do have the perfect solution.

If you live in the country and have a nice tractor, you keep it out of the weather before you do your cars. I've had a tractor for over 40 years. Before I restored old Porsches, I restored and flipped old tractors.

Over 20 years ago a good friend disassembled a nice 2-car Carport to put an addition on his house. I prevented him from taking same to the dump and erected a nice 20' x 24' covering 9' above the ground for my sweet JD 5045E. Unavoidably, it also became a place to store family "stuff" that needed to be out of the weather - and junk.

I put it on the most flat space not far from our house, and would you believe it is perfectly positioned to be converted to a small 2-car garage that you'd drive straight into from our driveway. All it needs is exterior siding, 2 garage doors, and gravel on floor (over plastic vapor barrier) and and entrance drive!

I have in storage in this shed most of the lumber needed for the exterior framing. My structural engineer son designed the framing to attach to the 6 existing 6x6 posts. Steel paneling for the exterior will cost about $1,200.00.

I had a neighbor excavating contractor come in and cut the path to the garage, so this is what it looks like now. Junk (some plywood, lumber, kids stuff) needs to be removed.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Yes, this is Project #52,231 that I have going on......at 78 yrs. old, more than enough to keep me busy. biggrin.gif

GN
jd74914
Nice tractor! drooley.gif

Looking forward to seeing the progress!
mlindner
GN, you have a lot of stuff going on. Best, Mark
Gatornapper
Mark -

You mean all 78 year old men aren't like this? biggrin.gif

Yeah, it's the way I'm wired. Nothing new. Keeps me going......

Oh - and 90% of what I have going is off-subject from this great forum......

GN

QUOTE(mlindner @ Apr 25 2023, 03:35 PM) *

r_towle
Take a look at using foam insulation panels with plastic/fiberglass on both sides (think bathroom wall panel)
I have seen them up to six inches thick.
You can screw those right in, lay trim over the joint…done
Use all plastic…zero maintenance.

Rich
Gatornapper
Rich -

No idea what you are referring to. Got a linky?

How much per sq.ft.?

Garage will not be heated and I'm now looking at about $1.80/sq.ft. for Galvalume steel panels - barn roofing.......

Thanks!

GN

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 25 2023, 07:11 PM) *

Take a look at using foam insulation panels with plastic/fiberglass on both sides (think bathroom wall panel)
I have seen them up to six inches thick.
You can screw those right in, lay trim over the joint…done
Use all plastic…zero maintenance.

Rich

Gatornapper
Mark -

While I do have a lot going on, the good thing - vastly different from my running a business days - is that I do everything at a very leisurely pace, when I want to work on things. No pressure, no time goals.

Case in point: Took me a month to do the tranny when it was a 1 or 2 day project if you stayed on it. Taking months to do top-end on my 2.0.

I'm also constantly repairing/rebuilding things that break in our home and a rental house.

Interspersed were a lot of great motorcycle rides with friends, days driving one of my Porsches with friends in theirs, or just piddling in my shop/garage or on our 15 acres. Or time with my large family of 8 grown kids, 5 grandkids, 2 foster grandkids, and more.

I consider myself the most fortunate and blessed man on the planet. My beautiful wonderful wife & I just celebrated our 50th and we love each other more than ever.

GN

QUOTE(mlindner @ Apr 25 2023, 03:35 PM) *

mlindner
Congrats GN, I'm right behind you at 75. Must be wired like you, working on cars, house construction and still working part-time at Kelly-Moss racing.
Superhawk996
Like Gator - new garage going up this year. Foundation started this week.

914 was put into storage when I made the move. It’s been a long winter not having a garage or a shop to work in. 914 can’t progress until the garage is up and I have my welder and machine tools back in operation.

Been doing routine maintenance on the daily drivers in the dirt.

