Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bosch Blue Coil and stock coil retaining strap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
L-Jet914
For those of you who may have installed this Bosch Blue coil at some point and are using the coil bracket it comes with, I have found over the years it does stay put in the stock location of a 74 1.8 that is designed for the strap that latches into the engine case. I purchased a used coil strap recently only to find my original one when I wasn't looking for it haha, so now I have two. Anyways in order to make the stock ignition coil strap work with this Bosch Blue coil, I purchased a sheet of 3mm thick commercial neoprene rubber. I cut it to 32mm wide to allow the sheet to contact the engine case where the original coil rested against and cut it to length to wrap around the coil. The coil is now secured properly and is nice and snug with the new spacer. Please don't mind the state of my original engine firewall pad laugh.gif . I'm still working on the ol girl. @StarBear - the picture I want to show you of what I did as I didn't see an option for photo attachment in the PMs.
Dave_Darling
That should work fine. The blue coil is just a little bit narrower than the original coil was, so you need something to keep it from falling out of the bracket. I cut up an old bicycle innertube to wrap around my coil to fit it in the bracket on the engine tin that was used on some 914s.

--DD
StarBear
Great! I have some material from an old yoga mat that should work just fine to keep with my blue coil in case I have to use it. biggrin.gif
windforfun
I put shrink tubing on the old bracket.
porschetub
QUOTE(L-Jet914 @ May 29 2023, 10:16 AM) *

For those of you who may have installed this Bosch Blue coil at some point and are using the coil bracket it comes with, I have found over the years it does stay put in the stock location of a 74 1.8 that is designed for the strap that latches into the engine case. I purchased a used coil strap recently only to find my original one when I wasn't looking for it haha, so now I have two. Anyways in order to make the stock ignition coil strap work with this Bosch Blue coil, I purchased a sheet of 3mm thick commercial neoprene rubber. I cut it to 32mm wide to allow the sheet to contact the engine case where the original coil rested against and cut it to length to wrap around the coil. The coil is now secured properly and is nice and snug with the new spacer. Please don't mind the state of my original engine firewall pad laugh.gif . I'm still working on the ol girl. @StarBear - the picture I want to show you of what I did as I didn't see an option for photo attachment in the PMs.

I seem to remember the diameter is less than the stock black coil .
r_towle
Duct tape
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.