Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2023 stock tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
I need to replace the tires on a car I will be selling.
Stock Mahles on a 75/76

What are the 2023 choices people like for a street car?

Rich
shag
Hey Rich, I installed Michelin Defender 195/60 R15 88H on my 914 last year before going down to Octeenerfest in Sept. When we went to drive the Tail Of The Dragon a gentleman said if we wanted to go a little faster to follow him, my wife and I did. I thought I had driven my little 914 pretty darn aggressively at times around Pennsylvania and that I would enjoy a little trip. When we finally stopped to take a brake my wife got out off the 914, after her tears stopped, and said that she would never ever ride in my little 914 again if I insisted on driving like I just had. I am still amazed that not one of us had an accident by sliding off the road on one of those corners. It was the drive of a lifetime that I will never forget and am not sure I have the guts to try again this year. So if you like a great tire that definitely holds the road you may want to try these. Thanks again for helping me out with the steering wheel having pressure my key switch recently.
John
r_towle
QUOTE(shag @ May 29 2023, 07:04 PM) *

Hey Rich, I installed Michelin Defender 195/60 R15 88H on my 914 last year before going down to Octeenerfest in Sept. When we went to drive the Tail Of The Dragon a gentleman said if we wanted to go a little faster to follow him, my wife and I did. I thought I had driven my little 914 pretty darn aggressively at times around Pennsylvania and that I would enjoy a little trip. When we finally stopped to take a brake my wife got out off the 914, after her tears stopped, and said that she would never ever ride in my little 914 again if I insisted on driving like I just had. I am still amazed that not one of us had an accident by sliding off the road on one of those corners. It was the drive of a lifetime that I will never forget and am not sure I have the guts to try again this year. So if you like a great tire that definitely holds the road you may want to try these. Thanks again for helping me out with the steering wheel having pressure my key switch recently.
John

A great and hilarious story.
Keep driving like you stole it, YOLO
rick 918-S
Sandy and just had a serious laugh fest over that one! lol-2.gif av-943.gif great set of tires.
Dave_Darling
For a nice original look, check the Vredestein Sprint Classics in 165R15. For an even more period-correct look, Coker makes Michelin XZX reproductions.

--DD
bkrantz
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 29 2023, 11:27 PM) *

For a nice original look, check the Vredestein Sprint Classics in 165R15. For an even more period-correct look, Coker makes Michelin XZX reproductions.

--DD

Yes, very original--and very skinny. They make a 914 feel very light-footed, but also have original lateral grip.

Just for fun I ran the tire diameter calculations:

165R15 = 25.4"

and

185/70-15 = 25.2"
195/60-15 = 24.2"
195/65-15 = 25.0"
205/60-15 = 24.7"
205/65-15 = 25.5"

How low do you want to go?
r_towle
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 30 2023, 01:27 AM) *

--DD

Those xzx tire look to have about a 3 inch wide contact patch.
Wow
Literati914
I’ve been considering trying to source the Avon CR6ZZ in 185/70 for the 1.7/1.9 car :

https://www.vintagetyres.com/avon-cr6zz-a30...t-185-70r15-89v

(Just expensive tho)
flipb
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 30 2023, 12:27 AM) *

--DD

Vredestein also makes modern tread designs in the classic car sizes. I put T-Tracs in 165/80 R15 on my '74 and I've been happy with them. Speedo is pretty accurate, too.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 29 2023, 12:59 PM) *

Stock Mahles on a 75/76

Rich

Rich,

Unless your tires won't hold air, why replace them? Chances are most buyers would want a different tire anyway. Let them decide. Just speaking from experience.

-Dan
scallyk9
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ May 31 2023, 01:22 PM) *

Stock Mahles on a 75/76

Rich

Rich,

Unless your tires won't hold air, why replace them? Chances are most buyers would want a different tire anyway. Let them decide. Just speaking from experience.

-Dan

I agree. I'd offer an allowance for new tires. This is exactly how Nathan Merz (Columbia Valley Luxury Cars) and PCA's evaluation advisor handled the still useable but aged-out tires on the 914 he recently sold on bringatrailer.com
r_towle
QUOTE(scallyk9 @ May 31 2023, 05:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ May 31 2023, 01:22 PM) *

Stock Mahles on a 75/76

Rich

Rich,

-Dan

I agree. I'd offer an allowance for new tires. This is exactly how Nathan Merz (Columbia Valley Luxury Cars) and PCA's evaluation advisor handled the still useable but aged-out tires on the 914 he recently sold on bringatrailer.com

Good point, and all 5 hold air from the 90s
Root_Werks
Helped sell a 911 years back, was super proud to source a nice new set of RE71's only because the tires on the 911 were browning and very old. Buyer said it was a waste, tossed them for his preference of some Yokahama something.

Tires are expensive
Mounting and balancing is expensive
People have more opinions about tires then they do engine oil

Did get me thinking though, my spare tire in my Bug is 20 years old. Should probably swap that out.

smile.gif
r_towle
So I just need to finish 5 rubber lines, start it and sell it.

No more procrastinating.
Racer
fwiw, it might depend on where you sell the car.. ie, a nice car on BAT, an classic OEM size tire wont hurt. But, as others have said, most savy buyers will look at the car, the tires and decide.. I dont like those.. I want x.. so the appeal of not changing does have a certain allure to keep your selling costs low.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 31 2023, 03:47 PM) *

So I just need to finish 5 rubber lines, start it and sell it.

No more procrastinating.

You hit the nail on the head Rich. Rubber brake lines, pads, bleeding etc. Anything a potential buyer wouldn't want to potentially do, do it. Anything else like tires, wheels, even carpet = don't do unless you have to. 90% of the time, you've wasted your own money.
r_towle
But procrastinating is what I do
BENBRO02
QUOTE(shag @ May 29 2023, 07:04 PM) *

John

That was a fun day. Fay was an excellent passenger and didn’t distract me by screaming while we were on The Tail of the Dragon.
sithot
Roger Kraus is the Avon supplier for left coast. Avon's are NOT an inexpensive option.

https://rogerkrausracing.com/avon-tires/

I've used SascoSports at VIR-Virginia International Raceway. ("Nurburgring" USA biggrin.gif )

https://sascosports.com/tires.asp

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.