Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ups and downs today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MattR
I need a nickname that involves "fucking oil leak".

So yesterday I start in on my oil leak for round 35. I pull out the galley plug i drilled and tapped because I see some oil over there. I put a slight coat of RTV on the threads hoping maybe I fuched that up. The battery is out of juice, so I crank the engine over and VOILA, no engine leak!!! Its late so I get to bed ready to assemble the whole thing again.

I wake up this morning, charge up the battery, throw in some gas, and start up the car to make sure I'm leak free. DRIP DRIP DRIP... fuck.

I pull the cooler again and take a look at my seals. The new seals I got to replace my other new seals dont seem to fit quite right, so I replace my new new seals with my old new seals (both with 0 miles on them). I clean off all the permatex around the area and install it fairly dry. I crank it again and no leaks! I hook up the coil wire to start and run it for 10 seconds and it leaks... dry.gif

My last option: smear a little RTV around the oil cooler seals. This is a "last resort" thing. I really didnt want to do it, but if my seal wasnt seating properly on the cooler side, I could at least know if this stopped the leak. Once again, no luck.

So its got to be a cracked block, right?

In any case the engine is coming out tonight/tomorrow and Im going to take it on a mecca to get it leak free. The journey starts in orange county with some local gurus down there, and if that doesnt work I drive it to San Diego to a shop I know down there thats pro (*shameless plug* ACME Hot Rods).

I'll stop by AAron's house to pick up the anal lube for the reaming I'll take from the hot rod shop happy11.gif(actually it shouldnt be too bad, and making fun of AAron is in poor taste because he's tried to help me so much, but he doesnt mind).
Joe Bob
Yur a better man than I....I had a leak on a 912 motor that I had in Frank....it leaked under the oil cooler....basically a Type I, VW/356 POS motor.....thing drove me fucking bananas....pulled the shroud and carbs off of that son of bitch seven or eight times....

Sold the motor to some 356 guy and went to a T-4, blew the trans from too many beers and burnouts then went to a six....six.....six....six.....fuck oil coolers on four bangers....

YES...I told the buyer about the leak....
MattR
Hey mikey, Ive got an offer for you.

I have a BRAND NEW 2056 with about 15 minutes on the break in I'll trade you for one of your sixes. It has a minor oil leak, but I bet you could figure it out. lol2.gif

JB 914
i'm gonna have a low mileage V-8 available soon biggrin.gif once i put my 327 together.
redshift
QUOTE (SEEMORE BUTZ @ Aug 13 2005, 11:13 PM)
blew the trans from too many beers and burnouts then went to a six....six.....six....six.....fuck oil coolers on four bangers....

biggrin.gif

I really must start drinking again.

M
Aaron Cox
rolleyes.gif dry.gif sad.gif idea.gif headbang.gif idea.gif headbang.gif blink.gif cool.gif
redshift
laugh.gif

Harpo?

M
JoeSharp
I'd really like to see whats up wit dat...
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Twystd1
Hey Matt,
Am back from Mexico...

Let's put that bitch on a table stand with a tranny and bench start it without the shroud....
Since your pulling it out anyway.

We will have a better chance of finding out EXACTLY whasss up...!!!!

Plus if the block IS cracked. I have a bro with a TIG aroung the corner. And he is very good.

I'm guessing we can do it at a friends of ours house......

We need to get Scott out of his head anyway......

I'm down.......... Whadya say????

Clayton
redshift
WB Clayton!

Thanks for helping my buddy Matt out, he is stressed to the poppin' point.

M
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Twystd1 @ Aug 14 2005, 03:04 PM)
Hey Matt,
Am back from Mexico...

Let's put that bitch on a table stand with a tranny and bench start it without the shroud....
Since your pulling it out anyway.

We will have a better chance of finding out EXACTLY whasss up...!!!!

Plus if the block IS cracked. I have a bro with a TIG aroung the corner. And he is very good.

I'm guessing we can do it at a friends of ours house......

We need to get Scott out of his head anyway......

I'm down.......... Whadya say????

Clayton

matt - pull the motor and we have tons of trans cases at joes..... (for the starter)

Clayton - welcome back amigo -
I have a tig question for your friend...

lemme know if you dudes are gonna do this today.....i can help
Twystd1
Aaron,
Just left a message on Matts phone. Hell I have nothing better to do today anyway.

Aaron, What ya need welded? I will make the phone calls if needed..

In fact i am on my way to Roberts shop to weld a little of my own stuff in a bit.

Call me... ya gotstda number...!!!!!!!

Clayton
MattR
I spoke with clayton on the phone today, and I think we've found a solution. The motor is comin out on thursday. If you're around the pasadena area thursday, I could certainly use a hand.

Thanks guys!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.