Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More 6 conversion questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Markeydoo
OK I am confused huh.gif
What are people doing to the stock relay board to make it work with the 6 conversions. I have a 914-6 engine wire harness and a 75 relay board. Is ther any modifications that I need to do? if so what?? I have goten some feed back but I am still confused to what I need to do.
Thanks
Mark
Root_Werks
Mark, do a title only search for "Root" or even "Root Werks", look for a 6 conversion thread with a flared orange car. I remove the relay boards now a days, but kept the relay board on that car. I noted some terminal swaping for the charging ect. that need to be done.

You should keep and use your 914-4 engine harnes. wink.gif
Porsche Rescue
Mark, I think Dan is referrring to his conversion thread which is now in the "classic " threads section. Page 4 of the thread talks about wiring the regulator.

It is confusing to me Dan. I am finishing a conversion now and plan to use the board (unless you talk me out of it). Can you explain the "terminal reversal" on the regulator one more time please.
Al Meredith
Automobile Atlanta has a booklet that covers 4 to 6 conversion. Very inexpensive . I sure this issue is covered
goose2
Dan's the Man on six wiring as far as I'm concerned. My engine room is SOOO tidy. smilie_pokal.gif
Sparky
QUOTE (Al Meredith @ Aug 13 2005, 05:03 PM)
Automobile Atlanta has a booklet that covers 4 to 6 conversion. Very inexpensive . I sure this issue is covered

I, like so many other lemmings, bought the book. Though there are some helpful sections this is not covered well at all. Your best bet is to review the posts here and then ask lots and lots of questions.

Mike D.
Marv's3.6six
Mark, you can HAVE my relay board from my orig six if you want.
I will not be using it on my 3.2 to 3.6 upgrade.
JFJ914
QUOTE (Sparky @ Aug 14 2005, 11:40 AM)
QUOTE (Al Meredith @ Aug 13 2005, 05:03 PM)

I, like so many other lemmings, bought the book. Though there are some helpful sections this is not covered well at all. Your best bet is to review the posts here and then ask lots and lots of questions.

Mike D.

I am not a "lemming" but bought the booklet well before this forum exsisted. IIRC it had the pinout conversion neatly detailed in two CLEAR diagrams. Does everything mentioned about AA have to start a flame war? Grow up!
IronHillRestorations
Alot of the decision making has to do with the engine you are going to install. A carb'd engine is much easier, especially if you've got a internally regulated alternator, although you can delete the relay board if you have a externally regulated alternator and mount the regulator elsewhere.

Another issue to consider is the fuel pump relay. If you've moved the fuel pump and aren't using the original fuel pump circuit, then you don't have to deal with this.

There is a factory connector that will plug right into the existing harness, but the connector and pins alone costs $45!

I do custom harnesses for six conversions, and sell DIY kits. I use wiring with color coding the same or as close as possible to factory. I also use black PVC jacketing and heat shrink for a real OEM appearance (I HATE black electrical tape wiring harnesses icon8.gif ). PM me if you want more info on what I have to offer.
J P Stein
QUOTE (9146986 @ Aug 14 2005, 08:32 AM)
Alot of the decision making has to do with the engine you are going to install. A carb'd engine is much easier, especially if you've got a internally regulated alternator, although you can delete the relay board if you have a externally regulated alternator and mount the regulator elsewhere.

Another issue to consider is the fuel pump relay. If you've moved the fuel pump and aren't using the original fuel pump circuit, then you don't have to deal with this.

There is a factory connector that will plug right into the existing harness, but the connector and pins alone costs $45!

I do custom harnesses for six conversions, and sell DIY kits. I use wiring with color coding the same or as close as possible to factory. I also use black PVC jacketing and heat shrink for a real OEM appearance (I HATE black electrical tape wiring harnesses icon8.gif ). PM me if you want more info on what I have to offer.

This is about as close as you can get to someone drawing
out a custom wiring diagram for you.....jump on it.

I went thru the conversion in my pre-internet days.
The electrical part was my biggest challenge....I still have the AA booklet somewhere biggrin.gif
Markeydoo
Thanks All
The engine, alt, and enging wire harness are all out of a 914-6. The body wire harness are original 914-4 75'
This should be fun!!!
Marv I'll take you up on your offer Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.