Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: On a more personal note - Thanks MOM
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
I typically don't go into much detail online about my personal life, but this really hit home today. I took a drive to visit my mom today.

My background was in drafting and engineering, and before I even started working for Hansen I did a project that was healing and cathartic.

My mom passed away when I was 25. Way too soon, but that's the had that was dealt. In dealing with her passing, I wound up having some issues getting her headstone made. What I did was to take this on as a passion project. I came up with a design that I knew she would love, but wasn't sure how to go about making it.

I learned the pattern making process for foundry and wound up making the design, using actual shells and some clay. I was able to cast it in a resin that is used in the foundry process. Along the way I met people that were willing to work with me and show me how things need to be done. I also met the owner of a small foundry that was very helpful and cast it for me.

I also chose a marble that was cut and polished and drew up the fabrication details so we could mount the plaque.

Little did I know that the people I met and worked with would later be associated with 914Rubber. Way before I even thought about making 914 parts, I was learning the skills and meeting the people that would help us make what we have today.

It hadn't dawned on me until I was up there today cleaning it off.

I'd trade it all in second for more time with her, but it made me what / who we are today....so thanks Mom.
scallyk9
What a wonderful story and perfect for the day as we all remember mothers who have passed on. Thank you for sharing!
Freezin 914
A great story, thank you for all you do for our community. beerchug.gif
76-914
What a beautiful headstone. Also a beautiful first name. Way too young. beerchug.gif
infraredcalvin
Glad I read this today, hits home!

My mom passed four years ago, this was the first year I could bring myself to actively participate in her legacy project, made this Mother's Day more special.

Love to all the moms out there and beyond
Root_Werks
Very inspiring to say the least!

Been lucky enough to have had a few people in my life who helped bring me up.

Gone too soon, but always cherished the time I did have with them.
wonkipop
beautiful design.

suggests watery dissolution. both the stone and the casting. a lovely idea executed with great skill.

-----

explains your work to this day?
thinking and making in the negative to result in a positive object.
beerchug.gif

-----

a few years ago i had to design a headstone for a mentor of mine.,
was about the hardest thing i have ever had to do.
it would only have been about 1/10 the mental difficulty of you designing and making a piece for your mother. i can appreciate what you did.
SO.O.C914er
I just spent my first Mother’s Day without my mom she passed away 11/12/22 at 94 she was 91 when I took her for a ride down PCH. It was a tuff Mother’s Day to get through.
rick 918-S
Thank you for sharing you story.
Nate W
Thanks for the awesome story and thanks for everything you make for 914s
ValcoOscar
What a wonderful story Mark beerchug.gif

Thanks for sharing smile.gif

See you at WCR in a few weeks

O
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.