Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scratching my Head(s)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Robarabian
I am in need of sending out the 2.2 Six Cylinder heads for refurbishment on a motor I am working on.

In the back of Panorama, I see Ollies in Arizona.

Anyone have a shop they trust in CA (LA Area) to do machine shop work on Porsche 6 heads?

I called all the people I knew in my younger days, but none of them work on Porsche, it is al LS motors...

I'd drive as far as the OC or even San Diego.

For those interested, I need the seats checked; valves checked; probably guides and at least 2-3 exhaust studs re-worked.

Thanks.
r_towle
You might want to check out the pelican parts 911 engine rebuilding forum.

Rich
rudedude
Plenty of good machine shops that will do Porsche heads in your area. Question is how much you want to spend and how long is the wait for good work. I send my Porsche work to competitioneng.com in lake Isabella. Walt has always done nice work if you are not in a hurry
Robarabian
QUOTE(rudedude @ Apr 30 2023, 07:56 AM) *

Plenty of good machine shops that will do Porsche heads in your area. Question is how much you want to spend and how long is the wait for good work. I send my Porsche work to competitioneng.com in lake Isabella. Walt has always done nice work if you are not in a hurry

Thank you both for the answers.
RFoulds
OMAG in Palm Springs also. very experienced in Porsche machine work
Cairo94507
I second the referral to Walt Watson at Competition Engineering in Lake Isabella, CA. Been to his shop a couple of times and Walt knows his stuff and has Porsche DNA in his blood. 760.379.3879; 2841 Fulop Street, Lake Isabella, CA. 93240.

Like most machine shops doing the work we want, it takes about 3-4 months for turn-a-round on typical engine rebuild work. beerchug.gif
BillJ
Extreme Heads in Florida has done work for me. Communicative and the normal wait. not what you asked for but they are state of the art.
DennisV
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Apr 29 2023, 03:33 PM) *

I am in need of sending out the 2.2 Six Cylinder heads for refurbishment on a motor I am working on.

In the back of Panorama, I see Ollies in Arizona.

Sending them to Ollies seems like a fine plan. They seem to have a good reputation and know how to ship stuff. Be aware that they have several months of backlog for engines, but perhaps could do only the heads quicker?

We got a tour when we dropped off our 914-6 engine. Impressive shop. Seem like good folks.

I have only read good things about Competition Engineering as well. Either Wayne Dempsey or Bruce Anderson mentions them in their 911 engine rebuild books.
r_towle
Exotech up in the northeast is the goto head guy.
He also does complete engines.
mepstein
QUOTE(BillJ @ May 1 2023, 10:38 AM) *

Extreme Heads in Florida has done work for me. Communicative and the normal wait. not what you asked for but they are state of the art.

I just sent him a set of GT3R heads for him to work his magic.

Robarabian
Thanks everyone. I left messages for everyone. As was stated, they all called back and are nice people. The backlog ranged from 10 days to 4 months. I picked one and sent them off.
BillJ
Well which one!!!???? Lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.