Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My car left me stranded temporarily
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MoveQik
So I was out running the car pretty hard today and decided that it was time to stop in for a Starbuck's. Went back out to the car to leave but my car had other ideas. Evidently it wanted to rest for a bit longer. I am guessing the heat got to the starter. I let it sit for about 45 minutes and it fired back up.

After searching the board here it looks like a hi-torque starter is the solution. Would you guys agree? If so, any thoughts on brand and the best place to get one? This is the first time it has done this. I have ran it harder and longer in the past with no trouble. Perhaps this is the beginning of the end for my starter? confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Aug 13 2005, 05:06 PM)
After searching the board here it looks like a hi-torque starter is the solution. Would you guys agree?

best investement i ever made. well, maybe not *the* best, but ... smile.gif

yes, your starter is on it's way out the door. there are several bandaid fixes that will empty your wallet and buy you some time (if you're lucky) but the best way to deal with this is a new or rebuilt starter ...

i don't remeber who i bought my hi-torque starter from, but it has worked perfectly for the last 2 years ...
smash.gif Andy
jasons
I would try adding a starter relay first, if you don't have one yet. If you don't have one, its a long run in a skinny old oxidized wire to the starter solenoid. When things get heat soaked, the resistance increases and the current to the starter goes down. The relay shortens the path from the battery to the starter. Its a cheap solution. All you need is an automotive relay and socket and some wire. Readily available. In fact, I have some brand new relays and sockets I would set you up with one if you want to try it. Or you can go to Karls or BAP and buy the kit. If you still have the problem, then think about the starter.

MoveQik
QUOTE (jasons @ Aug 13 2005, 05:08 PM)
I would try adding a starter relay first, if you don't have one yet. If you don't have one, its a long run in a skinny old oxidized wire to the starter solenoid. When things get heat soaked, the resistance increases and the current to the starter goes down. The relay shortens the path from the battery to the starter. Its a cheap solution. All you need is an automotive relay and socket and some wire. Readily available. In fact, I have some brand new relays and sockets I would set you up with one if you want to try it. Or you can go to Karls or BAP and buy the kit. If you still have the problem, then think about the starter.

If my starter is on it's way out, I would rather just replace it and be done. I'm not a big fan of being stranded somewhere for an hour until things cool off. Is the relay set up just a temporary fix or will it permanently solve the problem?
914helo
KEP is nearby me so I know they sell one. It's a little pricey at $175 but it should do the job. Someone else might know of a cheaper source.
jasons
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Aug 13 2005, 05:29 PM)
QUOTE (jasons @ Aug 13 2005, 05:08 PM)
I would try adding a starter relay first, if you don't have one yet.  If you don't have one, its a long run in a skinny old oxidized wire to the starter solenoid.  When things get heat soaked, the resistance increases and the current to the starter goes down.  The relay shortens the path from the battery to the starter.  Its a cheap solution.  All you need is an automotive relay and socket and some wire.  Readily available.  In fact, I have some brand new relays and sockets I would set you up with one if you want to try it.  Or you can go to Karls or BAP and buy the kit.  If you still have the problem, then think about the starter.

If my starter is on it's way out, I would rather just replace it and be done. I'm not a big fan of being stranded somewhere for an hour until things cool off. Is the relay set up just a temporary fix or will it permanently solve the problem?

The relay doesn't "band-aid" a failing starter. It corrects a problem that occurs with aging wiring harnesses and an older starter. Over time resistance between strands of your wiring builds up because the individual copper strands oxidize. This generates resistance. When you couple this with the fact that your starter source wire runs from your battery to your key switch and all the way back to your starter, you just increase that resistance. The longer the wire, the more the resistance. Then you don't get the current to engage the starter solenoid.

Do you have old cables between your battery and starter? Is your ground strap good? Is your grounding point clean? How old is your battery? Alot of things can contribute to this problem and a bunch of little problems add up and you can still have problems. Yeah being stranded sucks, spending 3bills and still being stranded sucks more.

So, to answer your question if it permanenty fixes the problem.... It fixes A problem all old VW's and 914's and even chevys have. I don't know if your starter is bad.

By all means, if you want the comfort of knowing your starter is good, replace it. But you should still go through the stuff that feeds it.

Call Karls Custom or whoever you trust on monday and see what they recommend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.