Working in the dirt hasn’t gotten any more fun since I last did it in my 20s. Was a slow learner so I agreed to help a buddy crew on his race car on my early 30s. Again plenty of memories working in the dirt at Nelson Ledges (ugh!), Mid-Ohio, Grattan, Gingerman, etc. It’s been miserable working in the snow in my 50s!

Click to view attachment.
rhodyguy
I would put diagonal bracing connecting the posts and beams. Structural mech fasteners and Tico nails too. Overkill? Maybe. Sooner safe than sorry. Cheap insurance.
Gatornapper
Mark - you mean "playing" at Kelly-Moss racing.".........

biggrin.gif

QUOTE(mlindner @ Apr 26 2023, 04:47 AM) *

Congrats GN, I'm right behind you at 75. Must be wired like you, working on cars, house construction and still working part-time at Kelly-Moss racing.

Gatornapper
Covered! My PE Structural Engineer designed all the exterior lumber including cross bracing and more.

I could have done it myself as a "Class A" (unlimited) commercial General Contractor for 40 years, but as my son could do it for free, had him do it.

Thanks!

GN

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 26 2023, 09:07 AM) *

I would put diagonal bracing connecting the posts and beams. Structural mech fasteners and Tico nails too. Overkill? Maybe. Sooner safe than sorry. Cheap insurance.

Gatornapper
I remember those days 11 years ago when I did my 3-car garage with 2nd floor storage...and lift bay..... smile.gif

When it's done, and your settled in, you might think you've died and gone to heaven! Well, a bit of hyperbole......

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

GN

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 26 2023, 07:33 AM) *

Like Gator - new garage going up this year. Foundation started this week.

914 was put into storage when I made the move. It’s been a long winter not having a garage or a shop to work in. 914 can’t progress until the garage is up and I have my welder and machine tools back in operation.

Been doing routine maintenance on the daily drivers in the dirt.

Working in the dirt hasn’t gotten any more fun since I last did it in my 20s. Was a slow learner so I agreed to help a buddy crew on his race car on my early 30s. Again plenty of memories working in the dirt at Nelson Ledges (ugh!), Mid-Ohio, Grattan, Gingerman, etc. It’s been miserable working in the snow in my 50s!

r_towle
Sips covered in fiberglass
Waterproof
Used for coolers and moist areas

https://www.enercept.com/blog/using-frp-ski...els?hs_amp=true
Gatornapper
Used SIP's for years - never used fiberglass ones.

Thanks!

GN

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 27 2023, 04:38 PM) *

Sips covered in fiberglass
Waterproof
Used for coolers and moist areas

https://www.enercept.com/blog/using-frp-ski...els?hs_amp=true

bkrantz
But, no matter what, eventually not big enough. sad.gif
Gatornapper
BOY! Is that the TRUTH!!!

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Apr 27 2023, 07:31 PM) *

JmuRiz
Jealous of your attached tall 3-car. Part of my wife's carrot dangling to get me to move down to her parents farm. If/when that happens I'll ask who did your work as it'll be close enough (Appx area).
Jett
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Apr 27 2023, 06:31 PM) *

+1 we built a ~5K sqft garage last year and she is full. Lol it is full of 914’s:)
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Apr 28 2023, 08:36 AM) *

BOY! Is that the TRUTH!!!

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Apr 27 2023, 07:31 PM) *

Ain’t that the truth. My current build is 3 car, 2story, 38x28 and I’m already thinking about the pole barn that will be needed for the tractor, motorcycles, etc. happy11.gif
Gatornapper
Nathan -

I built both my log home and garage myself.....commercial general contractor for decades. Sons & friends helped.

Did use ICF's for walls in ground, highly recommend.

Love to have you visit any time.

Moving to farm all good - highly recommend - especially in today's world.

GN

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Apr 28 2023, 07:57 AM) *

Jealous of your attached tall 3-car. Part of my wife's carrot dangling to get me to move down to her parents farm. If/when that happens I'll ask who did your work as it'll be close enough (Appx area).

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.