Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adding small gauges to stock dash face ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
I did a quick search and didn't see any examples, so I was wondering if anyone has added any small gauge(s) to (the face of) the stock dash area?

I'm working on two different 914's, 1 to be air cooled, the other an H6 suby, and considering using the available space by the cig.lighter to:

1) the air cooled car is getting a large 911 Oel temp/druck press unit that i already have, so the two extra spots over by the cig lighter would be a VDO stand alone fuel gauge (that I also already have) and a CHT gauge.. or would an AFR gauge be more appropriate since it'll probably run aftermarket FI eventually?
- also, maybe I should consider eliminating the cig.lighter all together [replace it with a small phone charging solution elsewhere] and use the space for three small gauges instead fuel/AFR/CHT ?

2) the suby car would be getting a 904 style custom gauge that has Oil Temp/Oil Press/Fuel, again that I already have. So I was thinking at least 1 small extra gauges in the dash plate for AFR. I don't recall anyone using a CHT gauge with the water cooled cars.. is there a need for one here? ..or maybe another small helpful gauge for the water pumper - a coolant temp gauge? Same thing though, I could possibly do all three by moving the cig.lighter?

Just planning ahead, and wanted to get a feel for how you guys would ideally configures the gauge set ups in these two cars. Thoughts and opinions welcome.

Steve
QUOTE(Literati914 @ May 15 2023, 02:53 PM) *

I did a quick search and didn't see any examples, so I was wondering if anyone has added any small gauge(s) to (the face of) the stock dash area?

I'm working on two different 914's, 1 to be air cooled, the other an H6 suby, and considering using the available space by the cig.lighter to:

1) the air cooled car is getting a large 911 Oel temp/druck press unit that i already have, so the two extra spots over by the cig lighter would be a VDO stand alone fuel gauge (that I also already have) and a CHT gauge.. or would an AFR gauge be more appropriate since it'll probably run aftermarket FI eventually?
- also, maybe I should consider eliminating the cig.lighter all together [replace it with a small phone charging solution elsewhere] and use the space for three small gauges instead fuel/AFR/CHT ?

2) the suby car would be getting a 904 style custom gauge that has Oil Temp/Oil Press/Fuel, again that I already have. So I was thinking at least 1 small extra gauges in the dash plate for AFR. I don't recall anyone using a CHT gauge with the water cooled cars.. is there a need for one here? ..or maybe another small helpful gauge for the water pumper - a coolant temp gauge? Same thing though, I could possibly do all three by moving the cig.lighter?

Just planning ahead, and wanted to get a feel for how you guys would ideally configures the gauge set ups in these two cars. Thoughts and opinions welcome.

You can enlarge the holes and put standard vdo gauges in there. You can see in this picture I added a voltmeter on the right and a fuel gauge on the left. I have also recently added a 904 gauge and changed the fuel gauge to an AFR gauge.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?aut...ch&id=11518
Root_Werks
There's also space on the other side if the cig lighter depending on year of your 914.
Literati914
QUOTE(Steve @ May 15 2023, 05:54 PM) *

You can enlarge the holes and put standard vdo gauges in there. You can see in this picture I added a voltmeter on the right and a fuel gauge on the left. I have also recently added a 904 gauge and changed the fuel gauge to an AFR gauge.

Thanks. Steve, I didn’t realize a gauge would even fit on the left side of the wheel, so thanks for that. Would you say that it was/is difficult to easily read?

r_towle
Not sure if you knew or have considered, but there used to be (may still be) a 911 dash conversion that can be done to a 914.
I think @sirandy has one in his car.
There are pics here somewhere.
Maury4
QUOTE(Literati914 @ May 15 2023, 05:53 PM) *

I took the radio out and made a panel to 3 VDO gauges there.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 15 2023, 05:13 PM) *

. . . there used to be (may still be) a 911 dash conversion that can be done to a 914.

Getty dash.
Steve
QUOTE(Literati914 @ May 15 2023, 05:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ May 15 2023, 05:54 PM) *

Thanks. Steve, I didn’t realize a gauge would even fit on the left side of the wheel, so thanks for that. Would you say that it was/is difficult to easily read?

It was pretty easy to see through the steering wheel. But they weren’t gauges you stare at all the time.
Literati914
Yea I’m aware of the 911 dash conversions, I like ‘em but not going there on either of these builds. Also, I’m keeping a radio and really want to avoid any kind of pods or hanging gauges.

I measured the back side of my un-installed dash on the right side of the wheel and there is NOT enough room for 3 gauges there. 2 gauges and a switch would work But since Steve’s picture showed a single gauge will fit on the left side (between the fog light switch and wheel opening), I think for the air cooled car I’m going to install the small CHT gauge under the 911 Oel combo (so that left side is temperature related) .. them on the right side where there’s only room for two small gauges, I’ll do the small AFR gauge and small Fuel gauge + there is room over there for a small red “fuel reserve” light.

burton73
What I have in my 6

Bob B

Click to view attachment
Literati914
QUOTE(burton73 @ May 15 2023, 10:35 PM) *

What I have in my 6

Bob B

^^ Wow, nicely executed.. all of it, great job !!

Steve
QUOTE(burton73 @ May 15 2023, 08:35 PM) *

What I have in my 6

Bob B

Click to view attachment

Does your oil tank level gauge work? I know factory 914-6 oil tanks did not come with that option.
burton73
QUOTE(Steve @ May 17 2023, 03:28 PM) *

QUOTE(burton73 @ May 15 2023, 08:35 PM) *

What I have in my 6

Bob B

Does your oil tank level gauge work? I know factory 914-6 oil tanks did not come with that option.

Steve,

It does have a factory sender and it does work. A bit of the custom work done back in the 70s
You can see the sender on my build http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=307620

See you in South Lake Tahoe

Bob B
Literati914
I started my dash/gauge customization today. The picture shows a volt meter and a pressure gauge which I’ll swap out for AFM & CHT when I get them. Fuel gauge will stay where it is.. and I’ve moved the hazard switch to its new location in the pic as well, actually gonna slide it slightly to the left for optimal placement. I’m doing that because the left side will have Lights switch/ Fog switch / Aux Rally light switch.

So the take away, is that yes two gauges (2-1/6”) will fit to the right of the wheel - but three will not.. and one will fit to the left of the wheel as the picture shows.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.