Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB stock coil retaining bracket (PART FOUND)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
L-Jet914
I am looking for the stock coil retaining strap for a 74 1.8L. Part number 021 905 119. I have no idea what I've done with mine. It's somewhere so safe, I can't remember where I put it haha. The aftermarket coil retaining strap that came with the Bosch Blue Coil I installed a while back isn't cutting it haha. Thank you in advance.
bdstone914
QUOTE(L-Jet914 @ Apr 29 2023, 07:39 PM) *

I am looking for the stock coil retaining strap for a 74 1.8L. Part number 021 905 119. I have no idea what I've done with mine. It's somewhere so safe, I can't remember where I put it haha. The aftermarket coil retaining strap that came with the Bosch Blue Coil I installed a while back isn't cutting it haha. Thank you in advance.

I may have one. There are two diameter coils. What diameter is your coil?
L-Jet914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Apr 30 2023, 07:09 AM) *

QUOTE(L-Jet914 @ Apr 29 2023, 07:39 PM) *

I may have one. There are two diameter coils. What diameter is your coil?

Side note: @wonkipop @StarBear for some originality and history minutia parts, the original coil that I removed (albeit still operational) to install a Bosch Blue Coil with its aftermarket coil strap (hence misplaced the oem coil strap). I knew it was a Bosch unit, then I checked the bottom just now and saw the VW number. I was very happy to say the least that it's an original part biggrin.gif
914Sixer
here you go NOS and in CA
bdstone914
@914Sixer

Arent those fuel pump brackets? I thought the coul bracket was about an inch wide with a 90 degree bend.
914Sixer
Not seeing fuel pump notch on these, assuming they are coil brackets.
TheCabinetmaker
Those are brackets for the coil mount to the engine tin. The other style mounts the coil on the front of the fan shroud.
StarBear
Want me to cross check the part # on my original coil (still in use)?
914werke
smile.gif

HERE
L-Jet914
QUOTE(914werke @ May 1 2023, 11:37 AM) *

I'm searching for the ignition coil bracket unfortunately.
L-Jet914
QUOTE(StarBear @ May 1 2023, 10:27 AM) *

Want me to cross check the part # on my original coil (still in use)?

Just wanted to show the original ignition coil with part number for reference what our 1.8Ls came with aside from needing to purchased the retaining strap smile.gif BDStone was asking for coil diameter so I posted the part number off of my original coil.
L-Jet914
I believe this is what my original coil bracket looked like as it attached to the fan shroud.
StarBear
QUOTE(L-Jet914 @ May 1 2023, 11:53 PM) *

I believe this is what my original coil bracket looked like as it attached to the fan shroud.

Yep; that’s what mine looks like. Pics in a few.
StarBear
Here are pics of the bracket and the bottom of the coil, with both Bosch and VW part #s.
The bracket has one end that slips into a slot at the top; the bottom is bolted.
biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
NARP74
Those are fiddly to install with the engine in the bay. It is hard to compress the clamp and get the threads to engage on the bolt with very little room to work any tools. Easy if the engine is out of course. I found one at a VW engine shop a while ago. Samba has them once in a while if shipping is not an issue.
914werke
QUOTE(L-Jet914 @ May 1 2023, 08:50 PM) *
I'm searching for the ignition coil bracket unfortunately.

Whoops!
johnhora
Here's the coil bracket that mounts on the engine cooling tin by 3/4 cyl.
It is similar looking to the fuel pump bracket but no notch for the wiring connector and it has a little smaller diameter than the fuel bracket
Available if needed

Click to view attachment
914werke
My .02 ...I dont like those nor their placement.
I much prefer the "bus" type that the OP is seeking.
It has a couple of advantages.
1. Its off of the tin, which gets HOT & is subjected to enough shaking that the weight of the coil DOES tear the M6 mounts out of the thin sheet metal eventually. &..
2. The Impeller housing location is in the path of air being sucked past it by the fan keeping it cooler.
L-Jet914
QUOTE(johnhora @ May 5 2023, 04:10 PM) *

Here's the coil bracket that mounts on the engine cooling tin by 3/4 cyl.
It is similar looking to the fuel pump bracket but no notch for the wiring connector and it has a little smaller diameter than the fuel bracket
Available if needed

Click to view attachment

Unfortunately my coil doesn't mount to the tin like other models. Mine mounts to the right side of the fan shroud.
DC_neun_vierzehn
I have a box of spare parts that I acquired a while ago ... not sure what year 914 or motor the parts are for ... but this looks like what you could be looking for.

Could use a good wire brushing, prime, and coat of paint.

If this is what you're looking for you - you can have it for basically the cost of shipping. Let's say $10 shipped?

Click to view attachment

Dominic
David,
I found some of these brackets as well not sure if you can make them fit? Feel free to stop by if you want one.
Dominic

L-Jet914
QUOTE(StarBear @ May 2 2023, 07:01 AM) *

Here are pics of the bracket and the bottom of the coil, with both Bosch and VW part #s.
The bracket has one end that slips into a slot at the top; the bottom is bolted.
biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Yup that is the bracket design I am looking for haha. Why do our 1.8's have to be different haha.
@bdstone914 see photos on first page for coil diameter.
L-Jet914
I was browsing Facebook last night and saw a new post on the Porsche 914 Parts for Sale page. Thank you @GaroldShaffer .
StarBear
Yay! Another happy ending! piratenanner.gif
PS: Didn’t know there was a FB page for these. Thanks!
L-Jet914
QUOTE(StarBear @ May 17 2023, 01:14 PM) *

Yay! Another happy ending! piratenanner.gif
PS: Didn’t know there was a FB page for these. Thanks!

There is the Porsche 914 Parts for sale page, and the 914World page on Facebook.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.