Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Help: Shifter Lever
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
friethmiller
Need Help: I just completed restoring one of my shifters but I don't know how the chrome shift rod is attached into the ball. I pulled this one out of my car as soon as I noticed the rod was loose. Luckily, I have a few spares biggrin.gif. Is it suppose to be a friction fit? Or, is something inserted at the base to attach it? Is there a preferred method to do this? Thanks in advance.

Click to view attachment
914werke
It was epoxied by the factory. You can clean it & use glue again but many folks weld them in place.
friethmiller
QUOTE(914werke @ May 23 2023, 10:44 AM) *

It was epoxied by the factory. You can clean it & use glue again but many folks weld them in place.

Ah! Rich, you triggered a memory. I had to go find these photos I took last year. The one I restored recently is the one on the right in this photo. The one on the left is another one I have where the PO flipped the rod backwards, angled it in toward the driver and welded it down. Note the angle based on the shift rod couplers. I found this shifter a lot easier to operate but the ball of the shifter would hit my leg when in first gear (very annoying). Thanks for the info. Now I just need to figure out which method I should use idea.gif

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
emerygt350
I used the good strong epoxy you mix before using. It looks good and has held like a champ.
friethmiller
Ok, I had some 2-part epoxy on-hand. It says it bonds metal. We’ll see how it goes.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.