Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC- What do you use to take off your lug nuts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisReale
Im sick of doing this by hand. I un-torque them, and then use a ratchet to remove them. I used a guy's cordless drill at the last AX I went to, and it took me about five minutes to change all tires, not 20 like it usually does. I went to Sears, and was looking at Cordless drills, but they all have a keyless chuck, and I need something with a 3/8 inch end to put my socket on. What do you use?
TimT
buy a cheapo electric impact from harbor frieght or northern hydraulics...

like $100

use until you dispose of it mueba.gif LOL
URY914
There are cordless impact wrenches now. Sorta pricey at $200-300.

I use a speed wrench or "spanner" to get mine off when I'm not in my shop.

Paul
URY914
That cordless impact is $300 at Harbour Freight.

Use can use these with a cordless drill and a socket...
TheCabinetmaker
I have a dozen different cordless drills in my cabinet shop from the small 9 volt's to a 24 volt powerhouse Dewalt hammer drill. I can't imagine a cordless drill breaking loose a lug bolt!
Mark Henry
When we raced stock cars we used a gas bottle (argo-mix, nitrogen, CO2, whatever was non flammable) and a pneumatic impact wrench.
ChrisReale
The cordless drill I was loking at had up to 500 lbs of torque! Im not looking to break anything loose, just speed up the process
URY914
vsg914,
A cordess drill won't break loose the torqured lug. Break it loose by hand than use the cordless drill to back out the lug nut/bolt quickly.

Paul
TheCabinetmaker
sounds like a two man operation would make things pretty quick
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 26 2003, 06:02 PM)
When we raced stock cars we used a gas bottle (argo-mix, nitrogen, CO2, whatever was non flammable) and a pneumatic impact wrench.

Yup we did that too.....doubles as a filler for the tires. We used nitrogen.
Porsche Rescue
I think they have adapters that work with the keyless chuck. You could even use 3/8 drive since you are not torqueing, only spinning.
If you want to go low tech and cheap, use what is called a "speed wrench", looks like a crank. You can spin them on and off real fast. Still need to break them loose and torque with a torque wrench.
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
I use a very small SCUBA bottle to air up my collapsable spare. I know a guy who uses a bigger bottle to run pneumatic tools. They make aluminum tanks that are kinda lite. The only down side is you need to be SCUBA certified to buy and refill the damn bottle. The tanks are somewhat portable and might work with an impact wrench. The dive shop I use sells hoses and adapters with air chucks etc. I think they sold me the first stage of a two stage SCUBA regulator that reduces the pressure from about 2200psi to, I think about 125psi. I don't dive much anymore so I'm not totally sure about the air pressure. Maybe if you know someone who dives, they can help you out.
Cheers, Elliot

PS I think Lawrence is a SCUBA instructor, maybe he can help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.