Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shock s and strut recommendations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VolksSled
beer3.gif

Can someone recommend where to buy replacement shock s and struts

I’m looking for the most comfortable ride not knife edge handling

Since I’ve gotten back into 914 s I’m seeing coil over rear setups being sold now type.gif

Should I be leaning towards that or just replacing the stock stuff

?

stirthepot.gif

And what kinda budget should i plan for ?$

( I already know I don’t have elephant racing type money $ ) *
Cairo94507
Give Eric Shea at PMB Performance a call. They can advise you and set you up. beerchug.gif

https://pmbperformance.com
dr914@autoatlanta.com
original sach boge brand oil shocks
and stock 85 lb springs

QUOTE(VolksSled @ May 15 2023, 07:34 AM) *

beer3.gif

Since I’ve gotten back into 914 s I’m seeing coil over rear setups being sold now

?

stirthepot.gif

VolksSled
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 15 2023, 09:59 AM) *

original sach boge brand oil shocks
and stock 85 lb springs

QUOTE(VolksSled @ May 15 2023, 07:34 AM) *

beer3.gif

Since I’ve gotten back into 914 s I’m seeing coil over rear setups being sold now

?

stirthepot.gif

I already have a pair of weltimestirr 100 lbs springs
But that other stuff sounds good

Do you sell the package without the springs ?
VolksSled
http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-914-6-F...N-RBEK9146.html

Is this what I need ?

Says 914/6 , will it work on a 73 / 4 ?
Dave_Darling
Note that the stock springs were in the range of 50-65 lb/in. The 100s, while sold as "replacement stock", are noticeably stiffer. The specs in the factory manuals are kind of odd, but Bruce Stone and I walked through the math needed to frame them as lb/in and it came out to that range. Which agrees with the numbers quoted in "Upfixin der Porsche", which is a good confirmation.

--DD
VolksSled
QUOTE(VolksSled @ May 16 2023, 01:37 PM) *

Is this what I need ?

Buller ? Anybody ?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(VolksSled @ May 17 2023, 11:40 AM) *

QUOTE(VolksSled @ May 16 2023, 01:37 PM) *

Is this what I need ?

Buller ? Anybody ?

I personally have and prefer the Bilistein shocks, i have the B6 sport, a bit stiffer with stock springs has a nice firm ride, with stock tires its more forgiving if you have lower profile tires then less-so. I do occasionally DE or AX and mountain carving so went with a slightly more performance feel.
r_towle
For an adjustable ride to suit your needs, I would strongly suggest Koni.

Stock Boge struts and shocks leave you lacking the performance, and IMHO Bilstiens are just too stiff for a 914.

Koni gives you and adjustable range so you can choose what fits your style.

This is not a place I would suggest you go a cheap as possible, because you will end up replacing the boges with something stiffer.

Never buy KYB...they stink, do a search.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/KON8...5&DID=39090
rhodyguy
Koni yellows at $185 per, fronts, @ Paragon Products. You adj the rebound rate? with a knob from the trunks. The adj rear perches with 100# springs work swell. I would call about availability first. You will prob be at $1k +/- all in.
VolksSled
pray.gif
JeffBowlsby
I vote for the Bilsteins. Have not tried Koni's but the Bils handle great.
Steve
I have tried both. Koni's can be adjusted softer than Bilsteins. Note Koni's require rubber bumpstops. Bilstein does not.
bbrock
I wound up going with Bilsteins and was concerned they would be a little too stiff for a street ride. I was pleasantly surprised at how supple they are. Firm, but supple which gives great handling and a comfortable ride. I've made several 400 mile straight through road trips in my car in total comfort. In fact, it's the only car I've ever owned that I can drive 400 miles and still be ready for more at the end of the trip. biggrin.gif

Bottom line is I don't think you can go wrong with either Bilstein or Koni.
JamesM
QUOTE(VolksSled @ May 15 2023, 06:34 AM) *

If comfortable ride is your goal its worth not overlooking the improvement that replacing the 50 year old rubber control arm bushings can make. Old rock hard rubber transfers a lot of vibration through the chassis regardless of the suspension you are running.

