Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How reliable are old coils?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jamie
I am trying to keep my 73 1.7L as stock as possible yet very reliable for extended travel. Recently had professional first engine removal to address several minor oil leaks and other concerns, to prepare for a 5 day tour event in June. The original coil is still in place and seems to be working fine, what is the usual life expectancy for a 50 yr. old coil? confused24.gif
Superhawk996
Plenty of functional OEM coils (buzz box or trembler) on Model T’s. So let’s call it 100 years or so. biggrin.gif

A coil is simply a transformer wound with copper wire. The main thing to fail would be the breakdown of insulation on the wire over time due to heat. Overall, coils are highly reliable. They are easily bench checked by measuring the resistance of the primary and secondary coil windings.

You’re probably going to get all sorts of anecdotal stories about random coil failures. I’m not denying they happen, but they are anomalies for the population of coils as a whole.

Don’t believe me? Ask yourself when the last time the local power company came by and changed the electric transformer up on your neighbourhood power pole - as a matter of “maintenance”. Sure those randomly blow too. When they do, the power company replaces them. But they don’t replace them every 50 years, just because.

There are literally hundreds of components in your engine that “could” fail. What fun could we expect to have if we were constantly fretting about what could fail. We would never leave the house. Why dwell (pun laugh.gif ) on the coil?

Go have fun - enjoy the drive. driving.gif
BillJ
Dwell. Funny.

If you are really worried pick up a spare and store in the frunk. But probably fine.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(BillJ @ Apr 28 2023, 09:03 AM) *

Dwell. Funny.

If you are really worried pick up a spare and store in the frunk. But probably fine.

People seem to like this idea but where would you stop?

Trip list
Spare coil
Spare points
Spare wires
Spare plugs
Spare condenser
Probably should have a spare distributor
Don’t forget about the voltage regulator those things go bad randomly!
A week ago our Belgian friend had a fuel pump relay fail - bring a handful of those.
Some swear that you should have a spare relay board - just in case.
Going to need a spare alternator - just in case. When a diode or the brushes fail you’re screwed.
Bring a small generator warning light bulb. If that burns out and goes open, the alternator can’t start the field winding and you’ll be SOL!
Those 3 port fuel pumps were a recent topic of conversation - random leaks and all. Bring a spare!

I’m just getting warmed up on what “could” fail. av-943.gif

Don’t forget all the tools you’ll need to fix all the things that could fail.

I trust you see where I’m going with this - in good humour. How did we survive in a pre cell phone - pre credit card era. Some would tell you it can’t be done. aktion035.gif
BillJ
Lol. Totally right.

There was a thread here for a guy going cross country. Pretty sure his load of spares and tools weighed 500 lbs easy.

So with road cars my spares included:

Frunk:
The spare
Fan belt
The tool roll
Small ratchet and socket set
Anti fog
Windex
Paper towels

Door pocket:
Fuses
Bulbs for taillights
Pen
Condom for all the girls fawning over the 914 (very old)
Voltage regulator

Thats it really aside from the dangerous jack in the trunk.
Jamie
QUOTE(BillJ @ Apr 28 2023, 06:21 AM) *

Lol. Totally right.

There was a thread here for a guy going cross country. Pretty sure his load of spares and tools weighed 500 lbs easy.

Frunk:
The spare
Fan belt
The tool roll
Anti fog
Windex
Paper towels

Door pocket:
Fuses
Bulbs for taillights
Pen
Voltage regulator

My old teener girl has 58K on the odometer, and the only spare part I carry is the alternator belt, because Dad left one in the frunk when I bought her from him in 2002. I have replaced it with a new and more limber belt, but never leave home without my AAA and Visa cards! piratenanner.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(BillJ @ Apr 28 2023, 09:21 AM) *

Lol. Totally right.

Frunk:
The spare
Fan belt
The tool roll
Anti fog
Windex
Paper towels

Door pocket:
Fuses
Bulbs for taillights
Pen
Voltage regulator

laugh.gif I love your list

I just happened to still have the old rubbermaid tool box I used to carry my tools in sitting close by. Over 100k miles traveled on my 1st teener, only carried what would fit in this box.

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
very very reliable as long as they are not leaking, we have hundreds of good original bosch ones Used on the shelf

QUOTE(Jamie @ Apr 28 2023, 06:36 AM) *

I am trying to keep my 73 1.7L as stock as possible yet very reliable for extended travel. Recently had professional first engine removal to address several minor oil leaks and other concerns, to prepare for a 5 day tour event in June. The original coil is still in place and seems to be working fine, what is the usual life expectancy for a 50 yr. old coil? confused24.gif

BillJ
Yes!!! AAA and money. All set
Superhawk996
QUOTE(BillJ @ Apr 28 2023, 09:52 AM) *

I had neither back in the original teener era. Barely had gas money! Still survived and had a ton of fun happy11.gif

If you have those two things it’s almost too easy!
rjames
I pack a spare clutch, accelerator cable and a couple of box wrenches, but other than my AAA card, that's about it. smile.gif

BillJ
Cables are a good low weight add
Superhawk996
QUOTE(BillJ @ Apr 28 2023, 10:34 AM) *

Cables are a good low weight add

Slippery slope. Credit card is pretty light laugh.gif
rjames
Bring a friend so you have someone to get out and push.
BillJ
Always be uphill.
StarBear
Yep; still got my original coil, though pack a new blue coil in my in car parts box.
Like the idea of that plastic Porsche tool box. Better than my shoe box. Father’s Day??? shades.gif
GregAmy
QUOTE(BillJ @ Apr 28 2023, 09:52 AM) *

agree.gif

That'll get you to a safe place. Then Internet access to this board, so you can post here and we can rescue you. - GA
VaccaRabite
If you can drive your car 25 miles and trust it, you can drive it 1000 and trust it.
If your coil is fine now, then it’s fine.

I bring a small box of tools, and the only parts I bring are spare throttle and clutch cables. Aside from that, AAA card and be there.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.