Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restoring six engine shroud
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixaddict
Is there anything that can be done (short of painting) to enhance appearance of black fiberglass shroud.
Thanks
BillJ
The original fiberglass was done via colored gelcoat so yes generally painting is the only easily achieved treatment. Many here have tackled cracking and gouges using normal.fiberglass repair techniques followed by paint. I suppose you could try things like back to black or aerospace 505 but those are generally for rubber and vinyl. Wouldnt want to use it really on your shroud.

Others may have better suggestions. Show us what you are dealing with?
BillJ
Just did a little search. Looks like a number of products to restore boat hulls and such are out there. Maybe try one of those products? Looks like a combo.of a polish with machine buffers then waxing?
sixaddict
Did not attach any pics as it would be hard to see what are minor imperfections….and just generally “old” look.
Trying to bring it up to level equivalent to restored carbs etc of rebuilt /restored engine.
Boat stuff not a bad approach.
Thanks
r_towle
boat stuff....there is some cool chemicals out there.

mb911
I did mine but wet sanding with 600 grit then a semi gloss clear. Turned out amazing Click to view attachment
r_towle
If you ever have seen someone take an old neglected boat and do a simple wet sand, cut and buff….that it what you need.
Also, don’t be afraid of deep sanding and rattle can paint.
Modern rattle can paint from an auto body paint store is really quite good.

Don’t cheap out on the single can of paint you may need.
mb911
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 10 2023, 06:39 AM) *

If you ever have seen someone take an old neglected boat and do a simple wet sand, cut and buff….that it what you need.

I would highly recommend against actual color from rattle can. That is why I buffed and then rattle can clear only. Color rattle can will scratch from assembling and look like crap quickly. Here is the wet sand and buff imagesClick to view attachment
mlindner
The early shroud I purchased for my 2.2 S had lots of problems. Buying a little fiber glass kit to fix cracked areas worked good. But what did the best for all the broken out bolt holes is epoxy glued in washers. Then I did pour gel-coat over sanded shroud and final paint. Best, MarkClick to view attachment
brant
Try a product called
Meguires ultimate compound

It’s done wonders on everything I’ve used it on
porschetub
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 11 2023, 03:39 AM) *

Once the gelcoat has pretty much gone on these there is no going back,there was a reply on here relevent to this mentioning that the guy used gelcoat from a boatbuilder and brushed it on to a nice self leveling finish that can be sanded and polished.
Reason for sand and polish it has a high styrene wax content so after it is cured it will have a cloudy finish.
Secret be told it is a gloss resin with a heap of colour pigment in it as surfboard guys have been using for many decades.
Mine was done 5yrs ago with a spray can and still good ,cheers.

sixaddict
Some good ideas… Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.