Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BMW caliper question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
B2524
Ok so I know there are BMW calipers that fit the solid rotors and have no spacer between the caliper halves. Also there are calipers with spacers that fit vented rotors.
My question is did they make a caliper without a spacer that fits the vented caliper??
Background: I bought two calipers from rock auto and had a brain fart thinking I could use them on a low buck 14 roller that I have without realizing that the rotors I had used were vented. To me surprise the left caliper fit along with the pads which were new. The left caliper has no spacer. When I went to install the right side it didn’t fit. Also the pads won’t allow a vented rotor.

If someone has a wide caliper with or without a spacer I’m in the market. Thanks
bdstone914
QUOTE(B2524 @ Jun 4 2023, 04:17 PM) *

Ok so I know there are BMW calipers that fit the solid rotors and have no spacer between the caliper halves. Also there are calipers with spacers that fit vented rotors.
My question is did they make a caliper without a spacer that fits the vented caliper??
Background: I bought two calipers from rock auto and had a brain fart thinking I could use them on a low buck 14 roller that I have without realizing that the rotors I had used were vented. To me surprise the left caliper fit along with the pads which were new. The left caliper has no spacer. When I went to install the right side it didn’t fit. Also the pads won’t allow a vented rotor.

If someone has a wide caliper with or without a spacer I’m in the market. Thanks

The 1978 BMW 320i was a one year only caliper that had a spacer allowing it to be used with vented rotors. Most rebuilder sites have them the same as later years. I have had two pairs of them. A spacer from another ATE caliper will probably work if you can find the right one.

@patmc
rick 918-S
Contact PMB. They will get you what you need correctly the first time.
Eric_Shea
I’ve never seen a vented rotor BMW steel caliper of that era that did not require a spacer.

There were economies of scale at play here. The 320i was not the only car those calipers came on. The spacer allowed ATE to cast one caliper for multiple manufacturers.

The A-Caliper is the best example. A is for Alfa but it ended up on 912E’s and Alfas without spacers 308’s and 911SC and Carrera models with 7-9 and 11mm spacers. Various BMW and Mercedes as well.

The 911/912 M-Caliper is another example. No spacers on the solid rotor 911’s and 912’s. When the 911S came along in 1967, the car got vented rotors all around and the calipers got spacers. This caliper lasted in both configurations through the aforementioned 912E when they ran out and started using that spacerless A-Caliper.

Bottom line, no caliper I know of that was made specifically for vented rotors without a spacer.

I think I responded to a previous post that we had spacers available.
PatMc
Post a picture of the one you've got with no spacer that fits over the vented rotor...curious to see what it is.

I have a single core with spacers....they were used on 76-8/77 320i as well as the euro market 323i....if anyone needs it or has a mate (doesn't even have to be the other side...I have plenty of solid rotor cores)

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.