Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Semi-trailing arm angle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Sbgunderson
Happy Memorial Day, I hope everyone is doing well.

I am working on a tube chassis design. And I was wondering how your semi-trailing arms sit at ride height. Also if someone has an idea of an acceptable range and how that might affect alignment.

It would probably be easiest to measure the angle on the top of the arm rather than the angle through the center of the wheel-bearing…. When you find a few minutes I would love to hear your semi-trailing arm angle at ride height!

Thank you in advance
Spencer
stownsen914
Not sure if there is an ideal angle per se. If you are looking to optimize and are open to moving things around, it would be ideal to set the roll centers where you want them (and for the front too). 914 rear roll centers are high due to the trailing arm design. There are some limitations if you are planning to use the standard trailing arms. Many people raise the pickup points so the arms aren't at such an extreme angle when the car is lowered. I think I raised mine 3/4" - that was what I could conveniently get.
Trackd
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Jun 10 2023, 06:43 AM) *

Not sure if there is an ideal angle per se. If you are looking to optimize and are open to moving things around, it would be ideal to set the roll centers where you want them (and for the front too). 914 rear roll centers are high due to the trailing arm design. There are some limitations if you are planning to use the standard trailing arms. Many people raise the pickup points so the arms aren't at such an extreme angle when the car is lowered. I think I raised mine 3/4" - that was what I could conveniently get.

How did you raise your rear pickup points? Any pictures?
Brett W
Copy this setup if you are building a tube chassis setup.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.