That along with additional sound deadening in the cabin can add a lot of the comfort level (in addition to sticking with all stock boge shocks and springs)

tire selection will also play a part in overall comfort.
VolksSled
QUOTE(JamesM @ May 17 2023, 06:20 PM) *

QUOTE(VolksSled @ May 15 2023, 06:34 AM) *

If comfortable ride is your goal its worth not overlooking the improvement that replacing the 50 year old rubber control arm bushings can make. Old rock hard rubber transfers a lot of vibration through the chassis regardless of the suspension you are running.

That along with additional sound deadening in the cabin can add a lot of the comfort level (in addition to sticking with all stock boge shocks and springs)

tire selection will also play a part in overall comfort.

aktion035.gif Bushings definitely
zoomCat
Pelican Parts is having a sale on Koni at the moment.

Click to view attachment
VolksSled
QUOTE(zoomCat @ May 17 2023, 11:59 PM) *

Pelican Parts is having a sale on Koni at the moment.

Click to view attachment

wub.gif
Geezer914
Just my opinion for what it's worth. You buy a sports car for the performance and handling. You buy a Cadillac for a comfortable ride. I am running 19mm torsion bars in front with 140lb. springs in the rear and Bilstein's all around. I am 75 and I like taking corners like it's riding on rails! Keeps my blood flowing and the heart pumping!
VolksSled
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ May 18 2023, 06:03 AM) *

Just my opinion for what it's worth. You buy a sports car for the performance and handling. You buy a Cadillac for a comfortable ride. I am running 19mm torsion bars in front with 140lb. springs in the rear and Bilstein's all around. I am 75 and I like taking corners like it's riding on rails! Keeps my blood flowing and the heart pumping!

I hear that ….

I think I’m going with bilsteins all around - from paragon
New front bushings - from 914 rubber

and 100 lbs springs ( I already have the springs )

Any other component I’m forgetting while “ I’m in there”
?
Geezer914
When you replace the front bushings, check the torsion bars for wear marks, if they are bad, replace the bars.
r_towle
if you are replacing the front a-arm bushings you should replace the ball joints, wheel bearings and tie rods...just get it over with. Its all old.

Removing the a-arm requires removing the ball joint from the strut....so you are right there, a simple process with the a-arm in your hand.

Rich
Geezer914
Good advice Rich.
VolksSled
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 18 2023, 12:16 PM) *

if you are replacing the front a-arm bushings you should replace the ball joints, wheel bearings and tie rods...just get it over with. Its all old.

Removing the a-arm requires removing the ball joint from the strut....so you are right there, a simple process with the a-arm in your hand.

Rich

Ok
But ? Then To turbo tie rod or not to turbo tie rod ?

Do those turbos belong on 914 s ?
Steve
QUOTE(VolksSled @ May 18 2023, 01:39 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 18 2023, 12:16 PM) *

Rich

Ok
But ? Then To turbo tie rod or not to turbo tie rod ?

Do those turbos belong on 914 s ?

Yep!! Huge difference, but also depends on how warn out your stock tie rods are.
mlindner
I love the Koni package that Ground Control offers. I run 180 lbs spring in the rear.Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Yes, on turbo tie rods, and from personal experience Koni reds or their Koni equivalent, are a good option
Olympic 914
Running the same Koni package from Ground Control.

But using 125# springs and stock torsion bars up front. F+R sway bars.

Ride is nice and handles great.

Click to view attachment
rjames
About to purchase replacement shocks and struts. Finally replacing the KYBs the PO installed. I don’t see anything but Konis available for struts. Does Bilstein make struts?

