Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition switch the problem?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ottomotion
Went to the local CnC this morning. While pulling in I thought the car tried to cut out, but it was early and the car was not fully warmed up yet so I parked and went walking about...
Getting ready to leave I went to turn the key in the ignition and it would not turn. Not steering-wheel-is-locked not turn, the key just wouldn't spin the cylinder.
So I wiggled and jiggled, pulled it out and put it back in over a few minutes and finally it turned...hurray!
However, it would not engage the starter. I thought maybe I hadn't fastened my seat belt or maybe the seat sensor was not working so I got out and wiggled some more wires.
Lights on dash and gauges are all powered up, just no starter.
Wiggled some more. Checked battery connects, etc still nothing.
Waited a few minutes, told my wife to start AAA and tried one more time...and for some reason, it started.
Quickly closed the deck and doors and tore out of there but immediately noticed it was cutting out. Seemed to be starving for gas.
Made it @ 100 yards and she quit running.
I could still turn the key.
It would still turn the engine over.
Lights on dash and gauges all operating.
But it seemed like it was out of gas (it was not)
Anyway, AAA rescued us and here I am looking for a little guidance before I start tearing into it.

Is this sounding like a failed ignition switch?

Thanks in advance...
porschetub
QUOTE(Ottomotion @ Jun 4 2023, 08:31 AM) *

Went to the local CnC this morning. While pulling in I thought the car tried to cut out, but it was early and the car was not fully warmed up yet so I parked and went walking about...
Getting ready to leave I went to turn the key in the ignition and it would not turn. Not steering-wheel-is-locked not turn, the key just wouldn't spin the cylinder.
So I wiggled and jiggled, pulled it out and put it back in over a few minutes and finally it turned...hurray!
However, it would not engage the starter. I thought maybe I hadn't fastened my seat belt or maybe the seat sensor was not working so I got out and wiggled some more wires.
Lights on dash and gauges are all powered up, just no starter.
Wiggled some more. Checked battery connects, etc still nothing.
Waited a few minutes, told my wife to start AAA and tried one more time...and for some reason, it started.
Quickly closed the deck and doors and tore out of there but immediately noticed it was cutting out. Seemed to be starving for gas.
Made it @ 100 yards and she quit running.
I could still turn the key.
It would still turn the engine over.
Lights on dash and gauges all operating.
But it seemed like it was out of gas (it was not)
Anyway, AAA rescued us and here I am looking for a little guidance before I start tearing into it.

Is this sounding like a failed ignition switch?

Thanks in advance...

From what you have told us I wouldn't say it's your ignition switch as you still have key on power and cranking.
I would go to ignition wiring checks,then check your points, rotor etc,tends to look like a coil that had broken down burnt out.
Good luck sorting this ,cheers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.