Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Lines - When to replace
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DennisV
Should oil lines of unknown age be proactively be replaced? Ours appear to be in good shape, at least superficially. They are pricey to replace, but certainly less expensive than an oil fire if that is a common concern.
Click to view attachment
johnhora
Dennis the oil tank vent lines are pricey...
I found that the old lines get very hard and brittle ...the rubber starts to crack...
It doesn't show up so much as the fabric cover just still looks ok but only dirty.
What happens is they will seep oil especially at the clamps. There is heat and and alittle pressure from the oil tank.
Over time it just adds a little bit of oil film the to engine compartment.
I used my old ones until I got tired of that and then just replaced them.
It doesn't hurt anything and gives you funds for more necessary items.
It's fun watching your progress getting your 914-6 back on the road.
John
Racer
if its that far apart, why not? No point in doing it twice. Plus, new clean lines will look good!

Remember, these 6s are now $100K cars.. you need to maintain them for what they are worth (even if for me, they are still stuck in my mind as $10k cars wink.gif ) You won't regret replacing the lines.. but you will regret it if they are a cause for a future fire.
gms
You can buy it at Autohaus AZ
they sell it in bulk by the meter
gms
This is the 1 meter 25mm hose
Click to view attachment
windforfun
IMO, it's time for a change. I would also put a cover on your relay board.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(gms @ Jun 2 2023, 09:24 AM) *

This is the 1 meter 25mm hose

That's actually a good deal for that.
DennisV
QUOTE(johnhora @ Jun 2 2023, 07:43 AM) *

If safety wasn't a concern, this may be what pushes me over the edge. I'm completely overhauling the engine and invested in a set of IDTP carbs. The idea of them covered in oil film is making me grimace.
QUOTE(johnhora @ Jun 2 2023, 07:43 AM) *

Thanks John. It is a fun project, but like most it has snowballed. Originally I thought I was just rebuilding an engine to put in a survivor. It quickly grew to include overhauled transaxle, as well as new fuel and brake systems for safety reasons. Trying to draw the line at that so I can hopefully drive it to Rennsport.
porschetub
QUOTE(johnhora @ Jun 3 2023, 03:43 AM) *

Dennis the oil tank vent lines are pricey...
I found that the old lines get very hard and brittle ...the rubber starts to crack...
It doesn't show up so much as the fabric cover just still looks ok but only dirty.
What happens is they will seep oil especially at the clamps. There is heat and and alittle pressure from the oil tank.
I used my old ones until I got tired of that and then just replaced them.
It doesn't hurt anything and gives you funds for more necessary items.
John

agree.gif and well said,I purchased mine from Pelican some years ago and yes is expensive ,issue I had was a leak @ my case breather ,finally got sick of the weep and oil mess on my nice clean engine so relaced the clamp, sorted .
r_towle
They are 50 years old.

Rich
Mark Henry
Even new expensive hose will collapse with that tight turn that's off the filler neck (top left) and under the bracket. I found an aluminum 90 degree bend (scrap lawn chair part) that I fit inside the hose (sanded sharp edges off, etc.)
Now it makes that sharp bend without collapsing.

I still get oil on top of my engine... even with new hose and spendy clamps. rolleyes.gif
rgalla9146
Most 6s I've seen have an OE 90 that makes the turn behind that upright. The OE steel one is a 'soft' turn but as Mark suggests there are other ways to avoid a kink.
Also, the tube on the oval cover has a small steel ball cast into the nipple.
I think it's there to prevent the hose from slipping off. With older hoses that have been on and off many times it can cause leaks.
DennisV
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 5 2023, 07:07 AM) *

Even new expensive hose will collapse with that tight turn that's off the filler neck (top left) and under the bracket.

I don't have a great photo of it, but there is a connector between the two pieces of hose on our car. If it is listed in the parts catalog, I haven't found it.

Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(DennisV @ Aug 19 2023, 03:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 5 2023, 07:07 AM) *

Even new expensive hose will collapse with that tight turn that's off the filler neck (top left) and under the bracket.

I don't have a great photo of it, but there is a connector between the two pieces of hose on our car. If it is listed in the parts catalog, I haven't found it.

Click to view attachment

According to the late Wes Hildreth, who worked at a Porsche dealer in the 70s, there was a notice sent to all the dealers about that line collapsing. They didn't supply parts, but suggested that the dealerships install a metal 90 degree bend in the line. So the dealer bought and installed a metal tube with a 90 degree bend in it every time they serviced a 914-6.

Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 5 2023, 06:07 AM) *

Even new expensive hose will collapse with that tight turn that's off the filler neck (top left) and under the bracket. I found an aluminum 90 degree bend (scrap lawn chair part) that I fit inside the hose (sanded sharp edges off, etc.)
Now it makes that sharp bend without collapsing.

I still get oil on top of my engine... even with new hose and spendy clamps. rolleyes.gif

Now you have me looking for a lawn chair I’m even peaking over the wall into the neighbors yard
johnhora
Clay...my 70' has a metal elbow there also....I can see how the hose would kink there especially when it was new and pliable...it's a tight turn around the engine lid stop brace
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.