Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing Overspray from Targa top.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dunc
I have some overspray on the fiberglass top. I have tried WD 40 and toothbrushing with limited success. Any suggestions?
windforfun
Gently power wash the thing. If this doesn't work you might have to repaint the whole top. On the other hand, you might want to try some isopropyl alcohol first.
technicalninja
+1 to the alcohol suggestion. agree.gif

It's the first thing I try with paint transfer issues (accident damage) and it usually works great. Don't leave it on very long.

Another suggestion is to add a bit of abrasive to the WD40. Cigarette ash works well.
That concoction will remove dried permanent ink from a painted surface.

Human spit is another solvent that people overlook. Sometimes, depending on what is stuck to the paint, it works better than WD or alcohol.

Berryman's B12 is the last thing I will try. Don't leave it on for more than 5 seconds. It will damage the original paint if you give it any time. I'll spray it on a paper towel and wipe followed by soapy water immediately.

I will try the B12 only after everything else has failed and I'm to the point of a respray anyways. It's a "Hail Mary" last resort type of application.

Spit and WD have never damaged the original paint for me.
Alcohol will if left on long time. It "dulls" it
B12 will if left on more that 5 seconds. It removes it.
Dunc
Thanks guys. i will try it.
gereed75
Mineral spirits is my go to do no harm Solent of choice. Reasonably versatile non aggressive solvent

Products like B12 or various carb/brake cleaners are way more aggressive solvent packages including acetone and MEK that can soluablize all kinds of stuff with unintended consequences. Use sparingly with extreme caution as a last resort only.
r_towle
I have so many liquids to hide my mistakes.

wd40 is useless
oddly, brake fluid does work...but it may take off the underlying paint
Paint thinner...not so good
Goof off, sometimes its perfect
Laquer thinner...usually works with effort (brush and rags)
Acetone, last resort, assuming I will repaint.
r_towle
I have so many liquids to hide my mistakes.

wd40 is useless
oddly, brake fluid does work...but it may take off the underlying paint
Paint thinner...not so good
Goof off, sometimes its perfect
Laquer thinner...usually works with effort (brush and rags)
Acetone, last resort, assuming I will repaint.
windforfun
WD-40 is great for removing grease & tar splatter. It's good for removing some adhesives too. It's a very poor lubricant since its viscosity is very low. It doesn't stick around for very long.

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
nivekdodge
No pic? if you can't see it and its truly overspray not paint that's in the wrong place, Detailing clay or better yet one of these.

https://www.jbtools.com/s-m-arnold-ssp-580-...WIaAiwDEALw_wcB

once you buy one you'll never not have one.

Kevin

Kevin
windforfun
You don't want to change the surface finish. Or do you? Highly suspect IMO. What the fuck, give it a try.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.