Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Difference Between the L&R Seats
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
What makes one seat different from the other? Are the bases/seats different from one another? Or is it the back rests or headrests that differ from L to R? To put it another way; which pieces would be interchangeable? TIA, Kent beerchug.gif
eric9144
Think the rails (at least on the seat side) are same, just swap left and right.
The seats differ on the back of the head rests---the top of the head rest has an indent where it meets the firewall pad and they're angled (look at both from the back and you'll see it.)
The other difference is that the drivers seat bolster on the 'outside' is thinner where the handbrake is so you can actually get to it beerchug.gif
Chris914n6
I thought the drivers seat was clearanced for the parking brake handle or maybe the foam was just different?

The headrest foam is contoured to the rear window curve.
SirAndy
If you look at the headrests from behind the car through the back window, you can clearly see how they differ.
bye1.gif
Lockwodo
QUOTE(eric9144 @ May 2 2023, 01:35 PM) *

The seats differ on the back of the head rests---the top of the head rest has an indent where it meets the firewall pad and they're angled (look at both from the back and you'll see it.)
The other difference is that the drivers seat bolster on the 'outside' is thinner where the handbrake is so you can actually get to it beerchug.gif

On my '74, the rails bolted to the seats are different, the pull handles for the seat adjusters should be on the inside of the seats next to the tunnel. Also, if the seats have been swapped on the rails bolted to the floor, then the driver's seat will not adjust as far forward and the release catch for sliding the seat forward off the rails will not engage.
76-914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 2 2023, 02:06 PM) *

If you look at the headrests from behind the car through the back window, you can clearly see how they differ.
bye1.gif

Well you see Andy, that's my problem. I bought another seat years ago because it was ripped. IIRC, it was the right seat. When viewed from behind it looks catty wampus. This is why I'm trying to figure out if I need to get another headrest, backrest, cushion or what. I'll post a pic shortly. beerchug.gif
76-914
I dunno now. Maybe it was me being cockeyed. The covering was coming loose and I think that created an optical illusion. After I taped it in place it looks OK. What'da you think? It never had a problem lining up with the back pad and both seats are square and level. Maybe I'm chasing my own tail but I did't want to put new upholstery on only to find out I'd stepped in big pile of stromberg.gif .

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mepstein
They look reversed to me. Usually the ebrake cutout (slighter on later years) is the giveaway.

I drove my car for years with reversed seats. Not really a big deal unless it bothers you.
Cairo94507
I believe it is the upholstery that makes them different. I would be a bit surprised (but not really) if Porsche made a left and right seat shell for a lowly 914. beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
The level shows about 1/4” out over 4’? MEH…Don’t sweat the minor stuff. Leave it for the next owner to sort out. The bubble is still pretty much between the vial lines.
76-914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 3 2023, 07:00 AM) *

The level shows about 1/4” out over 4’? MEH…Don’t sweat the minor stuff. Leave it for the next owner to sort out. The bubble is still pretty much between the vial lines.

It's on the lift so it should be somewhat level. I'm going to throw the back pad in and if there isn't a noticeable fit problem I'm going to call it good Kev. beerchug.gif
bdstone914

It's on the lift so it should be somewhat level. I'm going to throw the back pad in and if there isn't a noticeable fit problem I'm going to call it good Kev. beerchug.gif
[/quote]

Even if they are the wrong seats they will fit he back pad.
It is just the angle of the top of the headrest that slopes toward the outside of the car. And the recess for the hand brake.
sb914
Regardless your still cockeyed . beer.gif poke.gif
ndfrigi
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 2 2023, 04:54 PM) *

I dunno now. Maybe it was me being cockeyed. The covering was coming loose and I think that created an optical illusion. After I taped it in place it looks OK. What'da you think? It never had a problem lining up with the back pad and both seats are square and level. Maybe I'm chasing my own tail but I did't want to put new upholstery on only to find out I'd stepped in big pile of stromberg.gif .

Maybe just swap the rails?
eric9144
QUOTE(Lockwodo @ May 2 2023, 01:29 PM) *

QUOTE(eric9144 @ May 2 2023, 01:35 PM) *

On my '74, the rails bolted to the seats are different, the pull handles for the seat adjusters should be on the inside of the seats next to the tunnel. Also, if the seats have been swapped on the rails bolted to the floor, then the driver's seat will not adjust as far forward and the release catch for sliding the seat forward off the rails will not engage.

Yeah I was referring to the seat side of the hardware not the floor mount parts

@76-914 from the pics it looks like you have them flip flopped right now--passenger on drivers side
eric9144
The head rest slant is pretty noticable on the one, not so much on the other but if you look you can see it--I'd bet the one currently on the passenger side has the E-Brake 'thin out' on the lower part of the seat bolster.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
agree.gif i think they are swapped, the outer back side of the headrest is wider than the inner, and the left side bolster indent for the hand break , yiu won’t have that on either side for a true passenger side seat , but, they will work and it doesn’t really matter other than looks and balance. - and hand clearance for hand break, as others have said it will fit into the back rest fine either way.

i’ll take a picture tonight of mine if it helps,
76-914
Thx Eric & Phil. The hand brake clears the seat but evidently it will clear with either seat. I honestly don't remember which seat was torn but logically it would have been the drivers side. I probably switched it with the passenger side and later replaced the torn seat when I found a replacement seat as the replacement seat is on the psg side. I'll look for that pic later tonight. Thx again.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the upholstered headrest foam (one slants one way the other the other way) and the left outer foam that is cut out to clear the handbrake. The fiberglass shells are the same

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 2 2023, 01:12 PM) *

What makes one seat different from the other? Are the bases/seats different from one another? Or is it the back rests or headrests that differ from L to R? To put it another way; which pieces would be interchangeable? TIA, Kent beerchug.gif

76-914
QUOTE(sb914 @ May 3 2023, 08:54 AM) *

lol-2.gif Every time I use or hear that phrase I think of Richard Pryor's skit about the foreman's son Cockeyed Junior. av-943.gif
76-914
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 3 2023, 03:29 PM) *

QUOTE(sb914 @ May 3 2023, 08:54 AM) *

lol-2.gif Every time I use or hear that phrase I think of Richard Pryor's skit about the foreman's son Cockeyed Junior. av-943.gif

Well everyone of you said the same thing and it appears that ya'll are all correct. The handbrake is very close to the seat but unimpeded so I ruled that out. I put the calipers to the left side of each seat. The psg seat is the first pic. I moved over to the drivers seat and you can see from the pics the caliper sitting quite proudly upon the top of the side cushion. headbang.gif Where is my Forest Gump sign?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.