Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hood Venting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andys
I saw this car in a post, and I'm interested in seeing some more photos of the hood venting and ducting. Or perhaps who's car this. My patience ran out doing a search.

Thanks in advance,
Andys
brant
I built this hood from metal
In the 1990’s I think

The cooler intake is behind the plate
andys
QUOTE(andys @ May 19 2023, 04:24 PM) *

I saw this car in a post, and I'm interested in seeing some more photos of the hood venting and ducting. Or perhaps who's car this. My patience ran out doing a search.

Thanks in advance,
Andys

I am looking for photos of specifically that green car (With the white center stripes). I guess I was a little unclear in my original post; sorry. But thanks just the same for all the responses.

Andys
d914
oops just re-read

Click to view attachment
IanK
QUOTE(andys @ May 20 2023, 10:28 AM) *

QUOTE(andys @ May 19 2023, 04:24 PM) *

Thanks in advance,
Andys

I am looking for photos of specifically that green car (With the white center stripes). I guess I was a little unclear in my original post; sorry. But thanks just the same for all the responses.

Andys

It is/was for sale ...

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-car...e/914/101585875
andys
Yeah, that's the car! I'd like to see photos of the ducting and venting detail, or perhaps a build thread?

Thank you,
Andys
jd74914
If you look carefully at a few of the pictures in the ad, it looks like it’s literally a what you see is what you get. All of the cooler exit ducting is the hood which is exactly as seen in the picture you posted. One of the images with the lid up taken looking at the cooler shows no sign of seals or anything, it just looks like the hood duct comes in close proximity to the cooler.
IanK
QUOTE(andys @ May 19 2023, 06:24 PM) *

Thanks in advance,
Andys

If I were doing hoid venting, I would look at the 1968/69 Gulf GT40s ... single vent, curved ducting, Gurney lip.
SirAndy
QUOTE(IanK @ May 21 2023, 12:36 AM) *
If I were doing hoid venting, I would look at the 1968/69 Gulf GT40s ... single vent, curved ducting, Gurney lip.

That's what i did, except without looking at a GT40.
biggrin.gif

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
brant
Not the car your looking for
But ducting the air is very important
My hood closes with the ducting of the hood inside of the aluminum duct work of the chassis
r_towle
Curious, does it work better venting over the hood versus under the car?

I thought the original GT cars all vented underneath?
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 21 2023, 11:53 AM) *

Curious, does it work better venting over the hood versus under the car?
I thought the original GT cars all vented underneath?

@r_towle

With the under the car venting, it used to get very light both in the front and the rear and start wandering left to right without any steering input.
Really scary at 120mph+ blink.gif

Ever since i switched from under the car to through the hood the car is much more stable above 100mph.
driving.gif
r_towle
That makes sense.
I notice a big difference in my 85 911 with no rear wing and my 2006 with an automatic wing at 80 mph.
The wingless car does wander a bit.
cali914
Click to view attachment
mgarrison
The green car was my original inspiration. Here's my version of that style hood vent using a fiberglass hood:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=3067899

IanK
The GT40s had a convex curve for the ducting, as it allowed the air to flow more smoothly over the windshield and roof. I'll play around with some cardboard at some point.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.