Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 73 Windshield Wipers Park CRAZY
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gnomefabtech
I finally got to the electrical portion of my 1973 project and there was some rodent damage that I'm tracking down. As I get things to come to life there have been some pleasant surprises (the headlight motors come to life with little issue) and some strange ones like the wipers running ok but they park in the middle of their stroke. I can't just re-orient the arms because they would run over the cowl. Basically the "park" spot in halfway up the glass!

I would love to have them park over on the right side if that is possible but I don't know how that's done. Is the position sensor of the wiper adjustable?

Thanks for the help. I'll share some build pics soon. It's a pretty interesting car.
fixer34
QUOTE(gnomefabtech @ May 6 2023, 07:50 PM) *

I finally got to the electrical portion of my 1973 project and there was some rodent damage that I'm tracking down. As I get things to come to life there have been some pleasant surprises (the headlight motors come to life with little issue) and some strange ones like the wipers running ok but they park in the middle of their stroke. I can't just re-orient the arms because they would run over the cowl. Basically the "park" spot in halfway up the glass!

I would love to have them park over on the right side if that is possible but I don't know how that's done. Is the position sensor of the wiper adjustable?

Thanks for the help. I'll share some build pics soon. It's a pretty interesting car.

I'm guessing someone had the wiper motor out and didn't position the arm on it correctly when reassembling. However, that is also the key to getting the arms to park on the right side.
Either way, you probably need to pull the wiper assembly out and bench align it, then figure out if you want left or right park. It's really as simple as moving the arm 180 degrees.
gnomefabtech
Thanks for the reply. It's more difficult than that because what I have now is a situation where the wipers park in the middle of their stroke. If they move 180deg they are parking at 90deg. This means the only safe place to set the blades is vertical on the window. Otherwise the wipers go past the window and crash into the cowl.

I'm not sure how the position is determined in the wiper mechanism but that seems to be wrong. Now's the time to fix it because I have the tank out and can get in there.

Any advice would be helpful though. Thanks!!
gnomefabtech
Fixed! It was the arm mounted on the motor shaft wrong. Funny thing is if it's mounted halfway through the stroke they will park in the middle of the window lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.