Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PMO carbs in my 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michel richard
In the /6 conversion that I'm currently running, the green car, I was using Mechanical Fuel Injection. I still think it's kind of sexy, but it's hard to get it to run really well in a 911, with everything original, and even harder in a 914 with non-stock intake and exhaust. I was not able to get rid of a big flat spot between 3K and 4K nor to get a properly functioning warm-up regulator. I got tired of the MFI and got PMO carbs instead.

I put them on the car that's running. They run ok, already, but the fine-tuning still needs to be done. I will take them to an expert to get them really tuned-up.

The install itself was easy, it's really a bolt-on exercise. Some have said that the weakest part of PMOs is the install instructions, but I thought they were OK.

Installation took 2 or 3 evenings of working slowly.

So here's an overall view:
michel richard
There's something funny about up-loading picures. I can't get it to work every time.
michel richard
left carb
michel richard
right carb
michel richard
fuel pressure regulator
michel richard
fuel filters
michel richard
fuel level window. It shows my level as a little high, but that may be because the engine was not running when the pics were taken. I believe the level was OK with the engine running, but I need to re-check.
Sparky
Soo...... Is this the teener your bringing down to the Ramble? Inquiring minds want to know...

See you soon!!

My best,
Mike D. beerchug.gif
michel richard
Finally, one of the bores. You can see the 32 mm venturi. The kits are really complete, with all parts for a conversion and all the little fittings, including fuel hose and clamps.
Joe Bob
Save the MFI parts....I might need them.... dry.gif
Mark Henry
So....feel like taking a road trip next weekend wink.gif
michel richard
QUOTE (Sparky @ Aug 14 2005, 07:43 AM)
Soo...... Is this the teener your bringing down to the Ramble? Inquiring minds want to know...

See you soon!!

My best,
Mike D.  :beer2:

Yes, same car as I had last year. Hopefully this time I won't show up on a flatbed.
The target is to get it to run really well before the Ramble. I can then swap that engine into the new car as a unit when the time comes.

Edit: Mike, forgot to wish you my best also. And I'm looking forward to quaffing (sp?) a few ales also.

Michel
michel richard
QUOTE (SEEMORE BUTZ @ Aug 14 2005, 07:45 AM)
Save the MFI parts....I might need them.... dry.gif

I now have a complete, and I mean complete, MFI system for sale. Including 2.2 E pump stacks and throttles. Pump works well and throttle shafts are tight (there's very slight play in one or two throttles, but I think they're ok). I probably won't advertise any more than this for a few weeks.
michel richard
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Aug 14 2005, 07:46 AM)
So....feel like taking a road trip next weekend wink.gif

I'll be there, but not with the teener. I'll take the SUV and a trailer. I'm bringing some parts. I'll need a spot in the vendor area. How will spots be assigned ? first come first pick ?

Mark Henry
QUOTE (michel richard @ Aug 14 2005, 11:52 AM)
I'll need a spot in the vendor area. How will spots be assigned ?

Lots of spots and we can make more.... wink.gif

I'll save you a good spot.
michel richard
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Aug 14 2005, 07:56 AM)

I'll save you a good spot.

Thanks. The plan is to come most of the way on Saturday and get a room in the thousand islands overnight. My wife said she would come !!!! (She's usually not big on car events)
J P Stein
If you find someone knowledgeable, attach your self like a limpet to him while he's doing the tuning job. .....ask questions, take notes & pics. Once you have the dance steps down it's a piece of cake.
michel richard
Good point, JP. The gentleman who will do the tuning does know what he does, and he is probably willing to let me watch him, and to instruct me.

I'll report

Michel
michel richard
As part of the work done on getting the PMOs dialed in, a big ignition problem was found, and apparently fixed.

You may read abotu it here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=2&t=36705
Brando
Michel, where can I get a fuel pressure regulator like yours?

Are one of those lines a return line? It looks like it.
michel richard
QUOTE (Brando @ Aug 17 2005, 04:13 PM)
Michel, where can I get a fuel pressure regulator like yours?

Are one of those lines a return line? It looks like it.

They came with the PMO kit, and I'm pretty sure they can be bought separately. See http://www.pmocarb.com/

And yes, the line to the left, in the pictures, towards the battery and lightly kinked is a return line. That regulator makes it possible to use a high pressure fuel injection pump with carbs.

HTHJ

IronHillRestorations
Gee, I woulda traded a BRAND NEW headlight bucket for a used MFI system rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.