Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My car yeeted the wipers!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
Its been raining here in the mid-Atlantic. Like for 2 weeks.
So as the rain was pushing out on Thursday, I took my car out for a shakedown run up and down 83 between York and Harrisburg. I wanted to see how the new engine dealt with some of those long fast hills.

I hit a rain squall. Turned on the wipers and the pass side wiper blade when flying off the car! So now its pouring, I'm in traffic, I have 1 wiper (thankfully the driver side) and the pass side arm is scraping across the glass.

Anyway, drive to the FLAPS and get a new set of wipers. The last set was on for 13 years, so I for sure got my moneys worth. But none of the clips that came with the wipers would lock into my wiper arms.

For the drivers side I was able to retain the clip off the old wiper, so that one is locked in. Pass side that not possible though, since that wiper yeeted itself to the moon.

How are folks getting wipers to lock in if they no longer supply the right sized clips?

Thanks!
Zach
Steve
This has been an issue for quite a while. Do a search. There was some vendors left selling over priced clips. I also need to look and order some more if they are still available.
bdstone914
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ May 8 2023, 05:01 AM) *

Its been raining here in the mid-Atlantic. Like for 2 weeks.
So as the rain was pushing out on Thursday, I took my car out for a shakedown run up and down 83 between York and Harrisburg. I wanted to see how the new engine dealt with some of those long fast hills.

I hit a rain squall. Turned on the wipers and the pass side wiper blade when flying off the car! So now its pouring, I'm in traffic, I have 1 wiper (thankfully the driver side) and the pass side arm is scraping across the glass.

Anyway, drive to the FLAPS and get a new set of wipers. The last set was on for 13 years, so I for sure got my moneys worth. But none of the clips that came with the wipers would lock into my wiper arms.

For the drivers side I was able to retain the clip off the old wiper, so that one is locked in. Pass side that not possible though, since that wiper yeeted itself to the moon.

How are folks getting wipers to lock in if they no longer supply the right sized clips?

Thanks!
Zach

The original wiper arms are wider that the replacement arms. Most FLAP wiper blades are thr narrower type. Not sure if that is the problem.
infraredcalvin
I know this doesn’t help with your missing blade, but last time I did mine i ended swapping out the rubber part only from the new blade to the old…
914Sixer
914 arms are 7mm, replacement clips are 9mm. 2mm difference, so there is wiggle. Need to make sure replacement clips are correct. Not sure if you can see them but there is 4 blocks at the corners of clip and two in middle to center on 7mm arm. Click to open pictures and see them better.
NARP74
Some online stores sell the smaller ones, but they are getting pricey now.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Steve @ May 8 2023, 05:24 AM) *

This has been an issue for quite a while. Do a search. There was some vendors left selling over priced clips. I also need to look and order some more if they are still available.

agree.gif

There are a couple of threads on which clips to buy. I recall ordering something like 8 or 10 clips = $$, but should never have to buy them again.
Steve
$13.95 a piece now... HWY Robbery
https://www.bugcity.com/shop/shop.lasso?cid...amp;sort=item_d
VaccaRabite
This seems like the perfect thing someone needs to model up and start 3d Printing.

I have to imagine someone already is or there MUST be a better source for these clips then bug city for $14 EACH.

Zach
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Steve @ May 8 2023, 07:45 AM) *

Yup, that's were I got mine from. It was about a year ago, they were a little less. Wanna say around $8 each, something like that.
VaccaRabite
@Mikey914 this is something we need.

Zach
Mikey914
Yes we could make these, my problem is tooling cost. We spend $2500 on tooling, make 1000 at .39 each, we have to sell 300 to break even.

It may be possible to manufacture a reasonable alternative. We could print these for $5-6 a pop, but the design work is a little more than I can get into right now.

Mark
r_towle
Sadly you lost one.
I think I had to re-use the old ones last time I did wipers.
If they are out there in VW land I might suggest you stock up.

Rich
East coaster
Anyone fitup different wiper arms from something else? I’m really wanting to find some more modern arms that will fit the 914 spline. I may just have to make some adapters.
r_towle
I remember driving home in an 84 911 in a heavy rainstorm.
Made me realize that VW-Porsche considered wipers as an after thought.

If you do come up with a better solution , please share.
JamesM
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ May 8 2023, 08:06 AM) *

This seems like the perfect thing someone needs to model up and start 3d Printing.

I have to imagine someone already is or there MUST be a better source for these clips then bug city for $14 EACH.

Zach

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Finding more and more uses for my 3d printer lately. now i just need to get handy with modeling software.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.