Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting a painted bumper back to its original chrome?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Good morning and happy weekend everyone.

The red ex-turbo car has a very nice set of front and rear bumpers that look to be in good condition except that they’ve been sprayed guards red.

I’d like to get these back to the original chrome but I’m wondering if there’s any tips or lessons learned on how to do that without trashing the underlying finish?

Chemical stripper comes to mind, but I’m not sure what that would do to the chrome, probably nothing good.

Any coaching to offer?

Thanks!
mepstein
I would talk to your chrome shop. They might tell you what to do or to do nothing. Might as well ask.
brant
Most likely the chrome underneath has been scuffed to create paint adhesion

jim_hoyland
And, that paint might be hiding holes filled with bindo. Went through this myself….
bdstone914
I would start with a heat gun to remove as much paint as possible. If they were painted the chrome was probably not good and will need to be stropped anyway if you rechrome.
Do you have a shop that will chrome them?

@tdskip
Chris H.
Try a little acetone (nail polish remover) in a small spot and see what happens. It should not hurt the chrome underneath.
Tdskip
Good morning and thanks for all the responses and ideas.

I did try acetone, which did absolutely nothing, so the good news is if someone wants red bumpers, this is really high-quality paint, the bad news is that I don’t want red bumpers. Ha!
bkrantz
Can you see any dents or other problems on the inside of the bumpers? If so, likely yo will find filler under the paint.

Chrome shops can replate the shiny stuff, and can do metal repair before plating if necessary. Figure at least $1000 for the pair.
jim_hoyland
Have you considered having the bumpers wrapped ? The process is pretty slick and can duplicate the chrome look. I sam a pair wrapped Gold; looked like metal, even up close.

See: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=chrome...D&FORM=VIRE
gereed75
Seems like wrapping is the way to go. Finding a good chrome shop that can do it right is a PITA and expensive and time consuming.

Had a set chromed in ValcoOscars last group buy. Really nice but time and shipping and cost are all getting up there. Gotta be able to beat all of those factors with a wrap

CoronaMike
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 1 2023, 05:25 AM) *

Have you considered having the bumpers wrapped ? The process is pretty slick and can duplicate the chrome look. I sam a pair wrapped Gold; looked like metal, even up close.

See: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=chrome...D&FORM=VIRE

I wrapped mine - it turned out way better than I expected.

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
If you wrap bumpers, assume you can do repairs to smooth out the surface.

That is impressive! Looks good.
CoronaMike
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ May 1 2023, 09:16 AM) *

Yeah - it will stick to bondo. I had a little dent in my back bumper that I honestly never noticed when it was black. But, of course it shows up now. In fact - the chrome wrap will show EVERYTING under it. So, if your bumper is painted or powder coated and has the slightest texture you'll have 'orange-peel chrome'. I had to wet-sand both bumpers.

But - for $20 on amazon..... c'mon. smile.gif

Click to view attachment
brant
QUOTE(CoronaMike @ May 1 2023, 10:21 AM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ May 1 2023, 09:16 AM) *

Yeah - it will stick to bondo. I had a little dent in my back bumper that I honestly never noticed when it was black. But, of course it shows up now. In fact - the chrome wrap will show EVERYTING under it. So, if your bumper is painted or powder coated and has the slightest texture you'll have 'orange-peel chrome'. I had to wet-sand both bumpers.

But - for $20 on amazon..... c'mon. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

sounds like you did it yourself...
wow.. nice work.
mmichalik
There's a really good, and cost effective chrome shop in Rialto called MJB Plating. (cost effective for chrome plating that is) https://www.mjb-chrome.com/
The guy there, Billy Felts, really knows his stuff. We redid all the chrome on the sprint car with him and it turned out perfect.
I can send you his phone number if you're interested.
CoronaMike

Yeah - thanks. For the cost, is was worth it to give it a try. There was a little trial and error, (and my wife helped with a second set of hands). It helps to use a hairdryer too to soften it up around the corners.
ndfrigi
wow! that wrapped looks like a real chrome. Probably if you want just to try chromed bumper for the body color you have, this is a good test how it will look.
r_towle
Chromed 75/76......hmmmm

Rich
Dave_Darling
Chrome bumpers were part of the "Appearance Group" and were optional for most 914s. So not all 914s had chrome bumpers to begin with.

The cars without the option in the 70-73 model years had body-color painted bumpers.

In 74, the non-optioned cars had semigloss black bumpers.

In 75 and 76, of course, the bumpers were rubber covered.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.