Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PC software
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
another914guy
What would be nice is a wiring harness that connected to various places on the engine with a line output that plugged into a laptop. Then a piece of software that took these engine outputs a displayed them graphically and let you tune the engine scientifically .I have seen machines, engine analyzers, in garages.

Is there PC software that simulates these engine analyzers?

Bill Pirkle
SirAndy
QUOTE (another914guy @ Aug 14 2005, 12:06 PM)
What would be nice is a wiring harness that connected to various places on the engine with a line output that plugged into a laptop. Then a piece of software that took these engine outputs a displayed them graphically and let you tune the engine scientifically .I have seen machines, engine analyzers, in garages.

except, there's nothing to tune on our engines ...
the "brain" is analog. all that stuff was built long before laptops ...

if you have a "brain" with a mixture knob, you can turn that one by hand!

now, if one was going to convert to a aftermarket FI, like the MegaSquirt or Link, that's a completely different story ...
wink.gif Andy
another914guy
Well we could measure spark plug firing, dwell, and FI pulse width using only inductors. Also MPS ohms to the brain. I would like to be able to watch the car run :-)

Bill
bd1308
I'd be intrested too.

very intrested.

it could even be expanded to allow for fault diagnosing (with many real sensitive inductors)...

injector #1 bad....

redshift
Great, 10,000 new problems.

M
SirAndy
QUOTE (another914guy @ Aug 14 2005, 12:40 PM)
Well we could measure spark plug firing, dwell, and FI pulse width using only inductors. Also MPS ohms to the brain. I would like to be able to watch the car run :-)

well, in your first post you said "tune" which implies you'd like to change things on the fly with your laptop ...

but if you just want to watch ...
biggrin.gif Andy
SLKWrx
thats all we'd need. Boot up the software..

"Welcome"

"You've got engine problems"

"4 New Valve Problems"

"Goodbye"
redshift
lol

A fatal exception 0E has occurred at clutch in throwout bearing inner race. The current trip to 7-Eleven will be terminated.

* Press any pedal to terminate the current drive. * Press IGN+CLTH+GAS to restart your car. You will lose any unsaved ignition in all applications.

Turn key to off position to continue cursing
ClayPerrine
The thought has bounced around the inside of my head for a few years for something like this.

I was thinking about a upgrade to the D-Jet or L-Jet injection tester. Just build an adapter that fits between the computer and the harness, and sends a serial data output to a laptop. Diagnostic software would have to be written to read the data and display each component's function. Add some data logging capability. Then take the car out and drive it around with the diagnostic connector installed and the laptop running.

Come back to the shop and run through the log on the GUI interface.

SirAndy
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Aug 15 2005, 07:34 AM)
Diagnostic software would have to be written to read the data and display each component's function.

i'll do the coding. $85 per hour. C++ (or C# for you MS weenies) ...

type.gif Andy
Mueller
QUOTE (another914guy @ Aug 14 2005, 12:06 PM)

Is there PC software that simulates these engine analyzers?

Bill Pirkle

Just buy an LM-1 or LC-1 from Innovate Motorsports, it'll log just about everything you need and give you 3D maps to view the information.

You could re-wire a megasquirt or almost any other programmable EFI to read or capture the sensors as well.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.