I still have to stock springs on the car, but I have a box with nearly new 100 lb weltmeister springs that I plan on using. They measure ~ 10” unsprung. Will the Koni’s minimal height adjustment (compared to the Bilsteins) allow me to lower the rear enough?

Is mixing Konis in the front with Bils in the back a bad idea?

Leaning toward Konis, but worried about the limited height adjustment for the rears.
brant
Tires will make the most difference in ride
The larger the profile/aspect ratio the better it will ride

Low profile tires even on soft shocks/springs will ride ruf
Freezin 914
Just to give a vote, I have Bilstein B6 on both my 911 and the 14, and would recommend them.

As for coil overs,, the spring rate makes all the difference. As some have stated some are 180# down to 100#. I personally like the ground control or Rebel racing ones. The coil over set ups allow for very precise ride height adjustments, and by running them opens up spring rate choices as well. Just my .02
rjames
QUOTE(brant @ Aug 8 2023, 07:06 PM) *

Tires will make the most difference in ride
The larger the profile/aspect ratio the better it will ride

Low profile tires even on soft shocks/springs will ride ruf

I have new 195/65s on now. Subtle difference from the 195/60s that were on there. (I’ll go back to 60s next time).

KYBs in the back are least 17 years old. Fronts could be the originals for all I know. One ball joint has a torn boot, so those will also get replaced. It’s time and I expect I’ll notice a difference in rife quality.
Freezin 914
QUOTE(rjames @ Aug 8 2023, 08:54 PM) *

About to purchase replacement shocks and struts. Finally replacing the KYBs the PO installed. I don’t see anything but Konis available for struts. Does Bilstein make struts?

I still have to stock springs on the car, but I have a box with nearly new 100 lb weltmeister springs that I plan on using. They measure ~ 10” unsprung. Will the Koni’s minimal height adjustment (compared to the Bilsteins) allow me to lower the rear enough?

Is mixing Konis in the front with Bils in the back a bad idea?

Leaning toward Konis, but worried about the limited height adjustment for the rears.

Personally, I think it’s a bad idea to mix brands of shocks/struts. Valving, rebound ride consistency etc etc can become a problem.
rjames
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Aug 8 2023, 07:29 PM) *

Just to give a vote, I have Bilstein B6 on both my 911 and the 14, and would recommend them.

As for coil overs,, the spring rate makes all the difference. As some have stated some are 180# down to 100#. I personally like the ground control or Rebel racing ones. The coil over set ups allow for very precise ride height adjustments, and by running them opens up spring rate choices as well. Just my .02

Would love the ground control option, but too much $.

Freezin 914
QUOTE(rjames @ Aug 8 2023, 09:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Aug 8 2023, 07:29 PM) *

Would love the ground control option, but too much $.

For my current car I bought a used (new) GC set up for reasonable money. (eBay)
For what it’s worth, on my last driver I put a used set of 100# springs on it, made a pretty substantial difference in ride and handling. And didn’t change the shocks or anything else do to money concerns. Car rode pretty low so it can be done without coil overs.
914_teener
QUOTE(VolksSled @ May 18 2023, 08:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Geezer914 @ May 18 2023, 06:03 AM) *

I hear that ….

I think I’m going with bilsteins all around - from paragon
New front bushings - from 914 rubber

and 100 lbs springs ( I already have the springs )

Any other component I’m forgetting while “ I’m in there”
?

Think James said it:

But I'll add since you asked:

Stock sway bar with adjustable drop links
Ball Joints if they are the originals.
Turbo Tie rods if they are the stock or replace the stock tie rods.
Inspect the steering coupler and replace if worn or cracked
Check the Rear Bushings for wear and trailing arm condition.

Tires are considered with the above and ride height and personnel preferences.

Springs (Progressive or personnel preference) considering driving habits and desires and tire size. I ran 140 spring rates in the rear with adjustable perches.

Shocks (struts) are last.....so again driving preferences and habits. Personally I ran progressive Billy's on all four corners because I like the feeling of riding on rails.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.