Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Subaru 2.5 engine and transmission conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
highroad2
Hello 914 World

I am new to this forum and would appreciate some basic information to do a 914 to Subaru engine/transaxle conversion.
I will be using a turbo 2.5, single cam per side and need advice as to which year 5 speed, flywheel and clutch will bolt up to this engine.

Do all Subaru transaxles have hydraulic activated clutch's?
I have heard that some Subaru transaxles have push clutch slave cylinders and others have pull. What is preferable.

Do most 914 owners rebuild the rear brake calipers or buy them from AutoAtlanta.com ?

I have spoken to JRust regarding his Subaru 914 but cannot figure out how to access his build on this forum.

I will appreciate your time and advice.
Thanks
Herman Pahls
Southern Oregon Coast
mgarrison
Hope this helps:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1368307

Some Subaru transmission info in this thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=351451
BillJ
A few of those crazy deviants live here so you should get some good answers soon
PanelBilly
Another new member. Welcome
Chris914n6
All of them. WRX would be preferred. Forester would have the lowest gearing. You do not want the STI 6-speed.

Yes. Look at build threads for ways to adapt it.

Either. Get the flywheel/PP/clutch that matches. Later trans have improvements. There is a file on the net that covers the changes. FactoryFive.com forum has good info too.

Have PMB rebuild the calipers. Prices are reasonable and quality is top notch.

JRUST build thread Beware... it's a tragic love story.

East coaster
Here’s a good reference for trans info: http://www.northursalia.com/techdocs/trann...Up2FG1-HOieBJCY
mgp4591
Take a look at Kent Williams build. He's using an EZ30 6 cylinder instead of the 4 but there's a wealth of information in his thread.
www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=201776
highroad2
914 forum
I am impressed with all the responses in such a short time.
you have given me plenty of homework to check out the references.
Thanks so much
rhodyguy
Kent is currently touristing in England.
highroad2
Hello 914 world
The Renegade Hybrids radiator kit appears to be very complete and sells for $1600 and they probably have the details figured out.

Does it make any sense to try to piece together a do it yourself cooling system to save 25%, 50% ????

I have seen on line some simpler radiator installs but who knows how well they ended up working out.

Any suggestions before I commit to the Renegade Hybrid?

Thanks
Highroad

mepstein
Yes. Guys have been very successful with diy solutions. I think the aluminum Toyota Celica radiator works really well.
Steve
QUOTE(highroad2 @ Jun 9 2023, 01:30 PM) *

Hello 914 world
The Renegade Hybrids radiator kit appears to be very complete and sells for $1600 and they probably have the details figured out.

Does it make any sense to try to piece together a do it yourself cooling system to save 25%, 50% ????

I have seen on line some simpler radiator installs but who knows how well they ended up working out.

Thanks
Highroad

It just depends on if you are tight on money and have the tools to fabricate something. I have the Renegade radiator in my v8 conversion. It fits great and works great. Otherwise do some searches on here to see what other people have done and also check out Kents "watered down 914's" facebook page.
tygaboy
agree.gif with @Steve
I, too, have the Renegade radiator "kit" in my LS car. But they get all the money for their stuff. Do some measuring and, assuming you're OK fabbing stuff, you'll be $$ ahead piecing together your own set up. That's what I'm doing on my current engine swap build.

Get quality parts, pay attention to hose routing so you don't create un-bleedable high spots, post pics along the way, ask lots of questions here and you should be all set.
Oh, and welcome.png
Steve
Also I don’t know if it’s true, but renegade radiators have a tendency to leak. Renegade Blames this on people mounting their radiator rigid in the 914 and when the 914 flexes it cracks the radiator. Mine is loosely fitted in the trunk and I have not had a problem. I also installed one for a friends v8 conversion and he also has had no problems.
Chris914n6
Save yourself 75% and use the ebay Toyota Celica / MRS "performance" radiator and stock fans. Fab mounts & sheetmetal. The 2.5L doesn't need much for cooling. Actually, the stock radiator should work for a Suby 2.5L.

I originally ran a VW Corrado rad with my 3.0L and it worked.

The RH kit was made for 400-500 hp Chevy V8 and is overkill for the little Subaru.

Hello 914 world

Thanks
Highroad

highroad2
914 World
Thanks again for so many responses regarding radiators for a Subaru.

After talking to Renegade Hybrid I am considering going with a V-8.
Renegade claims that the all aluminum LS engines only weigh 80 pounds more than the Porsche 6 cylinder that came in some 914's.
Not sure if that includes the cooling system, .........

I have also found online several older 914 conversions with iron small block Chevy (SBC).
My 914 came with the front engine mount, adapter, flywheel, clutch and SBC engine.
I never considered the SBC thinking it was way too heavy.
I know that how much engines and conversions really weigh in the automotive world is controversial.

What also shocked me is that Renegade suggests using the stock 914 transaxle.
i know from the off road world that transaxles and CV joints are the weak link.

I Would prefer to do an aluminum LS engine.
Please advise me as the true reality.
Thanks
Herman

mgarrison

Hello 914 world

Thanks
Highroad

$1,600 - OUCH chair.gif

I thought I spent a pretty penny going with the Mishimoto Celica radiator instead of a cheaper knockoff. I did go with a knockoff fan shroud since Mishi doesn't make one for their Celica radiator. It seems like you really don't need that size of a cooling system. One of the local guys in PHX (kind of hot here av-943.gif ) is running a Suby 2.5 with a Scirocco radiator with just the Suby water pump and has not had issues, to my knowledge.

Some of my radiator journey:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=3045741

Hope that helps... confused24.gif
Chris914n6
QUOTE(highroad2 @ Jun 15 2023, 12:35 PM) *

After talking to Renegade Hybrid I am considering going with a V-8.
Renegade claims that the all aluminum LS engines only weigh 80 pounds more than the Porsche 6 cylinder that came in some 914's.
Not sure if that includes the cooling system, .........

The question then is.... do you have a stock narrow body or flared?

A v8 puts out too much power for narrow wheels/tires and is realistically hard to drive fast.
Then if you go aluminum block LS ($$$$) then everything will need upgraded ($$$$)

That's where the suby makes sense. 170-250hp in a 2000lb car is fun, manageable and affordable.
nivekdodge
Chris Has an LS motor in a 914. I'm wondering what it weighs once Like Folgers, you add water.

Kevin
tygaboy
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Jun 15 2023, 07:04 PM) *

Chris Has an LS motor in a 914. I'm wondering what it weighs once Like Folgers, you add water.

Kevin

Not sure if I'm the Chris you're talking about but I have an LS3 in my car. It weighs about 2400 lbs. That's with a Boxster S trans, big brakes and some chassis stiffening, steel hood, trunk and bumpers.
nivekdodge
Thanks Chris
I was always wondering how much the whole system added to the car. But the stiffeners and brakes aren't light either.

Kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.