Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can you, put this puzzle together?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Garland
UPDATE: 10/11/05 Read till the end for the answer to "What is Spain Equipment"

Just got my "Certificate of Authenticity" and would like help in determining the build for my project car as it was when new.
The Optional equipment list is where I need help. Five questions:

Spain Equipment?
Green glass?
What wheels and tire size?
Also any idea on how the bumpers would have come, chrome, color of car or black?
Sail trim chrome or painted?

Vin is early 72

Here is how it reads,

Model Year/Type: 1972 914
Birth date/Delivery Date: 03/01/1972
Engine Number: 035619
Transmission Number: Not Recored
Exterior Paint Color/Code: Silver Metallic / 8010
Interior Material Color / Type: Black - Leatherette
Optional Equipment:
Spain Equipment
Green Tinted Glass
Center Seat Cushion
Extended Radial Tires

I will be posting a thread of the complete build.
I think you may know the car I posted some of the work last year.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Garland @ Aug 13 2005, 10:42 PM)
Green glass?

i've got green tinted glass. it's just that, the glass has a green tint to it. i like it!

cool.gif Andy
Gustl
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Aug 14 2005, 07:49 AM)
QUOTE (Garland @ Aug 13 2005, 10:42 PM)
Green glass?

i've got green tinted glass. it's just that, the glass has a green tint to it.

AFAIK there were 2 different options

• only the windshield window
  • windshield and side windows

the rear window wasn't available "green tinted"

IIRC we discussed the "spain equipment" before, unfortunately without a solution sad.gif

What wheels and tire size?

if no optional wheel: the standard size was a 4 1/2 x 15" steel wheel with 155 SR 15
but I don't know about the meaning of "Extended Radial Tires"

Also any idea on how the bumpers would have come, chrome, color of car or black?

in general it should look like this one (but this one has got optional Pedrini wheels)
it's the '72 sales brochure

user posted image
Gustl
one addition: the headlight surroundings have to be white rolleyes.gif
Garland
[QUOTE=Gustl,Aug 14 2005, 02:41 AM] [/QUOTE]
i've got green tinted glass. it's just that, the glass has a green tint to it. [/QUOTE]

Got the green glass, and installing a new windsheild clear.

IIRC we discussed the "spain equipment" before, unfortunately without a solution sad.gif

Still need to find out about this, I am contacting Porsche. Will update with answer.

[QUOTE]What wheels and tire size?
[/QUOTE]
if no optional wheel: the standard size was a 4 1/2 x 15" steel wheel with 155 SR 15
but I don't know about the meaning of "Extended Radial Tires"

Will also ask Porsche about Extended.

[QUOTE]Also any idea on how the bumpers would have come, chrome, color of car or black?
[/QUOTE]

in general it should look like this one (but this one has got optional Pedrini wheels)
it's the '72 sales brochure

This is not a "Sales Brochure" It is a "specifications sheet" Printed in the USA all brochures I have seen are printed in Germany. I have seen these one page sheets before.

user posted image

[/QUOTE]
SO,
Four questions to go!

Spain Equipment?

What tire size?
Gustl
QUOTE (Garland @ Aug 14 2005, 05:41 PM)
SO,
Four questions to go!

Spain Equipment?

What tire size?

I'd say 2 questions to go idea.gif

due to my "not so good" english I prefered to show you the pic, which should answer 2 questions:
bumpers in car colour
targa bar in car colour - no trim

btw - you might not have seen much 914 brochures - lots of them are printed in the states cool.gif
I've a really big collection over all years with 4 different language versions ...
BS Chairman
John,
Call me or pm and I'll give you Tim's phone number. Remember his 72 that took early class? His car is just as it came from the factory and he can answer all your question right here in town well, Milford anyways! I believe that he was sitting at the table right next to you at 914 MWC banquet.
Gary
Garland
[QUOTE=Gustl,Aug 14 2005, 12:01 PM][QUOTE=Garland,Aug 14 2005, 05:41 PM]SO,
Two questions to go!

Spain Equipment?

What tire size?

I'd say 2 questions to go idea.gif

due to my "not so good" english I prefered to show you the pic, which should answer 2 questions:
bumpers in car colour
targa bar in car colour - no trim

btw - you might not have seen much 914 brochures - lots of them are printed in the states cool.gif
I've a really big collection over all years with 4 different language versions ...[/QUOTE]
Two questions to go!

Spain Equipment?

What tire size?

Also with out trim package, no chrome bumbers?
DblDog
My 72 was a 'non-appearance' type: bumpers are the same color as the car, sails and trim also the same. The black paint was $185...I have the original window sticker...
Garland
QUOTE (DblDog @ Aug 14 2005, 01:07 PM)
My 72 was a 'non-appearance' type: bumpers are the same color as the car, sails and trim also the same. The black paint was $185...I have the original window sticker...

Thanks

Two questions to go!

Spain Equipment?
What tire size?

