Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Truss Bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DennisV
Here is the rear truss bar as found on our 914-6. Does anyone recognize it? I poked around the Google machine, but didn't find much.

Any gotchas for removing it? I'm putting the car back very close to stock and AFAIK, they didn't come with these. I don't see that it's welded anywhere.

I assume now would be a good time to replace the shocks it I were going to do that.
Click to view attachment
r_towle
If you are not racing the car with 11 inch wide rear slicks, I would remove it.
Seems like overkill to me.

Rich
Cairo94507
I could not agree more. Remove it and list it for sale in the Classifieds. beerchug.gif
914Sixer
Extreme racing only. Not practical for the street.
Superhawk996
Looks like a whole lot of extra weight for very little stiffness gain since it’s not even welded in.

It will be an upgrade to get rid of it.
rgalla9146

Manufactured by Stable Energies, Garfield, New Jersey
Mikey914
Agreed, unless you have a surplus of power, you'll actually go faster by removing it. lol-2.gif
DennisV
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ May 22 2023, 12:39 PM) *

Thanks! No photos or mention on their current website, but it must be this.

There is plate in the engine bay that indicates the car had a 1967 911S engine at point point. Guess someone was tracking it.
mepstein
Like everyone said above, it’s a rare part to see because it’s not going to do anything positive for 99.99% of the cars out there.
emerygt350
If the top bar flexed enough to utilize the cross bracing, you hit a wall.
Racer
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ May 22 2023, 03:39 PM) *

Yup. They also sold a camber truss fir pre 964 911s to sure up shock tower movement.

I had a truss like the one pictured in a 76 I bought. Immediately removed it, and its weight penalty.

Folks tried everything to stiffen these cars.
BillJ
My father ran this in the six in the past. Vanished at some point and dont think it does very much good.
rick 918-S
Rube Goldberg device.
East coaster
Are the rear shocks even stressed much beyond supporting the springs (lateral, radial, etc)?
brant
QUOTE(East coaster @ Jun 3 2023, 07:20 PM) *

Are the rear shocks even stressed much beyond supporting the springs (lateral, radial, etc)?

Nope

The pick up points for the swing arm are
But not the shocks, nor their mountings
silverg
It made the buyers car go faster by lighting his wallet
DennisV
QUOTE(East coaster @ Jun 3 2023, 06:20 PM) *

I was looking at this with my father last weekend. He wondered if maybe the car had developed a stress fracture around the shock tower and they used this to mitigate things getting worse.

I can't see anything obvious. The seam sealer, or whatever that black stuff is, makes it hard to tell. Guess I can take it off and a bit of driving will reveal.

Click to view attachment
brant
That’s layered metal in the towers

They can tear welds if your running 400lb springs but it’s not common
Only when racing with extreme spring rates

Don’t think that truss would help at all with that type of problem

The rear trunk is the worse place for weight if you want optimal handling
Literati914
I wouldn’t be running out to buy one for a street car, but to me it honestly doesn’t seem like a whole lot of extra weight from just seeing your pics, and it’s already there, no expense. Easy to remove and compare - Go drive it hard and see if you think it’s a detriment to handling.

Craigers17
I'm no engineer, so I have no idea if these braces work or not, but Thorotec makes a similar strut brace, as well as a roll bar stiffening brace. Here are the links:

https://www.thoro-tec.de/en/p/strut-brace-rear-porsche-914

https://www.thoro-tec.de/en/p/struts-for-in...bar-porsche-914
r_towle
I might suggest that back in the day, when this car may have been raced, there was far less in depth knowledge regarding the 914.

So much knowledge here, including the details of fixing the metal in that specific area you have circled, along with all the real failure points of the rear of the chassis in racing conditions.

The super smart people here that race are steering you correctly.
remove it...and clean that black crap off the paint work smile.gif
Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.