Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ok boys a tough one
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Are the OEM mahle cylinders marked in any way?

I took them off long ago and want to put them back on where they were...anyway to tell....

I am attmepting to put it back together for a super cheap upgrade.

Rich
Cap'n Krusty
Nope. Ya mark 'em when you remove 'em. Always been that way. The Cap'n
type47
do you mean which cylinder is I - II-III-IV as in firing order? if so, like the Cap'n said. but there are marks on the top of the pistons to indicate which side of the piston faces the flywheel. that's important, i think, for something related to piston slap. requesting explanation why that is important from

DAVE DARLING or JaKE RABY or (insert knowledgable teener here)
r_towle
Pistons are marked, I was thinking of rehoning the cylinders and getting new rings....would that solve this issue???

And, what is the risk of putting the wrong cylinder on the wrong piston...original rings...provided they gap correctly?

Would I kill the rings in the first few minutes, or would they never really seat correctly???

Just need to understand the risk before I make this cheap ass decision...

Basically I have no money, but I have all the parts to put one 2.0 liter together and in my car...

Rich
ChrisFoley
Hone the cylinders, use new rings, and put em wherever you want to.
type47
are you going to hone the cylinders yourself or have a machine shop hone them? if you have a shop do it, they could also mic them for tolerance then mix and match p's & c's.
Twystd1
What type47 said...

Thats what i would do....

Twystd1
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (type47 @ Aug 13 2005, 02:41 PM)
requesting explanation why that is important from

DAVE DARLING or JaKE RABY or (insert knowledgable teener here)

You rang?

The wrist-pin holes are offset in the stock pistons. Without the offset, the side force placed on the piston by the rotation of the crank would cause more piston slap. From what I have read, some slap isn't really that bad, it's just noise. If it gets bad, then it can beat up some of the parts--but I imagine it has to get very bad for that to be much of a factor!

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.