Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1971 Steering wheel options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chupee
Looking for options to change a stock 71 steering wheel to an Alcantra style wheel momo or otherwise. What will for and work needed to do this.

thx
vintagethunder
When I was looking last year I found the MOMO adapter for the early 914s (#8000?) seemed to be the only solution but it was out of production, rare, and expensive when they come up for sale.

But I did find a solution. I have not installed it yet, and that was a Luisi steering wheel adapter available at:

https://classicgarage.com/lustwh.html

It was a bit confusing but they said I needed the "American" version which I assume it the one with the A after the number on the website. I bought a used MOMO wheel and also a J West eccentric adapter, for some added leg room and better view of the gauges. I sure hope it all works!
Cairo94507
That linked steering wheel hub looks a lot like the hub I sourced for my car to install my 370mm Prototipo. I sent the wheel to Dallas Customs to have it re-wrapped in their high-quality black leather and stitched in black. I really like the finished product. Total cost of the wheel recovering was about $475 including shipping. (PS- the angle I shot the picture makes the rim look really fat, it is just under 4" - which is the average size of sport steering wheels today. It feels good in my hands and is comfortable to drive with.)
914sgofast2
On my 1970 model 914-4 I am using the Luigi adapter with a Momo wheel. The problem with the Luigi adapter is that the hole for the horn push mechanism is drilled in the wrong location and doesn’t line up with the brass connector plate on the column. I use a horn push button on the dash.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ May 7 2023, 07:45 PM) *

On my 1970 model 914-4 I am using the Luigi adapter with a Momo wheel. The problem with the Luigi adapter is that the hole for the horn push mechanism is drilled in the wrong location and doesn’t line up with the brass connector plate on the column. I use a horn push button on the dash.

They Now list 2 versions , of exactly what your talking about..
steuspeed

All you need is a momo hub and any momo steering wheel. LTB autosports carries the full line. ebay is another great place to find a vintage wheel. I have hub 8002 on my cars. Looks like maybe the 71 is a 0230 hub?

https://ltbautosports.com/momo/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.