Model Year/Type: 1972 914
Birth date/Delivery Date: 03/01/1972
Engine Number: 035619
Transmission Number: Not Recored
Exterior Paint Color/Code: Silver Metallic / 8010
Interior Material Color / Type: Black - Leatherette
Optional Equipment:
. Spain Equipment
x Green Tinted Glass
x Center Seat Cushion
. Extended Radial Tires
Garland
I have sent requests to PCA, COA and a inside contact at VW headquarters for the answer to:

Spain Equipment
Extended Radial Tires

Who will solve these mysteries first? idea.gif
Garland
QUOTE (Garland @ Aug 14 2005, 08:03 PM)
I have sent requests to PCA, COA and a inside contact at VW headquarters for the answer to:

Spain Equipment
Extended Radial Tires

PCA answers first with no solution.

Answer:
Well the obvious answer is that it had whatever special equipment was required for Spain, however what that was I don't know. It's common knowledge that Euro market cars had different park and tail light lens coloring, for example I've seen front park light lenses for 911's that were mostly all white, with only a small amber section, for Italy. I've seen 914 tail lights with the reverse light portion in amber for the French market. It seems I've read somewhere that headlight washers were required for Sweden, but I've never seen any specific reference for Spain requirements. I assume that this car has none of the normal USA requirements, such as VIN tag on windshield post or EPA sticker on the drivers door jamb. I also don't know what extended radial means, perhaps it was for "extended life" tire. I think we need help from a PCA member in Spain!

Ed Mayo - PCA WebSite - 8/14/2005

I write back.

Ed,
It has both a VIN plate and EPA sticker.
John

Hope for more from PCA.
Gustl
QUOTE (Garland @ Aug 15 2005, 07:03 AM)
I also don't know what extended radial means, perhaps it was for "extended life" tire.

now, that would be an idea ...

if so, the size would be standard:
4 1/2 x 15" steel wheel with 155 SR 15
Garland
QUOTE (Garland @ Aug 15 2005, 12:03 AM)
[/QUOTE]

I write back.

Ed,
It has both a VIN plate and EPA sticker.
John

Hope for more from PCA.

And the responce is:

Well now i'm really confused! Why would it list Spain equipment and also have USA certification. Sounds like a good setup for a mystery novel.I think that is a good question for someone at PCNA.
Ed   

Garland
QUOTE (Garland @ Aug 14 2005, 08:03 PM)

Spain Equipment
Extended Radial Tires

COA sends this:

John,
In answer to your questions on your 914:

The Spain equipment refers mostly to the instruments and emissions being in Spanish and conforming to the Spanish laws regarding emissions, etc.

The Extended radial tires are option 577, just means that the vehicle left the factory with 15" radial tires. I'm thinking radial tires were an option back then.

I hope this helps.
thanks,

Barbara Kurz
Certificate of Authenticity Department
Porsche Cars North America

I write back:

Barbara,

There is no indication of the Spanish language used anywhere on the car. I am not the original owner, but believe all evidence of this could not be replaced with english. The vin label and emission labels (engine and fuel) are in english and still on the body. All instrumentation is the same as all the other 914's I own, or have owned. Would you look future into this and get back with me.
I understand the explanation for the tires.

Thank You

Gustl
QUOTE (Garland @ Aug 20 2005, 03:28 AM)
The Extended radial tires are option 577, just means that the vehicle left the factory with 15" radial tires. I'm thinking radial tires were an option back then.

well, I cross-checked this with info the Brian Long book and it fits smilie_pokal.gif

at page 154 it shows a couple of the available options
at MY 1972 there is listed option:
M577 - Gurtel tyres 165 SR 15 (as used in the S-pack) [Gurtel tyres = radial tyres]

if there are no optional rims listed, these radial tyres have to be on the standard rims
4 1/2 x 15 (steel)

Garland

One questions to go!
Spain Equipment?
Getting some responses from PCA and COA. Just don't seem correct. Will post the follow up answers.
Thanks to everybody for getting me this far.
Garland
Follow up from PCA

John,
The Spanish equipment code does not mean that the Spanish language was used. It simply means that the emissions and instruments were in line with what would be needed if the vehicle was imported to Spain, at the time the car left the factory.

I hope this helps. Thanks,
Barbara
r_towle
that would be a valid answer if you have KPH as the primary Speedo....but if its MPH..then I guess that still begs to question..
Katmanken
Everybody knows Spansh Equipment was a red front, yellow doors and roof, and a red rear- just like the Spanish flag.

Also, torro horns on the hood and burro bars front and rear.

There ya have it.

So, any more questions?

Ken
Garland
QUOTE (r_towle @ Aug 22 2005, 06:21 PM)
that would be a valid answer if you have KPH as the primary Speedo....but if its MPH..then I guess that still begs to question..

Good point, it has a MPH speedo. So...............

