Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brad Mayuer Long Kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dakotaewing
Title says it all...

I am prepping my car for this installation, and need a little guideance -
I have an older kit, and want to know what others did for the installation, where you welded it , if you drilled more holes for the welds, etc - Please post pics -
This thing is 12ga. metal -

TIA,
TE

Clay - I know you installed one of these on your car.... biggrin.gif
scotty914
there are 2 tech article on PP with the installation of his kit
dakotaewing
Thanks Scott -
I still would like to know if others have any insights - I will check PP now -

TE
Joe Bob
Best bet is to do it with the drivetrain out.....have a fire extinguiser handy and be prepared to screw up any paint job.....
SpecialK
The PO installed the ones on my '73. Looks like he did a peripheral weld, and drilled 5/16" holes completely through the stiffener and longs (and apparently the heat duct), inserted 5/16" threaded rod, big washers and nuts to clamp it all together, and tack welded the nuts/washers to the inner long, and outer stiffener.

Went out and counted 5 per side (rod/washer/nut), spaced about 7" apart. Let me know if you need a pic........I'll run to the store and get some batteries for the camera (AA's don't last long in a house with teenagers mad.gif )
SpecialK
By the way, Brad Mayuer is a member of this forum (can't remember his screen name off hand), maybe he'll chime in or you could send him a PM for details.
turbo914v8
Just about everything you need to know about the long kit.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=4&t=12376
IronHillRestorations
I have a set of Jorgensen "Mastadon" add on jaws for pipe clamps, which are perfect for clamping the stiffener to the long.

If your front door jamb supports are ok, then I cut the piece to fit to that.

You have to remove the triangular sill supports.

I also cut little welding "windows" in the door sill, at the vertical reinforcment ribs. This is so you can weld the top of the reinforcement piece where it contacts those ribs. The holes in the panels should line up with these vertical ribs, and this is where you rosette or fishplate weld.

I've found it easiest to completely grind off the weep hole "blisters" (does that make sense?) so the long panel fits flush to the long. Then I take a hammer and pound the lip of the pinchweld inward, to reproduce the "blister" so you'll still have weep holes. Brad originally has you crush these flat, but now likes my method.

I later do my chassis corrosion treatment after welding everything up.

I know Brad does (sometimes) install these with the engine in the car, but I never would. All the cars I've put them on have been total projects though.

I'll see if I have pics.
IronHillRestorations
A picture is worth a thousand words! wink.gif
IronHillRestorations
I didn't include the part about cleaning everything with soap and water, cleaning with prepsol, treating with acid, painting with weld through primer, etc.
dakotaewing
Perry,
Thanks for your feedback -
Can you tell me which triangular supports - the ones that support the
rockers ?- got that done -

To be honest, your idea of opening windows on the sill to weld the top is ingenius, but I am not so sure I could hide my welds when everything was said and done -

I may drill holes there and weld them in that manner -

Paul - Brad M's kit is an Outer reinforcement kit, and each side is SUPER heavy duty -

TE
ClayPerrine
There are some pictures here of my car with the kit installed and exposed.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (dakotaewing @ Aug 14 2005, 06:33 PM)
To be honest, your idea of opening windows on the sill to weld the top is ingenius, but I am not so sure I could hide my welds when everything was said and done -

Sounds like you've taken those supports off already.

On all the cars I've done the "windows" were covered by the black plastic sill covers.

The back piece that goes under the trailing arm mounting holes, will have about a 3/16" gap at the top between it and the inner wheel house. The first one I did, I just welded that gap with multiple passes. Subsequently, I use a piece of 1/8" gas welding rod as a filler and welded over that.
dkos
icon_bump.gif
914pipe
Hi there:

I would like to know were can I buy this kit?

Thanks
McMark
Taken from here:

Brad Mayeur (veldiadv@midwest.net) runs 914 Limited. The number is 309-694-1797. He’s a real gentleman and knows his stuff. I believe the kit costs about 320.00, shipped (July 1999).
marks914
I have the kit on my car, helped quite a bit, not to mention that I had some rust under my pass side jack point. If you can weld, even a little, its not too bad to do. The hardest thing for me was welding the downstanding flange to the kit. I did also add a few holes to weld through to the suspension console. The instructions were pretty good as well.

Mark

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

orthobiz
Possibly a more current e-mail:

p914@yahoo.com

While he owns a computer and has an e-mail account,
I think he is more an analog guy. I'd call him. He's usually
out to lunch with his mom on Fridays so try early morning or
late afternoon.

Paul
914pipe
Thanks guys... I really need this.

GeorgeRud
I like the analog guy reference. I've known Brad since about 1974, and he's definately a "keep it simple", "get it done" kind of fellow. He may let the phone go to the answering machine if he's working, but he'll always get back to you when he can. Truly a great asset to our community.

I have his kit on one of my cars, and you can feel the difference.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.