But a beautifull six! I like the color! wub.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (slivel @ Aug 13 2005, 04:17 PM)
John's beautiful 916

nice car! smilie_pokal.gif

but why call it a 916?
confused24.gif Andy
Jeroen
looks like a nice clean build and an excellent color!
ArtechnikA
"John" who ?
Maltese Falcon
Steve--is John's GT color Anthracite ? It's a tight car rolleyes.gif
marty
slivel
To clarify, John Straubs car is not a factory built 916 but somewhat similar to Bob Gagnon's home built 916 (no longer his but sold in about 1992). John's car has many acquired authentic parts including a 916 gearbox.
ArtechnikA
would you happen to know the VIN ?
SirAndy
QUOTE (slivel @ Aug 14 2005, 09:05 AM)
To clarify, John Straubs car is not a factory built 916 but somewhat similar to Bob Gagnon's home built 916 (no longer his but sold in about 1992). John's car has many acquired authentic parts including a 916 gearbox.

i would be interested in a list of authentic 916 parts on that car ...

idea.gif Andy
slivel
No, sorry I don't have the VIN. But next time I see John I ask him for more detail on the car. John is a long time member - over 30 years, I believe, (and past president) of Porsche Club of America, San diego Region. I've known him for the 16 years that I have been a member - he's a great Porcshe enthusiast and has some beautiful vintage Porsches. He has shown his cars in many of the Porsche Parades Concours events over the years. Yesterday he said that he is going to get back into driving events and I suggested that I enjoy running with Historic Sports Car - West and that he might too, so maybe his car will be out more often if the future.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (slivel @ Aug 14 2005, 02:01 PM)
No, sorry I don't have the VIN. But next time I see John I ask him for more detail on the car. John is a long time member ...

i've known John since 1975...
davep
Definitely not a 916, since it has a targa top.
Very nice 914/6 GT though.
Either 9140430749 or 9140431445
carreraguy
Wow! Nice car. I didn't know he was in to 914s. FYI - John is also the PCA coordinator for Special Interest Groups; his contact info will be in the back of any issue of the PCA mag. His email is: vintgracer@aol.com
neo914-6
QUOTE (Maltese Falcon @ Aug 13 2005, 04:57 PM)
Steve--is John's GT color  Anthracite ? It's a tight car rolleyes.gif
marty

agree.gif and what color is that? It may be what I'm going to use...
redshift
Please don't paint your car a mid-80s MB color.

Please paint your car anything but met. dark grey.

(as long as it's silver, or maybe a VW color)

M
John
authentic parts including a 916 gearbox.

How would you know? Is that what they told you?

916 gearboxes were (I believe) used with 906 and other mid engined race cars. These were modified 915 gearboxes and were not (to my knowledge) specific to the 11 or so prototype 916's.

It is a good looking (freshly painted) 914-6 track car. It's probably lighter than our track car.
Maltese Falcon
Felix, anthracite= 1979 911/930 color, I can get the paint code # off my car if you need. The MBZ anthracite had a touch more gold in it / the Porsche= more black.

John, AFAIK, there were more 916 transaxles to go around than the actual 916 cars. AJR in San Diego had the transaxles listed for sale in '78-'79. I bought & resold several, and kept one for my six. Although the AJR units still needed some internal work, and a shift rod fabbed- everything was there including the specific rear housing that had the mount ears for the 914 ! These were all magnesium, but I run an aluminum case on the street.
Marty
sixnotfour
John Straub , Mike Hagen, Jon Lowe have been known for years , for trying assemble 914-6 GT's from way back, factory parts . The Complete Kits were not easily obtainable, and alot of money for the time , Vasek Polack had most parts , but just wouldnt sell em to you , They have always been hard to obtain . Back in the late 80's a GT tank100liter listed for under 500.00 try and find one , even then.
I bought 2 sets of Gt door panels pull straps,and rear bumper and deck lid ,2-10k tachs ,Hood Pins. from Vasek's Karl Thompson, He told me to come back another day he didnt feel like digging through the stuff, he had been Ill.
They had NO front hoods or bumpers and valances, rockers left. Karl said they got used up in racing. this was late 80's, I was on vacation , If I lived there I would have been there everyday to get parts..The Web has made it way easier to research such things.

Straub's car may not be factory built at least I know it is built around factory Kit parts 914-6 GT. Hard to duplicate today. There are no more spares. only repo's

I have a factory GT rally muffler do I use it or sell it, cant run it it wont be new anymore??
SirAndy
QUOTE (sixnotfour @ Aug 15 2005, 12:04 AM)
Straub's car may not be factory built at least I know it is built around  factory Kit parts 914-6 GT. Hard to duplicate today.

yes, but i'm still not clear on how this makes the car a 916 replica ...

916s and 914-6 GTs are two completely unrelated animals ...
cool.gif Andy
ChrisReale
Andy, it doesn't. It aint a replica of a 916
SirAndy
QUOTE (ChrisReale @ Aug 15 2005, 01:15 AM)
Andy, it doesn't. It aint a replica of a 916

that was my point ...

cool.gif Andy
Mueller
are those just the standard 15x7 cookie cutters??

that is one sweet looking car and the tire/rim combo looks perfect...too bad you cannot get a street tire just like those slicks..........
SirAndy
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 15 2005, 12:53 PM)
are those just the standard 15x7 cookie cutters??

yupp, 7" x 15 cookies with 9" good year racing schlicks.
same combo i run on my car.
perfect fit for the GT flares all around ...

driving.gif Andy
JmuRiz
I'm guessing he meant to say 914/6 GT replica
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.