Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Annoying problem when engaging first gear. Need advice.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914xr75
So I have this pestering problem with my 73 1.7 side shift. It’s not that big a deal for me, but when my 17-year-old daughter is driving she always has to use two hands to push it down into first. Here’s the problem: when you drop it down into first gear at the end, you have to kind of give it a little nudge, and sometimes go to the right. I know it’s probably a bushing or something like that. I have a day off in about a month and I want to tackle the problem. Wondering what parts I should buy in anticipation of my day off.

Also, I can downshift into first if I’m going about 5-10 mph, but other than that I cannot. I will get a grinding sound. I drive the car a couple times a week and it hasn’t changed at all. It’s always been like this. Had it for about six or more years. Does not pop out of gear or do anything else amiss other than that. Thanks in advance for any help you guys give me. Sean.
Cairo94507
Start with all of the bushings in the shifter and shifter rod assembly parts, from the shifter itself all the way to the side shifter console on the transaxle. Make sure everything is cleaned and lubed. Make sure you have good cone screws for the joints when're they connect to the shaft at the firewall, etc. Once you replace all of the bushings, (I had the bushing right below the shifter where the shifter connects to the shift rod disintegrate) check the clutch adjustment and then look at the adjustment in the shift console on the transaxle to see if you need to adjust it a tiny bit to ease that difficulty getting into 1st. Should not require 2 hands. Tiny adjustments make a big difference. beerchug.gif
emerygt350
Welcome to the Porsche dogleg. All the suggestions above will help, but in the end it will still not be the easiest car to get into first.

I can understand why they (Porsche) didn't really care (you have really screwed up on the track if you need to go into first) but for street it isn't the best. Once you get the linkages right I suspect you will still find there is some magic you learn as you come down to 1 territory that allows you to easily and quietly shift into first.

Now if they had made it harder to go into 2 on the way to 4, that would have been time well spent.
mepstein
Chances are the syncro and dog teeth are worn out. Nobody wants to have to rebuild a trans but first gear will wear out no matter how careful you are.
brant
agree.gif

They shift into first when rebuilt with good bushings
Double clutch or 3 to 1st if stopped …. When the expensive slider is worn
914xr75
Thanks for the suggestion so far. I’ve got one more daughter to go learning to drive stick after Lilly gets it down. Then I’ll probably send it to Dr. Evil or utilize the DVD I bought a few years ago. Probably go that way. I’m gonna try replacing all the bushings because I just need a little extra bit of ease.

It’s not that hard for me. I kind of know the trick, giving a little right thrust. If anyone else has additional suggestions, I’d appreciate it, and I’ll let you guys know next month how it goes

r_towle
I tend to pull them apart when I rebuild them, but I recall that you can service 1st gear with the trans in the car by removing the rear plate.

Bushings first, see if that solves it.
If not, start looking for the slider for first gear…

Rich
porschetub
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 21 2023, 12:33 PM) *

Start with all of the bushings in the shifter and shifter rod assembly parts, from the shifter itself all the way to the side shifter console on the transaxle. Make sure everything is cleaned and lubed. Make sure you have good cone screws for the joints when're they connect to the shaft at the firewall, etc. Once you replace all of the bushings, (I had the bushing right below the shifter where the shifter connects to the shift rod disintegrate) check the clutch adjustment and then look at the adjustment in the shift console on the transaxle to see if you need to adjust it a tiny bit to ease that difficulty getting into 1st. Should not require 2 hands. Tiny adjustments make a big difference. beerchug.gif

agree.gif ,I only use 1st gear after a rolling stop in 2nd,change down to 1st and move off ,this gear is used for moving off and not slowing the car cause that is what brakes are for,
weakest gear in the 901 as research indicates sad.gif .
Dr Evil
Per the Porsche factory update sometime in the 70s, you never should down shift into 1st while moving. At the speed it would be appropriate, brakes are sufficient for stopping and all you will do is wear the 1st parts out much faster. If its not going into gear unless moving, that is an indication of two possibilities, typically:
1- Clutch drag. Easy diagnostic is if you grind AT ALL going into reverse. Reveres grinding means internals are still turning due to the clutch disk still being spun. This will make low gear changes such. The lower the gear, the worse the shifting.
2- Synchro parts of 1st are too far gone. Starts with the band, then the teeth, then the slider, usually. This is costly.

The phenomenon you mention of having to rotate the shifter back amidships to get into 1st tells me that your adjustment is off. This should never be a thing if adjusted correctly. Likely, since this happened over time, it is due to the bushings in the U joint at the firewall. That one, in particular, translates the rotational movements.

Once you check and replace the bushings at firewall, U joint (this will suck a bit, enjoy the suck), shift console, and shift rod cup, readjust and see what you are left with. There are also two bushings inside of the stick shifter that can wear, but you tend to get more pronounced and wide spread shift issues.

Yes, you can change 1st parts in situ, but the pleasure/pain gradient on this task depends on your tolerance and skill.

If anyone local to me in OH has a 1st that needs addressing, I would be glad to shoot a video of the procedure since it appears that have only been write-ups and often that is not the best medium for communicating how to accomplish a task.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.