Barbara,
I almost hate to ask this but, the question came up

"that would be a valid answer if you have KPH as the primary Speedo....but if its MPH..then I guess that still begs to question.. "

It has a MPH speedo. Yes this could have been changed out, although it appears to be original to the car as removing it the rubber trim ring appears to have never removed before and the maintenance record fits the mileage on the odometer. If you could again reply, please do. I am aware of other 914 owners with this same option on there COA and this has become quite a mystery. Could the dealership in the USA changed out the speedo if shipped to the US instead of Spain?
Were there many Spain option cars built that never were shipped to Spain, and instead to the US? Do you know how many 914 went to Spain?

Thanks
John
SirAndy
i don't think they would have shipped them from germany to the us and then back to spain ...

maybe they had a bunch of cars that were supposed to go to spain and went to the us instead, thus having the "spain equipment" on file, but were later federalized for the us market ...

just a thought ...
wink.gif Andy
Garland
Andy,
Thants what I ment! I reread it again, am I missing something?
Garland
More :

John,
I really don't have the answers to the questions you are asking. I would recommend calling the 1-800-PORSCHE phone nubmer, prompt 3, and ask for the research department.

Thanks,
Barbara
Garland
So I responded with this:
Barbara,

I contacted Archive Research as you recommended. They advised me they
do not have the ability to perform research of that type over the phone.
They did offer to fax me a form to fill out that would request specific
information to be researched. I ask them to fax me the form.

The form requires me to commit to a minimum charge of $40.00 for the
first hour spent, and that rate applies to each hour after with my prior
approval.

I feel that the explanation of the COA should not be my finical
reasonability. What assistance can you offer me in understanding Spain equipment option listed in the COA in
this case.

Thank You
Garland
And the reply was:

John,
I do not have the specific detailed information on the Spain equipment - just the code of "C27". I have contacted the factory in Germany to see if they can help. I will let you know when I have an answer.

Thanks,
Barbara
Garland
Here is the answer from the Factory in Germany!

John,
I have heard from the factory in Germany regarding your option of C27 Spanish equipment.

Here's what it includes, specifically. We don't put this information on the certificate as it would begin to get too technical.

Instruments with English measure
Activated Carbon box (Evaporation controlling)
Brake hydraulic with 2 circle brake control lamp
Automatic belt trolley
Sealed beam head lamps, side marker lamps, license plate holder
Fog lamps white, over the bumper.

I hope this helps.
Barbara Kurz
Garland
Well guy's and gal's what does this mean?

"Fog lamps white, over the bumper."

But at lease I got the answer to a long sought after question.
Brando
QUOTE (Garland @ Oct 11 2005, 04:15 PM)

Foglights outside, white lense (like a 911 SC/80's carerra).
davep
So then, Speedo in MPH, and English scripts where applicable.
Evaporative emissions control system for fuel tank.
Dual circuit brake system with warning switch.
Auto retract seat belts.
Sealed beam headlights, side marker lights.
Clear fog lights.

Basically the same as North American spec. Does it have safety glass windshield?
Garland
QUOTE (davep @ Oct 11 2005, 10:05 PM)
Does it have safety glass windshield?

Yes, the windshield was the same as US. I know this becuse the orginal windshield was in the car when I got it. But on the way home, on the flatbed, while following it in my Audi, I had to change lanes to avoid the windshield, as it blew off the car, and smashed in the lane next to me. I can still see it comming at me while doing 65mph. I was so sad.
bd1308
woah...i would have crapped my pants.

good thing you didnt get hurt

SirAndy
QUOTE (Garland @ Oct 11 2005, 05:13 PM)
C27 "Spanish Equipment":

- Instruments with English measure
- Activated Carbon box (Evaporation controlling)
- Brake hydraulic with 2 circle brake control lamp
- Automatic belt trolley
- Sealed beam head lamps, side marker lamps, license plate holder
- Fog lamps white, over the bumper

another mystery solved!

smilie_pokal.gif Andy
Gustl
QUOTE (Brando @ Oct 12 2005, 04:45 AM)
QUOTE (Garland @ Oct 11 2005, 04:15 PM)

Foglights outside, white lense (like a 911 SC/80's carerra).

could anybody post a pic please?

I still have no idea how this looks like unsure.gif

confused24.gif Gustl
gopack
Is this the idea on the fog lights?
Garland
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Oct 12 2005, 12:56 AM)

another mystery solved!

smilie_pokal.gif Andy

pray.gif

Thank you Sir.

type47
in the latest excellence magazine, on pg 127, a dealer announces that he will send you info re; your porsche if you email him your VIN. i think this is just a way to collect email addresses so keep that in mind. anyway, i requested the info and got some interesting info:

1) on one of my cars, i got the engine number just confirming that it is the factory installed engine, i strongly suspected that anyway

2) on the same car, i got an option of "extra air conditioning" i'd like to know the details of that option. "roll down 2 factory installed windows" laugh.gif

3) on the other car, i got a color listed that doesn't show up on the color charts posted here recently. the paint code on the door jamb shows a color bahia red, the info said metallic gray!

it gives me the impression of being similar to a cardex or COA, just less formal, maybe the same or less accurate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.