Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Wheel Hub to Spindle Spacer - 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DennisV
Would a 1970 914-6 front wheel hub assembly have an O-ring and spacer ring? I'm thoroughly confused.

They are listed in the parts catalog, but they weren't there when I took things apart.
Click to view attachment

I don't seen them in the workshop manual.
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
take a picture...
mgphoto
QUOTE(DennisV @ May 28 2023, 06:55 PM) *

Would a 1970 914-6 front wheel hub assembly have an O-ring and spacer ring? I'm thoroughly confused.

They are listed in the parts catalog, but they weren't there when I took things apart.
Click to view attachment

I don't seen them in the workshop manual.
Click to view attachment

It is a grease seal, not an o-ring.
pfreiburger
I don't know about an original 914-6 because I have never had one apart, but I have a pair of 911 strut assemblies and the spacer is definitely needed. The inner bearing race rides against it and the stepped section that fits nearest the base of the spindle has the surface that the wheel bearing seal lip contacts. I don't have the spacer at hand right at the moment, but could take a picture of one tomorrow night if it helps. Cheers!
pfreiburger
Actually, there is a grease seal and an O ring on at least some of the early 911 cars. The O ring is behind the spacer between it and the base of the spindle. I do not believe the 914-4 cars have these parts, but the 914-6 cars definitely do, they are shown in the parts diagrams.
mepstein
That piece is on every 914-6/911 strut. The metal lined rubber seal in the back of the front hub spins around it. Absolutely necessary. You use a press to install/remove. Available from Porsche, pelican, all the usual sources. $25-60 each.
Take a picture of your strut, post the pic and we can quickly tell if it’s already on your strut or you need one installed.
fixer34
I just did front bearings and rotors on my -6 last year. I don't recall #27 being a separate part, but if you compare the diagram with the shop pictures, you wil see it appears that spacer is already on the hub. As someone mentioned, I believe it is pressed on so it doesn't look like a separate piece.
rgalla9146

The spacer is a seperate part but most often remains on the spindle for life.
mepstein
QUOTE(fixer34 @ May 29 2023, 07:48 AM) *

I just did front bearings and rotors on my -6 last year. I don't recall #27 being a separate part, but if you compare the diagram with the shop pictures, you wil see it appears that spacer is already on the hub. As someone mentioned, I believe it is pressed on so it doesn't look like a separate piece.

It’s pressed on to the strut but it’s a wear item and can be removed and replaced. It doesn’t wear quickly but many of our parts are 50 years old so replace as needed.

Edit - here’s a pic and part #
davep
Yes, the spacer almost appears to be part of the spindle until you closely examine it. The O-ring appears to be the wrong size until you force it into place; too thick and too small a diameter, but when stretched into place it works. Neither are usually needed unless it becomes too worn or overheated.
DennisV
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 29 2023, 02:55 AM) *

Take a picture of your strut, post the pic and we can quickly tell if it’s already on your strut or you need one installed.

There appears to be a similar shaped part on the spindle. It doesn't seem removable as the parts catalog suggests. I also don't see an o-ring, but maybe that has just disintegrated over time.
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
There you go,,, Correct assembly, the o ring is behind the distance ring wich is a press fit..
technicalninja
That is a replaceable seal surface. Normally not replaced until the wheel bearing seal has damaged it and it will have a groove in it where the seal touches it.

95% of cars have that built in and when it's damaged you have to replace the strut/knuckle/spindle.

A replaceable seal surface ring is common on industrial equipment and large trucks (think Semis here).

I prefer a removable ring. It's the engineer's choice.

A non-replaceable ring is an accountant's choice.

914/4 had the non-removable ring.

914/6-911 had the removable ring.

Note: if you change the seal at normal maintenance intervals you will not damage either design.
Preventative maintenance is the key here.

Final couple tips, sometimes a micro sleeve is available to repair a damaged integral ring. This is a super hard super thin cylinder that fits tightly over the original shaft, and I've never seen one of those get damaged by a seal. Commonly used for crankshaft front or rear seals but it's worth looking for if you have a problem with any damaged seal surface. You search for this by diameter only. Lots of different sizes are available.

On replaceable sleeves I use a sleeve retainer compound. I haven't done a Porsche sleeve yet but something like this is what I use for trucks/industrial equipment.
https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-64000-Tempe...69631&psc=1
DennisV
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 29 2023, 10:20 AM) *

There you go,,, Correct assembly, the o ring is behind the distance ring wich is a press fit..

Should the o-ring be visible with the distance ring in place? I don't see it, but perhaps it's captured unless you remove the distance ring?
DennisV
dupe
davep
No, you will not see the O-ring when properly installed. Notice that the ring overhangs the area where the spindle meets the strut. The overhang on both sides allows for a puller to be used to remove the ring.
Mikey914
Wow I learn something new on these cars still on a regular basis.

914Sixer
I have a large washer tool that you put over the hub spacer and pull it on the hub using a two arm bearing puller. Point of puller goes in thick hole on back of strut.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.