Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Trunk Lid Shocks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThinAir
When I purchased my teener, it came with the Camp914 shock kit installed for the rear trunk lid. They worked fine, but I didn't like the cut in the trunk wall so when the car was restored a couple of years ago I had it repaired. Now I'd like to either reinstall that kit in a way that doesn't require cutting that panel, or I'd like to find another shock kit. I tried compressing my shocks and they won't move so I'm not sure that re-use is an option anyway. Searches have so far not turned up anything. Can anyone provide some help with this?
r_towle
What I did was (each side) is use a 3 inch piece of 1.25x1.25 angle aluminum.
I bolted a piece through the flange for the gasket, pan head screws, caulked etc, all flush so the rubber covers it.
I bolted the other piece to the trunk.
Each piece has one of these (pick a size)
https://www.amazon.com/Pack-13mm-Ball-Studs...62042&psc=1

Then I opened it up, measured, went to parts store and bought a few pistons…found ones that fit.

ThinAir
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 27 2023, 07:44 PM) *

What I did was (each side) is use a 3 inch piece of 1.25x1.25 angle aluminum.
I bolted a piece through the flange for the gasket, pan head screws, caulked etc, all flush so the rubber covers it.
I bolted the other piece to the trunk.
Each piece has one of these (pick a size)
https://www.amazon.com/Pack-13mm-Ball-Studs...62042&psc=1

Then I opened it up, measured, went to parts store and bought a few pistons…found ones that fit.

How do you determine what fits? Do you measure them extended, contracted?
r_towle
Lol, yes

Honestly I guessed
Bought a few sizes and decided where to mount things once I had all things in hand.
I returned the ones I did not use.

Going back to stock (if you have restored the body) might be easier??

Rich
r_towle
I will go take you some pics
East coaster
What cut in the trunk wall? I just installed a set and no cutting was required.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
reinstall the torsion bars and the trunk rollers and remove the trunk shocks, strains the rear lid and makes it very hard to swing the top into the trunk

QUOTE(ThinAir @ Apr 27 2023, 07:02 PM) *

When I purchased my teener, it came with the Camp914 shock kit installed for the rear trunk lid. They worked fine, but I didn't like the cut in the trunk wall so when the car was restored a couple of years ago I had it repaired. Now I'd like to either reinstall that kit in a way that doesn't require cutting that panel, or I'd like to find another shock kit. I tried compressing my shocks and they won't move so I'm not sure that re-use is an option anyway. Searches have so far not turned up anything. Can anyone provide some help with this?

Chris914n6
The CAMP914 struts are way stiff. Stiff enough to hold up a lid with a rear spoiler. I got like 20 years out of mine before they quit.

Anyways its a generic size with a dozen pressure options. I have a chart somewhere I found when mine failed but didn't get as far as sourcing new mounts & stuff to move them back past the trunk seal.
ThinAir
I stumble upon this video from Hans Jan Evertse that gives a pretty good view of where to mount the struts. The question is how to size them. Do you look for a strut that matches the length between the mount points or one that is slightly compressed so that there is still pressure when the lid is raised (as opposed to being at full travel at that point).?

Click to view attachment
r_towle
You may have phrased that incorrectly.
There is nothing to stop the lid, so size them so the piston has enough room totally open.

Then,,,, where you mount them must allow it to be closed.

I recall I bought a few, open one up, keep the other one closed.
Then you can adjust where to mount it open or closed.

Rich
ThinAir
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 2 2023, 09:18 PM) *

You may have phrased that incorrectly.
There is nothing to stop the lid, so size them so the piston has enough room totally open.

Then,,,, where you mount them must allow it to be closed.

I recall I bought a few, open one up, keep the other one closed.
Then you can adjust where to mount it open or closed.

Rich

Well, Rich I didn't phrase it incorrectly, but I DID forget that there is nothing to stop the lid! Thanks for that! Love this community!
930cabman
I am considering ditching the torsion bars and getting a stick

did I mention being a CSOB?
NARP74
QUOTE(930cabman @ May 3 2023, 09:37 AM) *

I am considering ditching the torsion bars and getting a stick

did I mention being a CSOB?

You are adding lightness. That is frequently not cheap!
VegasRacer
I am using 944 hood shocks. crest.gif #1293BN
Click to view attachment
930cabman
3/4" wood (maple) dowel x 41". Round one end to fit into the latch and put a flat on the other end.
r_towle
QUOTE(930cabman @ May 3 2023, 01:52 PM) *

3/4" wood (maple) dowel x 41". Round one end to fit into the latch and put a flat on the other end.

If you have to buy the stick, I vote no.
Go out in the woods, find one and carve to fit your needs.
True CSOB.

r_towle
Better late than never

r_towle
You can go google these numbers

930cabman
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 3 2023, 01:21 PM) *

True CSOB.

Owning a full blown carpenter shop, I found something laying around and it works perfect - 0 - cost
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(930cabman @ May 3 2023, 02:55 PM) *

True CSOB.

Owning a full blown carpenter shop, I found something laying around and it works perfect - 0 - cost

I have this:

IPB Image

Left over from my time fixing cars. It paid for itself years ago, and now it just holds up the rear trunk lid for me.

r_towle
QUOTE(930cabman @ May 3 2023, 03:55 PM) *

True CSOB.

I’m loving that I’m not alone.
I stole a hand carved stick one of my kids used for hiking and no longer use.
Because I have delayed replacing the front hood struts on the 911 and it fits perfectly….looks very funky, and yes…..it was free.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.