Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 27.3 MPG, is that right, that can't be right....right?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Root_Werks
Saturday was the first time in over a year our six left the island and almost two years since it drove off island under it's own power. Needless to say, it was nice to cruise on the freeway @70-75MPH for a change.

Only off island for the day, dropped off heads to get flycut (Bug), took the long way back North.

Stopped off to fill the tank, 10.4 gallons of E-Free ($5.69 a gallon), reset the tripometer at 284 miles. Well dang, that's 27MPG! Nicely done little CIS 2.7 engine!

Drove normally, only digging into the throttle a couple of times. Some sitting in stop/go traffic, some freeway stretches, very mixed.

driving.gif
r_towle
seems right/low for a 2200lb car.

It is always great to get out and do the errands (especially car errands) in a classic!

Rich
JmuRiz
Nice work, you might have found the sweet spot of rpm/speed.
Looks like your tires are about the correct size, so I'd say leave it along, you have a winner.

I remember getting 30mpg driving from Atl to DC when picking up my carb'd 2.0 (with carb cam), had it at 65-70 to make it happy in the idlejet to main jet changeover.
SirAndy
I get ~24mpg with the 3.6L cruising on the freeway.

Of course, the moment i put my foot in it, that number goes down considerably.
driving.gif
76-914
It's difficult to get an idea of gas milage with one "fill up" as that varies from pump to pump with the auto cutoff features on gas pumps. Best to average over a long road trip for a realistic evaluation. Nice looking set of wheels there. Are you on the Orca Islands? beerchug.gif
eric9144
I was going to say, but SirAndy beat me to it, believe it or not my big 6 gets into the mid 20's if I'm driving it non-aggressively--want to say last freeway trip it was around 26 mpg confused24.gif
Chris914n6
24/29 on my FI 3.0 so not bad for a carb...
r_towle
Meanwhile, a Cayenne turbo gets a steady 15 mpg no matter what you throw at it, including towing.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 1 2023, 01:50 PM) *

Meanwhile, a Cayenne turbo gets a steady 15 mpg no matter what you throw at it, including towing.

Our 1994 Jeep is the same, doesn't matter how you drive it, 15mpg. That straight six is a thirsty boy.

Tires are stock size 205/55/16's, speedo is surprisingly accurate. We have three speeds on the island (San Juan), 25, 35 and 45mph. Many times there's one of those radar thingies showing your speed. I'm always spot on, or so close on the needle it looks spot on.

We did 980+ miles over 2 days when we bought this six 3 years ago. I kept track of mpg in the low 30's, but thought the speedo must have been off or similar. Turns out with pretty much 95% freeway driving the entire 980 miles, low 30's was probably correct.

Just kinda cool to think if you can drive it normally, actually gets pretty dam decent mileage.

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.