Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nailed: ***CAUTION - PRICE GOUGERS*** They're lurking here...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914outlaw
With the prices of our 914s going up, parts prices have also gone up. But in some cases it seems they have skyrocketed disproportionately. Mostly for the privates FS ads and not including Vendors (maybe) or anyone that sells parts as a business. No offense intended. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

“Nailed and bolded seems a little much.”

That was just copy and pasted from the Parts forum. Not intentional. Thanks for all the responses. I just wanted an idea of the validity of the current trend in prices. Cheers to all.
914sgofast2
QUOTE(914outlaw @ May 25 2023, 01:48 PM) *

With the prices of our 914s going up, parts prices have also gone up. But in some cases it seems they have skyrocketed disproportionately. Mostly for the privates FS ads and not including Vendors (maybe) or anyone that sells parts as a business. No offense intended. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

The prices being asked for 914 parts on Craigslist in San Francisco, Sacramento, and other Northern California areas have gone through the roof in the last 12 to 18 months.
StarBear
Plus, a lot of eBay listings are wrong. “For 914” but wrong year, engine, etc. typically not specific. mad.gif
Superhawk996
Please . . . I just spent $72 on lunch for two at a nice restaurant including tip.

It’s called inflation - the natural result of the government printing too many dollars.

The listings here on 914World have inflated slightly but nothing compared to what’s going on out in the world. Sellers on this forum are the best I’ve ever dealt with in the hobby community! beerchug.gif
mepstein
I don’t understand the concept. Sellers can ask anything they want. Buyers can choose to pay at the list price, negotiate a price or choose not to buy it. Unless it’s a little old lady getting scammed by someone or unfairly pressured … we are all adults here, able to make our own buying decisions.
r_towle
Have you priced out parts for a 356 lately?

These cars are now 50 years old.
There are less (decent) used parts out there.

You are free to not buy anything you think is priced too high.

75 bucks for lunch? I hope you had some drinks with that smile.gif
Ditto, limited availability parts command a premium price. You decide how much it's worth. After all each one of us is trying to increase the value of their project and rightfully so. Part out a 6 and you'll find what seem like crazy prices but to complete your project you pay. smile.gif
914Sixer
Yes sir, buying 914 parts cheap and retiring with every sale. av-943.gif
BillJ
We have as a community benefitted from the second class status in the porsche world. I have been driving one since 1988 and now with increasing values for the cars you can rightly expect increased prices on parts. Not to mention that in general these cars are getting rarer and rarer all the time and air cooled porsches in general have enjoyed an increase in prices.

I don't see crazy unreasonable prices on very many things coming across here on this site so a little perplexed by the post. If you remember that transmissions cost 200 bucks all day long and now they are all of a $500 all day long that kind of increase over the last 30 years it's not exactly price gouging. I have paid a pretty penny for some very nice high quality parts here and feel they are worth it.

Nailed and bolded seems a little much.
windforfun
"It’s called inflation - the natural result of the government printing too many dollars."

Really? You're kidding, right?

dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif
eric9144
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 25 2023, 01:46 PM) *

I don’t understand the concept. Sellers can ask anything they want. Buyers can choose to pay at the list price, negotiate a price or choose not to buy it. Unless it’s a little old lady getting scammed by someone or unfairly pressured … we are all adults here, able to make our own buying decisions.

agree.gif
When they get crazy, which we've all seen, walk/scroll away...
Also agree that we've enjoyed the second class status and it's worn off, now we pay out the @ss for some things, heck look at wheel and engine prices, even just a decade ago most were about 2.5x less than they are now "all day long" beer3.gif
VolksSled
I just got a gt grille
For 250

And before that on marketplace front and back very nice chrome bumpers
With nice rubber tops for 650
piratenanner.gif

So I feel like prices are fair’er then ever but I
Know what I’m willing to pay before I negotiate

( I did lurk for 17 years before finding them , parts )

Lucky I guess
Front yard mechanic
I try hard to hold back comments on over priced stuff especially mr masons ebay postings but sometimes it’s just impossible to keep my trap shut …. By the way your sport car with the rusted floor boards looks like barf.gif
sixnotfour
Often you have to Post a Price,, Start high take what ever.. Pretty simple always has been this way... The number is higher these days do to sales .................
GregAmy
They're only "gougers" if you choose to buy it. So...if you don't like the price, don't buy it.

It goes both ways: I want to buy your car for $2500. Since you won't sell it to me at that price, that makes you a "gouger" too.

Such a ridiculous made-up political term...
sixaddict
It’s been a long time since we have been in a period of high inflation. Some costs are rising significantly, however there will always be people/companies that consider it an opportunity. IMO , a core gearbox shouldn’t be $500 based on what it cost to rebuild but as BJ says that’s the reality.
Sometimes you find the high priced stuff still available a year later when the presumption is it was sold at asking.
To me, there is some softening ……lots of vendors having sales to encourage buyers. Just sayin.
Jett
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 25 2023, 03:49 PM) *

Yes sir, buying 914 parts cheap and retiring with every sale. av-943.gif

Lol that is what is happening when I buy parts from you smile.gif. Good deal all around!
r_towle
Im just happy I live on the opposite coast as Rick at HPH.
I would be foolish enough to buy up his business.

I don't learn from my mistakes.

rich
914Sixer
The old adage: Do you want to keep it or sell it?
Mikey914
I think all on all, parts have actually come down (at least ones being made).

There was a time in 1988 where I ordered a set of vertical targa seals out of a catalog and they were $150 for the set.

Now available at a fraction of that, in today's dollars!

Put it to you this way, the market will correct if we can supply, then price comes down.

Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 26 2023, 10:03 AM) *

The old adage: Do you want to keep it or sell it?

Jim at EASY taught me a good mantra for selling parts,
"I'm not running a fucking museum, I'm selling Porsche parts, if you want to buy it, I'll sell it."

With that being said I sell parts at market prices, which is sometimes great, sometimes not, but the stuff sells. It will take me a lifetime to sell what I have, so no reason to question every deal. Too many truckloads over the years.
Craigers17
On the flip side to this thread, as many of you already know, Pelican has a sale going on this weekend on selected parts. They have some pretty good discounts from vendors like 914rubber, PMB, Rennline, PMO, Dansk, Wurth, Empi, Koni, and other parts that they offer. While prices may have gone up, I'm grateful for all of the vendors who are offering more and more 914 parts for our cars.

BTW, if you're in the market for a Rennshifter, or anything "JWest", they are offering 20% on selected stuff through Pelican. Obviously I have no affiliation with any of this, but thought folks that didn't get the memo might benefit....especially while we are on the topic of prices. Happy Memorial Day to all!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.