Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Head light switch work /removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
emerygt350
Just looked through old posts on this but didn't see many hints on best ways of getting at the switch. My dimmer died (didn't really dim before but now it won't even turn on, thinking I will just jumper it to full on).

What's the best way of doing this/getting at the switch? Through the tach? Pulling the knee pad?

Any hints on removal of the switch if that is necessary?
StarBear
I think with mine (74) the knob pulls off or unscrews then a small pronged wrench unscrews the bezel underneath. If no wrench long needle nose pliers might work.
Geezer914
Pull the knee pad. If you pull the gauges, you need to remove the steering wheel.
76-914
Take a 3/8 washer and cut a slice out of it like you're slicing a pizza. This will allow you to unscrew the bezel w/o scratching it and the stem of the switch won't interfere with the washer. Flip the washer over for all of the other bezels. beerchug.gif
bdstone914
The dimmer function often fails. You can jumper two wires to set the dash lights at full bright. I think it is 53a and 53b.
emerygt350
Thanks guys, is one way easier/better? I can pull my wheel with my eyes closed so that isn't a deterrent.
TheCabinetmaker
I pull the knee pad. Gauge cluster can be a pain when the wires come loose. I don't know if the wires to the switch are long enough to get thru the gauge hole.
emerygt350
Not sure if it is just my car or the year but I pulled the pad and it was entirely blocked by the harness from that side. Pulled the wheel and it was easy peezy through the tach.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.