Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oval fuel line grommet - front of tunnel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mgarrison
Is there a source from the large, oval grommet for the fuel lines at the front of the tunnel where the lines protrude into the area under the fuel tank? So far I have been unable to find a vendor that sells them.

I swiped this diagram from 914Rubber - the piece I'm referring to I've circled in red...
Click to view attachment
r_towle
Ask Chris Foley at tangerine racing how to deal with that grommet.
914werke
There are 2. Early & late. I have them, HERE

bye1.gif
mgarrison
QUOTE(914werke @ May 4 2023, 09:11 PM) *

bye1.gif

Thank you Sir! pray.gif

The early/late is so dang applicable; my 914 is a 1974, assembled 11/73 and it turns out the tank and vapor system are the early version (got the wrong fuel tank despite having to confirm the year) wacko.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(mgarrison @ May 5 2023, 07:29 AM) *

bye1.gif

Thank you Sir! pray.gif

The early/late is so dang applicable; my 914 is a 1974, assembled 11/73 and it turns out the tank and vapor system are the early version (got the wrong fuel tank despite having to confirm the year) wacko.gif

the changeover to the engine bay charcoal canister as far as we ascertained from L jet research a year or so back is around either side of the weekend 17/18 Nov 1973.

be good to add your vin build date to the data we have to see how it checks with that.
mgarrison
QUOTE(wonkipop @ May 5 2023, 07:05 AM) *

bye1.gif

Thank you Sir! pray.gif

the changeover to the engine bay charcoal canister as far as we ascertained from L jet research a year or so back is around either side of the weekend 17/18 Nov 1973.

be good to add your vin build date to the data we have to see how it checks with that.

Here's what info I have on my car:
VIN: 4742908715
Chassis Number: 4649581
Build Date: 11/73
I am unsure if my 914 was a 1.7 or 2.0 - I haven't found any emblem, documentation, etc. that would indicate.

It had the steel expansion tank on top of the fuel tank. No charcoal canister that I've seen in the parts that came with the car - many of the parts were removed by a previous owner for a planned electric conversion.
914werke
QUOTE(mgarrison @ May 5 2023, 09:12 AM) *
I am unsure if my 914 was a 1.7 or 2.0 - I haven't found any emblem, documentation, etc. that would indicate.

It had the steel expansion tank on top of the fuel tank. No charcoal canister that I've seen in the parts that came with the car - many of the parts were removed by a previous owner for a planned electric conversion.

So a late 73 build date.
Two things to help determine the OE fitment:
The tank: Would either have or not have the additional boss to fasten the strap to secure a charcoal can & ..
The Engine bay: rear trunk wall nearest the R. side/top will have a pressing & stud unique to the 74MY also for the charcoal can mounting.

Why this is pertinent to this discussion & part is if the car is early it used 2 different sized fuel lines matched by the grommet & a pair of PVC lines that run down the Drivers long for connection to the charcoal evap system.
74/75 is *about* the changeover year where these later cars used the same size lines + a small vacuum line (reflected in that late grommet) that all ran down the tunnel to a eng. bay mounted charcoal can mounted on the back wall (eliminating the lines down the long).

None of which you probably care about if you are converting the car. biggrin.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(mgarrison @ May 5 2023, 10:12 AM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ May 5 2023, 07:05 AM) *

bye1.gif

Thank you Sir! pray.gif

thanks for the info.

what i can tell you is its very likely that it is a 74MY 1.8 L-jetronic and a very early one.

we ended up with reasonably extensive data, not enough to pin down precise dates for progressive changes of the 74MY cars but close enough to pinpoint the week changes happened or in some cases within 3 days of changes.

for 74 MY it would appear that 2.0 L cars were produced exclusively from August until very late Oct 1973.

then 1.8L production commenced from later Oct/early Nov 1973 until sometime late Jan/part way into Feb 1974 exclusively.

after late Jan/early Feb 1974 the production of both 2.0L and 1.8 L cars is more varied and mixed.

as far as we can determine the 74 MY was unusual in that respect.
the reason very likely was a delay in entering production of the L jetronic injection system for the 1.8 cars.

the first batch of 2.0L cars in the first 3 months of production and the first 3 weeks of production of the 1.8s all have the earlier fuel tank with the charcoal canister mounted in the front trunk.

after that all the 1.8 and 2.0 74 cars have the canister in the engine bay and they run a small diameter fume (vapor) line through the central tunnel to the can along with the fuel lines.

the steel expansion tank did not change at the same time as the charcoal canister mount and location. the expansion tank is changed to a plastic part and the design is revised much later in may 1974 and is on the last 2-3 months of production. the plastic tank is part of the redesign to get the fuel cap restricter on for unleaded fuel only in prep for the exhaust cat on 75 (california to start with) models on.

folks talk of a just a late and early tank. but in fact there is a variant in between and its on the 74 cars from late nov 73 to may 74. its a tank without the slot and bracket for a clip for the charcoal can but it also has a metal expansion tank. this variant wasn't really noted down until more recently when we did the L jet research.

yours is pretty clear cut, i would expect it to be 99% the early fuel tank on all cars pre 74MY.

@914werke makes an interesting point about fuel line sizes.
might have to look into that further. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
another rabbit hole.
i noticed the fuel pump that i took off mine and i think (99%) it was original was a 009 with three equal ports. however there was a difference in the plastic lines running through the central tunnel. the feed line was still slightly bigger.
anyway, nothing to do with early fuel tanks. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
914werke
QUOTE(wonkipop @ May 5 2023, 02:41 PM) *

another rabbit hole.
i noticed the fuel pump that i took off mine and i think (99%) it was original was a 009 with three equal ports. however there was a difference in the plastic lines running through the central tunnel. the feed line was still slightly bigger.
anyway, nothing to do with early fuel tanks. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Oh but it does, the tanks have coresponding fitting/nipples to match the OE low & high pressure nylon material & sizes (& grommets smile.gif).
I dont really see the point in maintaining the two differing sizes If you are buying new SS lines confused24.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(914werke @ May 5 2023, 04:13 PM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ May 5 2023, 02:41 PM) *

another rabbit hole.

Oh but it does, the tanks have coresponding fitting/nipples to match the OE low & high pressure nylon material & sizes (& grommets smile.gif).
I dont really see the point in maintaining the two differing sizes If you are buying new SS lines confused24.gif

i'll dig my plastic original lines out. i kept the ends with the stainless sections that go through the grommet. they were original to the metal tank but rear cannister version.
i have the fuel pump down at the workshop. the ports all look the same externally but my memory is the internal bore was slightly larger (pretty subtle) on the feed port.
its a 009 pump and i am fairly certain original. 3 port in original location under engine.
i know they are still different sizes (feed and return) because i hand made my steel lines and they had to be two different diams to match original. and its got the vapor line hole in the grommet as well. this is for a "late" 74 (jan build) as distinct from a 75.

don't know much about the SS line kits. are you saying they are same diameter lines with the SS replacement lines? all i know is i reproduced my original ones and def smaller return.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.